Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:52:13 pm

Author Topic: Anyone have any tips for classics or notes they'd care to share?  (Read 4624 times)  Share 

msrachyh

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Anyone have any tips for classics or notes they'd care to share?
« on: November 07, 2013, 12:40:02 pm »
I know this is kind of dead, but thought it was worth a post.
I spontaneously decided to do classics 3/4 next year, have never done a history before. I've done Latin and Literature before, so hopefully they might come in handy.

Does anyone have any tips for the subject? What's the course load like? I've downloaded all the notes on here already, but if anyone does anyone have any other notes they'd care to share? Many thanks!

Thucydides

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Anyone have any tips for classics or notes they'd care to share?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 11:04:26 pm »
+1
Hey! I did classics in 2012 and it is far the best subject of the VCE! What texts are you doing?

From my experience, the work load with classics was quite a pain in the ass, and I was only in year 11 so it was quite easy for me to drop all my other subjects and focus on it! I couldn't imagine doing it in Year 12!

I did both Latin and Literature as well as classics throughout VCE and they definitely do help! In classics essays when it comes to discussing socio-historic context, your ancient culture knowledge that comes from Latin will surely help you out there, and for literature (if you are a good writer), you should have no problem.

I got an A+ on the exam, and the best tip I can give you is: know your texts really well (especially your comparison texts), and when you have to do your two short answers, make sure you kept your answers really precise, make a point about a technique and an idea, then move on - it is the essay in the exam that forces you to write 15 paragraphs+ that will chew up most of your time!

Nevertheless, classics is my passion and its a great subject - it will really change your outlook on everything!

My texts in 2012: Iliad 16
                            Temple of Zeus at Olympia and its Sculptures
                            Herodotus and Thucydides
                            Agamemnon and Medea
Good luck!

« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:19:45 pm by Thucydides »
2012: Classical Societies and Cultures [42]
2013: Literature [43] | English [47] | Indonesian SL [45] | Latin [50] | Legal Studies [36]