Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 12, 2024, 02:20:09 am

Author Topic: Lacking motivation in English  (Read 749 times)  Share 

SkiesTheLimit

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • I live and breathe to despise Tottenham Hotspur ;)
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Lacking motivation in English
« on: January 09, 2015, 09:29:17 pm »
I have a very serious problem at the moment with English. I'm very good at English, I enjoy it and it is the subject I do best, however I lack real motivation.

I don't really try and usually bludge the subject. The bad thing is I consistently receive A's and beyond (Not being cocky in any way shape or form, serious matter here folks). I really can't be bothered reading the books that are assigned to us and I've done this for a number of years now.

Add that to the fact that I have lost that innate passion for reading that I used to have when I was younger. I hardly read books because quite frankly, nothing really interests me. I read the odd Biography of a world figure every now and then but other than that, it's quite simply zilch/nothing/nada.

I'm hoping someone can help me address these issues and also if you can, maybe help me out in suggesting some books that can not only further enhance my writing skills but also interest me as well. Any suggestions are welcome :)

Thanks in advance.

The Usual Student

• Forum Leader
  • Wisdom begins in wonder
  • Respect: +24
Re: Lacking motivation in English
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 11:28:11 pm »
+2
I can relate as well. Not just for English, but when people are typically good at a subject they tend to fall into the trap of just bulging it. It wasn't until I got same bad scores in English that I started to really kick in to my studies. Since you are moving into year 11, I can confidently say that you are going to experience some hardships in English in one way or another. Hopefully this will instigate your passion in the subject again. Also, if you enjoy it I would believe studying would be easier since you are actually enjoying yourself. If that doesn't work, just remind yourself how crucial it is to your atar. That should get your interest going. Lol

As for reading. Try so more challenging books to get you interested. By challenging I mean classical books like Darcula by Bram Stocker. I recently got into them and I feell much more in engaged since it is actually a lot harder to comprehend, hence, you must concentrate more on the words when reading.

M_BONG

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 12:40:52 am »
+3
Two things:
1. You are worrying too early, mate :) You're going into Year 11 this year and I dare say nothing you do in Year 11 will significantly jeopardise your SS in Year 12 because you start off with a clean slate.

2. You gain motivation for English by thinking of the texts not as a chore and language analysis as something interesting (I admit, it's pretty hard to find LA interesting lol). The way I learned was reading on the background and context of the text. Eg. Why did Shakespeare write X and what real world messages are being conveyed by the text? Every text you learn in English will have, directly or indirectly, some real life message and purpose. That is where you gain your motivation - to learn something because you can, not because you want good grades :)

Good luck - and don't worry too much. English is an enriching subject, if you allow it to be!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 12:42:35 am by Zezima. »

SkiesTheLimit

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • I live and breathe to despise Tottenham Hotspur ;)
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 07:16:26 am »
As for reading. Try so more challenging books to get you interested. By challenging I mean classical books like Darcula by Bram Stocker. I recently got into them and I feell much more in engaged since it is actually a lot harder to comprehend, hence, you must concentrate more on the words when reading.

Thanks, I'll definitely look into it.

Two things:
1. You are worrying too early, mate :) You're going into Year 11 this year and I dare say nothing you do in Year 11 will significantly jeopardise your SS in Year 12 because you start off with a clean slate.

2. You gain motivation for English by thinking of the texts not as a chore and language analysis as something interesting (I admit, it's pretty hard to find LA interesting lol). The way I learned was reading on the background and context of the text. Eg. Why did Shakespeare write X and what real world messages are being conveyed by the text? Every text you learn in English will have, directly or indirectly, some real life message and purpose. That is where you gain your motivation - to learn something because you can, not because you want good grades :)

Good luck - and don't worry too much. English is an enriching subject, if you allow it to be!

I understand what you mean but I want to have a good foundation for when I do get into Year 12 and develop good study habits. The texts that I've done in class I haven't understood fully, I've only got those reasonably high marks on the back hearing what's been going on in class. I only really enjoyed English in the first semester where we learned about Texts such as News Articles/Editorials/Opinion pieces as well as a booklet that we done on the concept of 'power' (which included an assignment and documentary about the Stanford Prison experiment).

I'm just not excited by the prospect of writing 3 essays in an English exams about things I don't find particularly interesting but like you say I'm still only Year 11 so lots can happen in a short space of time.

Thanks for the help