Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 06:54:39 am

Author Topic: FACILITIES LAYOUT QUESTION  (Read 550 times)  Share 

YMCA

FACILITIES LAYOUT QUESTION
« on: May 29, 2013, 07:16:57 pm »
Hi guys,

I did my SAC today; there was a question where we had to identify the facilities layout the organisation was using.

I'm not 100% on the number of stores, but the case study was about a furniture manufacturer that produced outputs/furniture for alot of stores (I think it was 300).

I chose the product layout, and I'll try remember what I wrote: The product layout is a facilities layout in which goods and resources are moved from workstation to workstation in a sequential order. This is a suitable layout for a manufacturer wanting to produce high volumes of one standardised product. This method would ensure productivity and efficiency with the resources. Also known as assembly line, produces the furniture in a repetitive way.  blablaa. I wrote a fair bit, and pretty well, linking to the case study. But I did however, forget to mention the amount of stores it was providing for.

From what everyone else is saying, which I think is right aswell, is the process layout, due to it producing a variety of products, in which I believe 'furniture' would go under. It makes sense that the furniture would be created in little workstations with all the required equipment/resources required, but in 'low volume,'-that was why I chose product. I explained it really well, of what the product layout was and the advantages to it, but I forgot to link it to the number of stores it was providing for which could be damaging.

Do you think, if I am marked wrong, that I would have some sort of argument? When the case study just says 'a furniture manufacturer,' with a diagram that said it more or less produced 'furniture and accessories,' I'm pretty sure I could find a loophole.