Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 10:38:47 pm

Author Topic: Ask a question.  (Read 6410 times)  Share 

TonyEcon

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Ask a question.
« on: November 04, 2012, 10:54:04 am »
If you have any questions which you feel need answering, feel free to post them here and I will answer them to the best of my ability :)
Bachelor of Law/Commerce @Monash
Premier's Awards:
Australian Politics (50) and International Studies (50)
Private Message for tutoring

TonyEcon

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
Re: Ask a question.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 12:46:53 pm »
Just asked the same question on the International Studies board, what should we be focusing on ? with 12 days left for the exam ?

Again, a very similar answer to your other post. If I was you, I'd make sure I have a holistic understanding of the course.

For instance, if an essay topic says something to the effect of 'is this representative?' You might say something like

"whilst it can be seen that... improves representation, it erodes on ....(perhaps accountability/other democratic principles)'

You're basically demonstrating that you understand that there are trade offs with improving any element of a democracy.

I wrote this very quickly, I sincerely hope it makes sense, feel free to message me for clarity.
Premier's Awards:

mseleanor

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: Mercy College
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 01:25:14 pm »
Is there anything in particular you think makes a really excellent essay?
What are the characteristics of a 20/20 essay, or an 18-19/20 essay?
2013: VCE
2014: Arts/Law @ Monash University

TonyEcon

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 07:13:27 am »
+2
Is there anything in particular you think makes a really excellent essay?
What are the characteristics of a 20/20 essay, or an 18-19/20 essay?

A clear contention which acknowledges the intricacies of the question.  In national politics there is no straight forward answer and many students fall into the trap of providing superficial responses.

For example: If the question asks "Which is more democratic US v. Australia pol systems"

- A good essay would distinguish between which system is better in theory and which is better in practice.  For example, Bill of rights, great in theory but in practice, PATRIOT act gets through... is it really the safety net that it is supposed to be?

- Would acknowledge that both democratic systems aim to achieve different ends, for example, US on a checks and balance system Australia on accountability (hence Separation of powers versus non separation of powers)

- goes about achieving democratic principles in totally different ways, which in a sense, makes them different and incomparable the whole apples v oranges. For example, representation: Australia we have compulsory voting, we have a far stronger electoral system and very few people are disenfranchised. Contrast that to the US, terrible electoral system, but in congress there is no party discipline and multiple caucuses which means the individual electorate is represented. Which one is more representative? hard to say, although I'd conclude on Australia.  Also, need to acknowledge the different political cultures of the countries, US independence vs. Australian monarchy and the influence/implications that has had on democracy

Hope this helps, again, it was a very quick response. 
Premier's Awards:

mseleanor

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 11:39:13 am »
That's very good advice, thank you!

I know what you mean about superficial responses, I've been working on avoiding falling into that trap.

Would it be too much to ask for me to send you a practice essay and have you give me a quick opinion on it?

TonyEcon

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 11:41:42 am »

I know what you mean about superficial responses, I've been working on avoiding falling into that trap.

Would it be too much to ask for me to send you a practice essay and have you give me a quick opinion on it?

No problem, send it to [email protected]
Premier's Awards:

mseleanor

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 11:51:56 am »

No problem, send it to [email protected]

Thank you muchly!

TonyEcon

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 01:53:28 pm »
Corrected. Send me another essay, I want to help you work on your topic sentences. I hope I'm not too critical in my corrections.
Premier's Awards:

geemajic

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: St. Columba's College
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 10:58:54 am »
Are there any workshops or seminars for Australian Politics?
2013: Australian Politics, Business Management, English, Further Maths and Legal Studies.

"Daenerys Stormborm of House Targaryen, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons"

geemajic

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: St. Columba's College
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 12:50:25 pm »
Hi, can i send an email with a practise essay?
2013: Australian Politics, Business Management, English, Further Maths and Legal Studies.

"Daenerys Stormborm of House Targaryen, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons"