Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 11:25:10 am

Author Topic: Year 12 Japanese Next Year - Kanji?  (Read 8085 times)  Share 

Fink

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Westbourne Grammar School
Year 12 Japanese Next Year - Kanji?
« on: December 14, 2011, 12:54:56 am »
My biggest downfall when it comes to Japanese is my ability to comprehend and produce Kanji. For one reason or another, I feel as if my Kanji knowledge is inadequate in comparison to my classmates. How much of an impact can Kanji have on your grades? How many Kanji are we expected to know by the end of Year 12? Does anyone have any tips on how to study better for Kanji? (Particularly over Summer holidays.)
ATAR Predictions 2012 - English [04] - Literature [13] - Japanese [12] - VisCom. [03] - Maths Methods [09]

LOLs99

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +7
Re: Year 12 Japanese Next Year - Kanji?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 01:02:57 am »
Lol, I thought kanji are pretty hard to write.. so don't worry, it's hard to rmb it and I assume no one actually knows every kanji..
2014-2016: 

2017-2018: Master of Engineering

liuetenant

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 09:51:52 am »
there is really no short cut to learning it :P for me, i was kinda lucky coz i'm asian :P (canto) and so i could recognise the kanji or ask my parents for help if i didn't get them. In school, we weren't really expected to learn them. Rather, it was our personal study thing. what i found helped was that i looked at the kanji (particularly the hard-ass kanji that looks like a black blob when you try to write them with texta) and tried to make connections between certain parts of the character.

or i may look at it and tried to get a picture out of it.

For example: 好<--pretend  this is acutally difficult) i can work out that there's two simpler parts to it: 女(girl) 子(boy). As it kind of favoured (aka, "liked") in asian countries for a woman to produce a son, i kind of connected it with the kanji: like. AKa, i "like" a woman to have a son...and so on. Lol.

LOl. Yeah, my spewing crap. If making connections don't really work, just rote learn them, i guess. Look, cover, write, check, helps too :P

I found that only a couple of kanji are used on the exam. But learn the VERBs of kanji! if you don't know the verb, the entire sentence won't really make sense :P
2010: TNT (39)
2011: English (42) | Bio (39) | Chem (35) | Jap (35) | Methods (36)|

ATAR: 95.50 ( i actually got my prediction! :D)

kensan

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Do you even lift?
  • Respect: +20
  • School: L.C.
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 10:40:43 am »
Yay Jap board has some activity haha

Do you have the pink "Kookoo Seikatsu Kanji Workbook'? It has all the prescribed VCE Jap SL Kanji that you need. It's 150 for use and another 50 for recognition. When I did Jap this year I already knew most of the kanji at the start of the year, because we did most of it in year 11.

Go to page 14 to see the kanji: http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vce/studies/lote/japanese2nd/JapaneseSLSD.pdf

If you want to do well in this subject then it is definitely a good idea to know all the kanji. When it comes to the exam you won't need to know all of them but then again you won't know which ones will come up, so it's better to learn them all IMO :P

And as far as learning them, I just wrote them over and over and over again until I memorized them. Try a few different ways and see what works best for you.

Good luck :D
2013: BSc at UoM

Furbob

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • diagnosed with poo brain
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 09:37:44 pm »
+1
print off all 200 VCE kanji and stick it on your toilet door. period.
2011 : English | Accounting | MM CAS | Further | Japanese | MUEP Japanese
2012 : BA(Japanese&Chinese)/BComm @ Monash Clayton

liuetenant

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 10:18:02 pm »
+1
play the kanji game at school! just write all kanji on individual cards...have your teacher read out the english, or the hiragana of it...and dive for the kanji! person with the most cards gets a japanese lolly!!

(man i'm going to miss my jap class :P)

myheaven

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 01:55:52 am »
I used an app called kanji LS, which I found really helpful, but you have to pay for it ("have to" >_>)
Otherwise whenever I was writing something in japanese, and I forget the kanji, I'd "punish" myself by writing it 20 times without fail, if I fail, I start again and write the kanji 20 times.
Repetition is bad I know, but when you were cramming what was previously very obvious kanji a week leading up to the exam, it worked well LOL
2010: Psych [46]
2011: English [40] Jap [41] Methods [34] Legal [35] BM [33]

Charmz

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +16
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 11:57:04 am »
+1
Cue cards were the best way for me to learn kanji. Actually making them myself was even more helpful because i had to write them down and all. But you wouldn't need to know them all, try learn as many as you can and perferably the ones which come up all the time. The examiners will take marks off if you don't use kanji for most of the ones you are supposed to know. Don't try learn them all at once though, I find learning the english meaning for a handful of kanji and adding more to them really works. It's how I learnt all my katakana in one day in yr 7!! (I was excellerating into yr 8 at the start of the year and the yr 8's knew all their katakana, not to brag).

liuetenant

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 09:54:13 am »
speaking of apps, there's a "cue card" type app that anki...

you can acutally download default cue card packs...im pretty sure there was a pack of all kanji in jltav? ...alternatively, you can make your own of the 200 prescribed kanji :D

jibba

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • 日本のミカタ
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 08:42:27 pm »
+1
I just finished VCE japanese this year and received a high mark (not telling :P)
But I recommend learning ALL the VCE kanji over the summer holidays

At our school on the booklist was the KOOKOO SEIKATSU Kanji Workbook
I finished this book over the summer holidays, so I pretty much already knew all of the VCE kanji before the term started.
Of course, you have to revise them regularly otherwise you forget, but if you learn them all properly during the summer holidays,
you can revise them 1-2 days before exam/sacs and be able to write them all during them.
I am not from an chinese-asian background so I usually had errors in the strokes of the kanji, but that is something you need help from a teacher to fix

Also if you have Iphone/Itouch I recommend: iKanji and Kotoba! (free)
And for internet: jisho.org
ie: http://jisho.org/kanji/details/%E6%89%8B%E7%B4%99
step-by-step kanji guide
Good Luck!

2011: Japanese SL [50] ATAR: 99.40
2012-2017: Arts/Law at Monash
My Japanese Advice Thread Q/A and advice for 2012/Future VCE Japanese Students
2013: Currently tutoring VCE Japanese. JLPT N2
2014: Exchange to Hitotsubashi University, Japan (April - August) & Seoul National University (September - December). JLPT N1
2017: Tutoring VCE Japanese/Offering VCE Japanese notes email : [email protected]

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 08:48:44 pm »
JIBBA!

Very high mark ;)

jibba

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • 日本のミカタ
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 10:36:54 pm »
+2
Woah, it's ! Lol, Go back to your sciences section :P

Moderator action: removed real name, sorry for the inconvenience
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 12:12:03 am by pi »

2011: Japanese SL [50] ATAR: 99.40
2012-2017: Arts/Law at Monash
My Japanese Advice Thread Q/A and advice for 2012/Future VCE Japanese Students
2013: Currently tutoring VCE Japanese. JLPT N2
2014: Exchange to Hitotsubashi University, Japan (April - August) & Seoul National University (September - December). JLPT N1
2017: Tutoring VCE Japanese/Offering VCE Japanese notes email : [email protected]