Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 01:02:09 am

Author Topic: English language vs english  (Read 1123 times)  Share 

Only Cheating Yourself

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: -32
English language vs english
« on: January 08, 2014, 11:06:31 pm »
Hi, i already chose  english but could change it as i've been thinking about it the last few days, i already finished my english h/w which was reading 2 novels but i'm not the best at English and have to work on my essay writing etc…  But i did attend the english language orientation day and just didn't think it was for me, i forced my self to like it but it felt to sciencey?  which isn't my thing.  I looked at the book and it had a lot of those punctual things like all these things which i've forgotten over the years and it was talking about how the words e came from etc, i don't know what to do?  The thing that appeals to me is that it scales up!  I know you're not suppose to look at scaling when deciding a subject but if I'm average at english… couldn't i get a better score in language?
'My belief is stronger than your doubt'

aqple

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +14
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: English language vs english
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 02:43:12 am »
+2
Choose the English subject that you believe you can do the best in, which in your case seems to be general English. Because if English language doesn't appeal to you and you aren't really into it, you won't get the higher score compared to what you could get in general English, even if it scales up by a bit.

Just think of it this way... you say you need to work on essay writing for English, if you were to do English language, would that require you to work on even more? Say the "punctual things" you'd have to learn and memorise or the language analysis skills or the more specific type of essay writing, etc. Consider the subject that you feel will allow you to achieve your best potential results by looking at your skills and preferred learning type.

Remember, if you pick a subject because it scales up a bit, but don't like the subject and aren't particular interested, you'll most likely do worse than if you chose a low scaling subject that you like/don't dislike as much.

Good luck!
VCE 2014 - English Language | English | Studio Arts | Psychology | Legal Studies

Currently studying B-Arts @ UoM

~Tutoring English Language [47] in 2015~
Offering online essay correction service/tutoring - PM for details