Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 10:51:06 pm

Author Topic: turkish scaling!!  (Read 3934 times)  Share 

Basak97

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
turkish scaling!!
« on: February 26, 2014, 07:33:57 pm »
I am currently a year 12 student and I completed VSL year 12 Turkish in year 1 and achieved a study score of 40 however I am very sad that it is going to get scaled down. I was really surprised to hear that a language got scaled down. i was wondering do we benefit at all for doing a language because that’s what I thought since the government encouraged LOTE?
And is it true that it is better to do a language out of school?
Please somebody help
Thanks

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +118
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: turkish scaling!!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 07:41:27 pm »
+1
Scaling is a mathematical process. Trying to approximate the level of competition in a subject using a bunch of formulas is not going to be 100% accurate, but it's the best thing that we've got.

The government does have a policy of encouraging LOTEs through increased scaling. What happens is that once they get the mean and standard deviation for the scaled distribution, they add 5 to the mean - basically shifting the distribution across five scores. After the bonus, the mean of the scaled distribution for Turkish in 2013 was 29.2. This means that without the bonus, the mean would have been 24.2 - so it would have scaled down even more. (The significance of 24.2 is that it is the mean of all the scaled scores of everyone who has completed Turkish.)

Just like any other subject, the best place to do it would depend on the quality of teachers, where you are most comfortable individually, et cetera. There are a number of extremely high-quality language schools, primarily for East Asian languages I believe.

BigAl

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +43
  • School: Isik College
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 08:17:06 pm »
Merhaba
I completed Turkish in y12 in 2012 and achieved a study score of 35. It was definitely beneficial for me because Turkish is my first language.So I achieved that score with no effort at all... I could've done better than that though.

As Polonomial said, scaling is a mathematical process and it is subject to change depending on each year's statistics. When I did Turkish my aggregate score was 34. Don't look from VCE perspective..A second language is always a plus thing. So every word you learn will be beneficial.

Although your score gets scaled down, i don't think it's gonna be huge...An aggregate score between 35-40 is always good. One of my friends got 38 in Turkish but his atar was 99 :)

I don't find the teaching of Turkish very good. I graduated from ISIK College and its teaching was terrible...If you have any questions, pm me :)
BOL ŞANS :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 08:23:04 pm by BigAl »
2012 ATAR:88.90

2013-2015 Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering and Science (dropped in 2015)
2015-2017 Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical)

Only Cheating Yourself

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: -32
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 09:01:31 pm »
Konusma lan, lol (Recep Ividek).  Yea don't get why Turkish scales down.
'My belief is stronger than your doubt'