Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 03:58:49 pm

Author Topic: [URGENT HELP NEEDED] PHOTOSYNTHESIS PRAC SAC  (Read 827 times)  Share 

tzacchary

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
[URGENT HELP NEEDED] PHOTOSYNTHESIS PRAC SAC
« on: March 30, 2014, 10:53:21 pm »
So my SAC is tomorrow and I have questions I need to do, and I'm stuck.
I'm doing the one with leaf disks in water and bicarbonate and then bicarbonate x4 but wrapped in different coloured cellophane. (hopefully some of you are doing a similar prac to me and understand what i'm talking about)

What is the control in this experiment?
Why do the leaf disks sink when a vacuum in the syringe is created? (I think it's got something to do with air bubbles or the O2 going out of the cell?)

Thank you so much!
2015: 89.10 ATAR (VCE)
2016-2018: BSc (Major in physiology, minor in Pharmacology, Developmental biology. Unaccredited minors also in biochemistry and immunology) Monash Uni
2019-2022: MD (University of Melbourne)

auds

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +21
Re: [URGENT HELP NEEDED] PHOTOSYNTHESIS PRAC SAC
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 11:02:39 pm »
The bicarbonate solution without any cellophane acts as a control for the bicarbonate solution with cellophane wrapped around it. The clear cellophane acts as a control for the coloured cellophane.

Because the gases trapped in the spongy mesophyll layers of the leaf are forced out, the leaf discs are not buoyant, therefore sinking.

Hope that helped !
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 11:34:34 pm by auds »
Pls do not send me a pm about Aspire applications. The process has vastly changed since I applied.

Indo SL [50]
My Indo Advice Thread :)

Tutoring for Methods in 2020.
Click here for more info

tzacchary

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Re: [URGENT HELP NEEDED] PHOTOSYNTHESIS PRAC SAC
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 11:24:32 pm »
The bicarbonate solution without any cellophane acts as a control for the bicarbonate solution with cellophane wrapped around it. The clear cellophane acts as a control for the coloured cellophane :)

Because the gases trapped in the spongy mesophyll layers of the leaf are forced out, the leaf discs are not buoyant, therefore sinking :)

Hope that helped !

Thank you so much!
2015: 89.10 ATAR (VCE)
2016-2018: BSc (Major in physiology, minor in Pharmacology, Developmental biology. Unaccredited minors also in biochemistry and immunology) Monash Uni
2019-2022: MD (University of Melbourne)