Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 11:55:16 am

Author Topic: Should I do uni enhancement Biology?  (Read 1953 times)  Share 

jadeee

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Glen Waverley S.C
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Should I do uni enhancement Biology?
« on: September 15, 2011, 04:36:55 pm »
I'm thinking about doing Biology enhancement for next year 2012.

Anyone who has done it - how is the course/syllabus? Are the concepts challenging or hard to grasp?

The reason I'm unsure is that considering the Uni Enhancement increments are changing next year, will it be very difficult to obtain a good increment, provided that I work hard? What I'm trying to say that does it require a lot of work (more than a normal VCE subject) to maintain an 80 - 90 average grade?

I have no idea how university subjects are graded so for all I know, a 70% average could be hard to obtain.

If I do a Uni enhancement, I'm planning to drop French (which I'm not very good at) so it'll free up a lot of time for me. Incidentally, does a Uni enhancement require as much work as a foreign language?
2011: Biology
2012: English | Chemistry | Maths Methods | Accounting | French

Jdog

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +19
Re: Should I do uni enhancement Biology?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 05:14:46 pm »
Hi,

I am doing an uni subject this year, and it is great. However the onyl thing it will become alot hardrer next year to do well in it. Getting a 5 means getting a 90/100 which is quite hard. I would not advise doing one next year, as french in particular, if you worked had at it would be more advantageous to your study score.

Furbob

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • diagnosed with poo brain
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 10:08:10 pm »
from what ive heard from my friends doing uni bio, most of uni bio is a revision of 1/2 and 3/4 and they did minimal work during the first semester (it was the day after their chem midyear) and pulled off a distinction but they said this semester is a lot easier

and with foreign languages (or just Japanese in particular) it's a lot more relaxed than VCE since there's no general conversation or detailed study which is quite demanding but im pretty sure it can vary for each language course and the way its structured

2011 : English | Accounting | MM CAS | Further | Japanese | MUEP Japanese
2012 : BA(Japanese&Chinese)/BComm @ Monash Clayton

school_boy

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 12:21:30 pm »
Hi,

I'm currently doing a Bio at Uni as an Enhancement subject and I'm finding the assessments to be pretty easy. Although there is a lot of theory work involved, the tests and assignments are not hard (easier than VCAA exams).

i.Bat.

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 09:44:47 pm »
Hi, I'm doing extension biology too at Melbourne this year. I have to say, to do well you do have to give the subject the amount of attention that you would give a vce subject. Yes the assessment(bar exam) are very easy, but the exam may be challenging if you do not give it the amount of effort that you would an ordinary vce subject. First semester i managed to get first class honours, i loved the syllabus which covered most of 1 2 3 4 units, but the second semester begins easy but gets harder (i.e) remembering classifications, different characteristics of animals and plants etc. ) It's not impossible, I've done it. But you have to put the work in to get the marks. It's certainly not a walk in the part to get the sort of increment you would be aiming for.
2011: Methods.[37] Chemistry.[42] Physics.[40]English. [38]UMEP Biology[5.5]

2010: Biology (43)

ATAR: 96.7