Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 09:58:56 pm

Author Topic: students studying hamlet. I have a question.  (Read 1110 times)  Share 

BigAl

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +43
  • School: Isik College
students studying hamlet. I have a question.
« on: October 30, 2012, 12:57:59 pm »
"I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams." - Hamlet this quote can be interpreted into different perspectives. Even Stephan Hawking interprets into cosmological sense. Now I'm not doing literature and don't know the content of hamlet at all. Can I use this quote in identity and belonging to explore the idea that I can define who I am...just an individual by myself..no matter what others think about who I am. I might be confined by other people however I can be a king of my world..stuff like that.. What's the closest interpretation of this quote? I'm really wondering. Thanks heaps   
2012 ATAR:88.90

2013-2015 Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering and Science (dropped in 2015)
2015-2017 Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical)

Lolly

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +114
Re: students studying hamlet. I have a question.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 06:09:06 pm »
+1
"I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams." - Hamlet this quote can be interpreted into different perspectives. Even Stephan Hawking interprets into cosmological sense. Now I'm not doing literature and don't know the content of hamlet at all. Can I use this quote in identity and belonging to explore the idea that I can define who I am...just an individual by myself..no matter what others think about who I am. I might be confined by other people however I can be a king of my world..stuff like that.. What's the closest interpretation of this quote? I'm really wondering. Thanks heaps   

I think this would be a really good quote to incorporate into your context piece! Yes, it is about Hamlet's struggle to embrace his identity and the nature of reality. Just remember that this encapsulates Hamlet's constant inner conflict, so it would be a good idea to talk about how there are difficulties in accepting identity as well. I'd also say that this quote is more about Hamlet's persona being undefined  and the terror that comes from being in this position. It's true the human mind has a lot of freedom when it's detached from the constraints of space and time. However, as well as being liberating, endless possibilities can also be very frightening or even nightmarish. So with that train of thought you could talk about the moments of sheer uncertainty that come with searching for one's place in the world. Or at least that's my take on things ;) Hope that helped somewhat.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 06:14:12 pm by lozmatron »