Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 08:12:32 pm

Author Topic: question!  (Read 1873 times)  Share 

starr

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
question!
« on: June 01, 2012, 07:51:35 pm »
Hi Everyone   :D
Got my 2nd sac coming up (on fieldwork).. we are doing the Toolangi state forest

I was wondering if i was asked how to refer to a map of Toolangi and explain why it has a strong spatial interaction with the metropolitain area.. how i would do so?

are there any other options than the obvious highways/city/toolangi because it allows movement of people etc.

Thanks in advance  :)

John B

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Melbourne High School
Re: question!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 10:54:13 pm »
Hi Starr,
Spatial Interaction usually refers to how people intereact with a resource. The Toolangi state forrest may experience spatial interaction from people in the metropolitan area (ie. visitors to the park, who spatially interact with the park by visiting, walking etc.) It will only have a strong degree of spatial interaction if there is a direct link with metro. visitors (link to survey data you may have completed). Spatial association would be a way to explore how highways allow the city and toolangi to be spatially associated with mutual spatial interaction by metro. residents.
In the exam you may be asked to talk about spat. interaction I'd use the example of people interacting with the park throught he use of paths or visitor centres.
Best of luck with the SAC.
-John

starr

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 12:21:37 pm »
Thankyou for replying John, it makes it much clearer for me.

We have also been asked to use a vegetation map of Toolangi (for where Mountain ash grows - we drew this ourselves) and write how Toolangi fits into a greater regional picture of forest use. I do not exactly understand what this question is even asking!

That would pretty much be the only other question I have other than, how to refer to climate and population graphs if you or anybody else could give me some insight that would be great.

Thanks again John!

John B

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Melbourne High School
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 09:33:26 pm »
I haven't been to Toolangi Forrest/didn't do a forrest for field work. However, in terms of regional forrest use sustainable timber production might be worth a mention in relation to your vegeatation map.
'The township of Toolangi is situated on the edge of the Toolangi State Forest. Not only is this Forest utilised for sustainable timber production, it is very popular with deer hunters, fisherman, bushwalkers, trail bike riders, horse riders, 4×4 drivers, birdwatchers, campers, nature lovers and those who just wish to go for a drive within 1½ hours of Melbourne.' - Wikipedia
The above statement might also help with your spatial interaction. But definitely mention the sustainable timber production (define sustainable ie. rate of production is not exceeded by rate of use) in relation to the vegetation map. If you don't have to link in the vegetation map bring up how and why the forrest is used (exercise/natural beauty and deer/fish according wikipedia).

Now. Climate and population graphs. For where/what? Visitors (population graph) and forrest (climate). I think I can predict some lovely spatial association with Spring and high visitor numbers, and Winter and low visitor numbers. Just talk about the relevance of data to the forest for whatever it is you're trying to make. If its about the origin or visitors you could do a sphere of influence as well. In my report I also compared visitor numbers on a nice day (25 degress/ sunny) and a terrible day (17 degrees/ rain) which linked climate to population very well.

Hope that helped. If you need anymore help feel free to ask. Not enough people do geography so it's good to see people aiming to beast it/do well.
Best of luck with the project. 

starr

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 07:15:46 pm »
Thanks again for clearing that up  :)
We have already had the SAC and I'm hoping I did relatively okay as geography is not my strongest subject!