Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 07, 2024, 11:01:55 am

Author Topic: probability help  (Read 773 times)  Share 

Zahta

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
  • School: <<<
probability help
« on: September 02, 2012, 07:49:13 pm »
can you guys please help with question 4 and 5b . thanks alot to anyone that helps

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Overloading, just don't do it.
  • Respect: +631
  • School: Western Suburbs Area
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: probability help
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 08:01:46 pm »
+1
The main thing here is to realise that the area under a probability density function has to add to 1. So if we integrate it and let it equal 1, we can solve for k. Also that we need to use limits to evaluate this one as we get an in one of the terminals.

a)

Now what happens as t approaches infinity? will become very small and approach , so we are left with

(If you have trouble with this part, visualise it and draw it out :) )

b) Now the will be given by the area under the probability density function from negative infinity to 2, but in this case the function is 0 for y<0, so our terminals become 0 to 2.

5) t-intercepts at and , since there is a negatie coefficeint on only one of the t's, it will be a parabola with a maximum. The function will need to be restricted to as the probability density function has to be equal to or greater than 0 for all t.
a)

b) Now for it to appear within 7 days of contact we are looking for the area under the probability density function for .

EDIT: Added q5 and graph.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 08:27:52 pm by b^3 »
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)
TI-NSPIRE GUIDES: METH, SPESH

Co-Authored AtarNotes' Maths Study Guides

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

Zahta

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
  • School: <<<
Re: probability help
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 08:29:39 pm »
okay you know how you used t for , i can choose any number great then or equal to zero right, and i will get tge same thing ,thankyou so much