Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 07, 2024, 03:53:44 am

Author Topic: Actual VCE Exam Paper: English  (Read 7051 times)  Share 

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
Actual VCE Exam Paper: English
« on: November 02, 2007, 04:02:08 pm »
Originally posted and assembled by Toothpick:

Section 1

Section 1 - Part 1

1. A Man for All Seasons
How does the Common Man enable the audience to understand the complexities of More's character?

2. A View from the Bridge
Early in the play Alfieri says of Eddie: ?He was as good a man as he had to be in a life that was hard and even?.
Is this how you see Eddie?

3. Blueprints for a Barbed-Wired Canoe
"We?ve become paranoid for no reason,? Craig said
'Fear keeps the people of ur together, yet alone.?
Discuss.

4. Citizen Kane
The film Citizen Kane is organised like a search, an investigation into the mystery of Kane?s life.
How effectively does this structure reveal Kane?s character?

5. Don?t Start Me Talking: Lyrics 1984-2004 (Paul Kelly)
?If happiness comes your way
Wear it lightly, friend
It may not last too long?
?Paul Kelly?s lyrics depict lives of disappointment and loss. ?

6. Fine Line
?To do their job well, journalists have to do things that make them feel uncomfortable.?
Discuss.

7. Generals Die in Bed
?Where are we going? We wonder.?
Does the war have any meaning for the soldiers?

8. Hamlet
?At the beginning of the play, Hamlet has lost all sense of purpose. He is a very different Hamlet at the end of the play.?
Discuss.

9. Hard Times
?Mr. Gradgrind, though hard enough, was by no means so rough a man as Mr. Bounderby. His character was not unkind, all things considered . . .?
Do you agree?

10. Home
?We are outsiders, you and I,? Grigor tells Elizabeth.
?This is a story of displacement and the challenges involved in dealing with it.?
Discuss.

11. If this is a Man
?Despite his experiences Levi does not lose his belief in the goodness of people.?
Do you agree?

12. I?m Not Scared
?Ammaniti uses a child narrator to expose the greed and cruelty of the adult characters in the text.?
Discuss.

13. Inheritance
Maureen accuses Felix: ?Because you?re from the city, you think you know everything?.
Are the characters from the city so very different from their relatives in the country?

14. In the Lake of the Woods
John?s mother says: ?It wasn?t just the war that made him what he was?.
From your reading of the text, what motivates John Wade?s actions?

15. Lantana
?In Lantana the film-maker creates an atmosphere that reflects the emotional state of the characters.?
Discuss

16. Look Both Ways
?The characters in Look Both Ways find it impossible to control their fears in a world that is shown to be random and unpredictable.?
Discuss.

17. Minimum of Two
?Even at their loneliest, Winton?s characters are defined by the significant relationships in their lives.?
Discuss.

18. Nineteen Eighty-Four
?It is Winston?s vulnerability that defeats him, not the strength of his enemies.?
Discuss.

19. Of Love and Shadows
?The characters in the text accept that living in shadows has become a way of life.?
Do you agree?

20. Romulus, My Father
Gaita writes, ?Compassion went unusually deep in my father?.
To what extent does the text support this view?

21. Selected Poems (Sylvia Plath)
?Plath?s poetry is ultimately about the search for self.?
Do you agree?

22. Sky Burial
What finally enabled Wen to accept Kejun?s fate?

23. The Accidental Tourist
?Macon changed from a man to whom things happen to one who makes choices.?
Discuss.

24. The Baghdad Blog
?I have so little control over my life these days, let alone understanding where the world is heading to.?
How does Salam Pax convey his growing sense of powerlessness as the threat of invasion grows?

25. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
Christopher?s father tells him: ?We all make mistakes, Christopher. You, me, your mum, everyone. And sometimes they?re really big mistakes. We?re only human?.
?This is the story of coming to accept that the world is not perfect.?
Discuss.

26. The Kite Runner
?The tragedy for these two boys is that although Hassan is like Baba their father, Amir is not.?
Do you agree?

27. The Plague
?Dr Rieux is shown to be powerless in his eddorts to deal with the plague in Oran.?
Do you agree?

28. The Quiet American
The priest says to Fowler, ?I expect you are a good man. I don?t suppose you?ve ever had much to regret?.
Is the priest shown to be right about Fowler?

29. The Stories of Tobias Wolff
?Wolff describes the everyday experiences and dreams of ordinary people who are obsessed with keeping up appearances.?
Discuss.

30. Voices & Visions from India
?It is the skilful combination of word, music and visual image in this text that most effectively reveals aspects of life in India.?
Discuss.

Section 1 - Part 2

1. A Man for All Seasons
?A Man for all Seasons demonstrates that a society?s values are really only the desires of its most powerful group. There is no place for the individual.?

?This text demonstrates the difficulty of upholding moral integrity when consumed by passion.?
Discuss.

?This text suggests that communities are both created and destroyed through self-interest.?
Discuss.

4. Citizen Kane
?This text shows that wealth and power are not satisfactory substitutes for loyalty and friendship.?
Discuss.

?Paul Kelly?s lyrics illustrate that it is love ? not material possessions ? that matters most.?
Discuss.

6. Fine Line
?This text demonstrates that winning trust involves the risk of betrayal.?
Discuss.

7. Generals Die in Bed
?This text shows us that in war there is no herism, no bravery ? only fear ? ?Selfish, fear-stricken prayers . . .?.?
Discuss.

8. Hamlet
?This text exposes the ways in which guilt influences behaviour.?
Discuss.

9. Hard Times
?Hard Times demonstrates the importance of emotional as well as intellectual growth.?
Discuss.

10. Home
?This text shows that strong connections to family are important for an individual?s sense of wellbeing.?
Discuss.

11. If this is a Man
?This text shows that valuing ourselves can give life meaning when we are in the depths of despair.?
Discuss.

12. I?m Not Scared
?I?m Not Scared shows that there can be no winners when physical strength and moral strength are in conflict.?
Discuss.

13. Inheritance
?Inheritance challenges the authenticity of what we see as Australian values: a fair go for all and the family as a cherished institution.?
Discuss.

?This text demonstrates that although society values truth, individuals shape their own version of it.?
Discuss.

15. Lantana
?Lantana shows that emotional honesty is more important than emotional strength.?
Discuss.

16. Look Both Ways
?Look Both Ways demonstrates the power that relationships have over our lives.?
Discuss.

17. Minimum of Two
?Winton?s stories demonstrate that to find happiness, people should accept life as it is rather than be forever striving to achieve something else.?
Discuss.

18. Nineteen Eighty-Four
?Nineteen Eighty-Four shows that hatred has a more powerful effect upon people?s actions than love.?
Discuss.

19. Of Love and Shadows
?This text demonstrates that in the end, human nature, in goodness and strength, can overcome cruelty and injustice.?
Discuss.

20. Romulus, My Father
?This text tells us that a respect for truth is essential for a happy life.?
Discuss.

?Plath?s poetry is suggests that our inner world exerts a more powerful control over our lives than do the people around us.?
Discuss.

22. Sky Burial
?Sky Burial shows that it is the journey, not the discovery, that is life-changing.?
Discuss.

?The Accidental Tourist shows that what we learn in childhood dictates what we value and how we live as adults.?
Discuss.

24. The Baghdad Blog
?This text illustrates that human behaviours is always motivated by exploitative and selfish aims.?
Discuss.

?This text shows the importance of listening to and respecting people who are different.?
Discuss.

26. The Kite Runner
?The Kite Runner shows that cultural values have the power to overcome the values held by the individual.?
Discuss.

27. The Plague
?This text suggests that it is the moral obligation of individuals to do their duty in the face of the tragedies that life brings.?
Discuss.

28. The Quiet American
?The Quiet American demonstrates that the sacrifice of one individual may be justified if this saves many lives.?
Discuss.

?Wolff?s stories demonstrate the difficulty of living life without self-deception.?
Discuss.

?This text shows that individuals will suffer if their society is reluctant to accept difference.?
Discuss.

Section 2

Are we overprotected?

Section 2 - Part 1

Analysis of language use
Complete the following task.
In a coherently piece of prose, analyse the ways in which language is used to present a point of view in both opinion pieces found on page 14 and 15.

Section 2 - Part 2

Presentation of a point of view
Complete one of the following tasks. Draw on the material provided on pages 13-17 as you think appropriate.
You are to speak at a public forum. Your topic is ?Are we overprotected??.
Write a speech expressing your point of view on this topic.

OR

The daily newspaper is conducting an essay competition. The topic is ?Are we overprotected??.
Write your essay for this competition.

OR

You have read the two articles in the daily newspaper (reproduced on pages 14 and 15).
Write a letter to the editor of the newspaper expressing your view on whether we are overprotected.

Section 2 - Resource

Toothpaste

• pseudospastic
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Member #10
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 04:05:30 pm »
My post looks homo here.

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 04:06:28 pm »
Well if you'd done it originally here, and not chosen BoS over FSN, it'd have its original looks and stuff. As it stands, you didn't. :(

Toothpaste

• pseudospastic
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Member #10
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 04:08:34 pm »
Anchor tags don't work here.

In the end, it's still your fault.

Give me better credit, like, enlarge "Toothpick".

maxleng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 04:13:04 pm »
wow you can actualy be fucked doing that the day when u finished your exam... you must have been really bored  :?

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 04:13:32 pm »
No. You posted it there and have been advertising BoS all afternoon. You're lucky I don't ban you :(

Toothpaste

• pseudospastic
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Member #10
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 04:24:46 pm »
Quote from: "enwiabe"
No. You posted it there and have been advertising BoS all afternoon. You're lucky I don't ban you :(

You don't want to ban me. That's why I'm still around. Hahahahahaha.

Yes, I'm bored shitless.

Nah, I have this "do one nice thing for someone else" a day, thing I have going on. This counts.  :twisted:

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 05:01:24 pm »
Don't tempt me to ban you because I seriously like power trips. :D

Sheikh05

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 05:06:17 pm »
Quote from: "enwiabe"
Don't tempt me to ban you because seriously I like power trips. :P

Do not test this man. He is a force to be reckoned with.

*is reckoned*

Toothpaste

• pseudospastic
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Member #10
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 05:12:37 pm »
Bring it.

reg

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 05:15:01 pm »
I suppose if you plagarize, may as well do it properly :P!
Delete my post as seen fit, if/after you decide to move it to top.

Originally assembled by Toothpick.

Section 1

Section 1 - Part 1

1. A Man for All Seasons
How does the Common Man enable the audience to understand the complexities of More's character?

Early in the play Alfieri says of Eddie: ?He was as good a man as he had to be in a life that was hard and even?.
Is this how you see Eddie?

"We?ve become paranoid for no reason,? Craig said
'Fear keeps the people of ur together, yet alone.?
Discuss.

4. Citizen Kane
The film Citizen Kane is organised like a search, an investigation into the mystery of Kane?s life.
How effectively does this structure reveal Kane?s character?

?If happiness comes your way
Wear it lightly, friend
It may not last too long?
?Paul Kelly?s lyrics depict lives of disappointment and loss. ?

6. Fine Line
?To do their job well, journalists have to do things that make them feel uncomfortable.?
Discuss.

7. Generals Die in Bed
?Where are we going? We wonder.?
Does the war have any meaning for the soldiers?

8. Hamlet
?At the beginning of the play, Hamlet has lost all sense of purpose. He is a very different Hamlet at the end of the play.?
Discuss.

9. Hard Times
?Mr. Gradgrind, though hard enough, was by no means so rough a man as Mr. Bounderby. His character was not unkind, all things considered . . .?
Do you agree?

10. Home
?We are outsiders, you and I,? Grigor tells Elizabeth.
?This is a story of displacement and the challenges involved in dealing with it.?
Discuss.

11. If this is a Man
?Despite his experiences Levi does not lose his belief in the goodness of people.?
Do you agree?

12. I?m Not Scared
?Ammaniti uses a child narrator to expose the greed and cruelty of the adult characters in the text.?
Discuss.

13. Inheritance
Maureen accuses Felix: ?Because you?re from the city, you think you know everything?.
Are the characters from the city so very different from their relatives in the country?

John?s mother says: ?It wasn?t just the war that made him what he was?.
From your reading of the text, what motivates John Wade?s actions?

15. Lantana
?In Lantana the film-maker creates an atmosphere that reflects the emotional state of the characters.?
Discuss

16. Look Both Ways
?The characters in Look Both Ways find it impossible to control their fears in a world that is shown to be random and unpredictable.?
Discuss.

17. Minimum of Two
?Even at their loneliest, Winton?s characters are defined by the significant relationships in their lives.?
Discuss.

18. Nineteen Eighty-Four
?It is Winston?s vulnerability that defeats him, not the strength of his enemies.?
Discuss.

19. Of Love and Shadows
?The characters in the text accept that living in shadows has become a way of life.?
Do you agree?

20. Romulus, My Father
Gaita writes, ?Compassion went unusually deep in my father?.
To what extent does the text support this view?

?Plath?s poetry is ultimately about the search for self.?
Do you agree?

22. Sky Burial
What finally enabled Wen to accept Kejun?s fate?

?Macon changed from a man to whom things happen to one who makes choices.?
Discuss.

24. The Baghdad Blog
?I have so little control over my life these days, let alone understanding where the world is heading to.?
How does Salam Pax convey his growing sense of powerlessness as the threat of invasion grows?

Christopher?s father tells him: ?We all make mistakes, Christopher. You, me, your mum, everyone. And sometimes they?re really big mistakes. We?re only human?.
?This is the story of coming to accept that the world is not perfect.?
Discuss.

26. The Kite Runner
?The tragedy for these two boys is that although Hassan is like Baba their father, Amir is not.?
Do you agree?

27. The Plague
?Dr Rieux is shown to be powerless in his eddorts to deal with the plague in Oran.?
Do you agree?

28. The Quiet American
The priest says to Fowler, ?I expect you are a good man. I don?t suppose you?ve ever had much to regret?.
Is the priest shown to be right about Fowler?

?Wolff describes the everyday experiences and dreams of ordinary people who are obsessed with keeping up appearances.?
Discuss.

?It is the skilful combination of word, music and visual image in this text that most effectively reveals aspects of life in India.?
Discuss.

Section 1 - Part 2

1. A Man for All Seasons
?A Man for all Seasons demonstrates that a society?s values are really only the desires of its most powerful group. There is no place for the individual.?

?This text demonstrates the difficulty of upholding moral integrity when consumed by passion.?
Discuss.

?This text suggests that communities are both created and destroyed through self-interest.?
Discuss.

4. Citizen Kane
?This text shows that wealth and power are not satisfactory substitutes for loyalty and friendship.?
Discuss.

?Paul Kelly?s lyrics illustrate that it is love ? not material possessions ? that matters most.?
Discuss.

6. Fine Line
?This text demonstrates that winning trust involves the risk of betrayal.?
Discuss.

7. Generals Die in Bed
?This text shows us that in war there is no herism, no bravery ? only fear ? ?Selfish, fear-stricken prayers . . .?.?
Discuss.

8. Hamlet
?This text exposes the ways in which guilt influences behaviour.?
Discuss.

9. Hard Times
?Hard Times demonstrates the importance of emotional as well as intellectual growth.?
Discuss.

10. Home
?This text shows that strong connections to family are important for an individual?s sense of wellbeing.?
Discuss.

11. If this is a Man
?This text shows that valuing ourselves can give life meaning when we are in the depths of despair.?
Discuss.

12. I?m Not Scared
?I?m Not Scared shows that there can be no winners when physical strength and moral strength are in conflict.?
Discuss.

13. Inheritance
?Inheritance challenges the authenticity of what we see as Australian values: a fair go for all and the family as a cherished institution.?
Discuss.

?This text demonstrates that although society values truth, individuals shape their own version of it.?
Discuss.

15. Lantana
?Lantana shows that emotional honesty is more important than emotional strength.?
Discuss.

16. Look Both Ways
?Look Both Ways demonstrates the power that relationships have over our lives.?
Discuss.

17. Minimum of Two
?Winton?s stories demonstrate that to find happiness, people should accept life as it is rather than be forever striving to achieve something else.?
Discuss.

18. Nineteen Eighty-Four
?Nineteen Eighty-Four shows that hatred has a more powerful effect upon people?s actions than love.?
Discuss.

19. Of Love and Shadows
?This text demonstrates that in the end, human nature, in goodness and strength, can overcome cruelty and injustice.?
Discuss.

20. Romulus, My Father
?This text tells us that a respect for truth is essential for a happy life.?
Discuss.

?Plath?s poetry is suggests that our inner world exerts a more powerful control over our lives than do the people around us.?
Discuss.

22. Sky Burial
?Sky Burial shows that it is the journey, not the discovery, that is life-changing.?
Discuss.

?The Accidental Tourist shows that what we learn in childhood dictates what we value and how we live as adults.?
Discuss.

24. The Baghdad Blog
?This text illustrates that human behaviours is always motivated by exploitative and selfish aims.?
Discuss.

?This text shows the importance of listening to and respecting people who are different.?
Discuss.

26. The Kite Runner
?The Kite Runner shows that cultural values have the power to overcome the values held by the individual.?
Discuss.

27. The Plague
?This text suggests that it is the moral obligation of individuals to do their duty in the face of the tragedies that life brings.?
Discuss.

28. The Quiet American
?The Quiet American demonstrates that the sacrifice of one individual may be justified if this saves many lives.?
Discuss.

?Wolff?s stories demonstrate the difficulty of living life without self-deception.?
Discuss.

?This text shows that individuals will suffer if their society is reluctant to accept difference.?
Discuss.

Section 2

Section 2 - Part 1

Analysis of language use[/i]
Complete the following task.
In a coherently piece of prose, analyse the ways in which language is used to present a point of view in both opinion pieces found on page 14 and 15.

Section 2 - Part 2

Presentation of a point of view[/i]
Complete one of the following tasks. Draw on the material provided on pages 13-17 as you think appropriate.
    You are to speak at a public forum. Your topic is ?Are we overprotected??.
    Write a
speech expressing your point of view on this topic.[/list]
OR
    The daily newspaper is conducting an essay competition. The topic is ?Are we overprotected??.
    Write your
essay for this competition.[/list]
OR
    You have read the two articles in the daily newspaper (reproduced on pages 14 and 15).
    Write a
letter to the editor of the newspaper expressing your view on whether we are overprotected.[/list]

Section 2 - Resource

Toothpaste

• pseudospastic
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Member #10
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 05:18:35 pm »
Haha reg. That looks so much better.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 05:22:17 pm »
Looks like a nice Section 2 issue to write on.

joechan521

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 08:45:32 pm »
Quote from: "coblin"
Looks like a nice Section 2 issue to write on.

yes, i liked it.

but i couldnt find much techniques in the piece to analysis.
and i couldn't tell the tone
06 method47 chinese 2nd language advanced39
07 english39 specailist44 accounting44 further48 psychology35
07 ENTER 99.15

brendan

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 08:52:22 pm »
omg they had like some kinky domination porn as a pic