Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 03:46:46 pm

Author Topic: .  (Read 2535 times)  Share 

andrewloppol

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
« on: June 13, 2009, 01:59:02 am »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 04:24:35 am by andrewloppol »

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
Re: Biology UMEP anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 03:08:31 am »
Not me, but UMEP is a great choice regardless, easy 5.5

dekoyl

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 03:41:19 am »
easy 5.5
... >_>
I don't do UMEP biology but I do UMEP maths.

UMEP maths, for me, is great fun. The workload is minimal and it frees up a lot of time during your school week (and it depends if you use that free time wisely).
The marking for UMEP maths is 10% coursework and 90% exams or 0% coursework and 100% exams (depends on which combination gives you the best score) so it is possible to not do any work for the whole year and still do well. :)
Go ahead and do it if it really interests you. And if you don't get in.. keep buggering them :P

Good luck

Edit: Oh and I just found out what the "Chk chk BOOM" in /0 sig refers to =D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 07:26:12 am by dekoyl »

shinny

• VN MVP 2010
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +256
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 12:31:01 pm »
I'm not too sure about UMEP Biology, but my current uni Biology is basically a repeat of units 3/4, so it'll probably free up a lot of time for you next year in terms of study.
MBBS (hons) - Monash University

YR11 '07: Biology 49
YR12 '08: Chemistry 47; Spesh 41; Methods 49; Business Management 50; English 43

ENTER: 99.70

shinny

• VN MVP 2010
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +256
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 01:14:46 pm »
Have a look at the course outline if there is one. I can't guarantee it'll all be the same stuff, but it's likely to be.
MBBS (hons) - Monash University

YR11 '07: Biology 49
YR12 '08: Chemistry 47; Spesh 41; Methods 49; Business Management 50; English 43

ENTER: 99.70

monicak

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 08:45:29 pm »
I did UMEP Biology last year, in addition to 5 other subjects (same subjects as you are planning on studying, with German as the LOTE). Although this was manageable, I probably wouldn't advise it. However, as a 5th subject in year 12, UMEP Bio is a great choice! The material taught is not too challenging; some overlap and extension of 3&4 coursework and some new concepts (eg. behaviour of animals, more advanced genetics, detailed plant structure and function, animal structure etc). Assuming that you are doing well in vce biology, you should have no problems getting 5.0 points with practically no study or 5.5 points if you treat it as another vce subject.

Unfortunately, the teacher at my school centre wasn't very good and wasn't particularly helpful. Looking at the assistance and mentoring that I now get at uni, it is probably a lot more comprehensive than what was provided in UMEP bio. I also found the pracs extremely boring :S The travel involved, particularly since it was after school, got a bit annoying as well.
However, if you enjoy biology and are fairly good at it, you should definitely do umep bio to gain a few "easy" points ;)

mystikal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 10:02:01 pm »
Since everyone seems to be advising for UMEP biol, im gonna bring in the other perspective so you get both views.

I reccommend indonesion, basically for the fact that it has
-good scaling  
-you want to maxmise your chances of getting a good a score, and at the same time have a subject you can fall back on if you stuff up on an exam, indonesian could be that subject with 35+ RAW scaled to 40+ and it has potential to be a safety net for your top 4 or might be in your actual top 4.
-at max your UMEP Bio will only give you 5.5 however in reality it is only an extra at max 3.5 considering if you get your 5/6th subject ss being 20 something, but i doubt that.  
-travel seems to be a bit of trouble unless you live close to it.

people might not agree to my reasons but i just wanted to provide the other side to the decision you are going to make, so that you make the best judgement which suites you without any regrets.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 10:03:52 pm by mystikal »

AzureBlue

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 05:44:38 pm »
I'm not too sure about UMEP Biology, but my current uni Biology is basically a repeat of units 3/4, so it'll probably free up a lot of time for you next year in terms of study.
You make UMEP subjects sound easier than 3/4s! Are they really (after you have done the 3/4 of the subject)?