Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 10:16:11 pm

Author Topic: Maths Question Help ASAP  (Read 1144 times)  Share 

Eyes-_-

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Maths Question Help ASAP
« on: June 13, 2014, 01:24:01 pm »
Expand and Simplyify
(2√5-√2)^2

LoL its short but I just cant work it out also i suck at surds except for the basics.

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: Maths Question Help ASAP
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 01:34:22 pm »

So,

10/4 =/= something nice, 10/9 =/= something nice, so this surd is irreducible and can be left as sqrt(10).

Eyes-_-

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 02:29:54 pm »
Thanks but i think if thats in the exam ill pass lol

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 02:32:24 pm »
Good - remember, in any exam, stick to your strengths. I don't know much about the selective entrance tests, but I'd assume you won't be able to finish it, so do the things you can do easily first, and do things like this that you can't do as easily last.

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 02:41:14 pm »
Good - remember, in any exam, stick to your strengths. I don't know much about the selective entrance tests, but I'd assume you won't be able to finish it, so do the things you can do easily first, and do things like this that you can't do as easily last.
Actually I'd go with the opposite but from personal experience with selective school exams, if there's a question you can't do then on the paper circle the question and make a quick guess and move on. The trouble in doing the 'easier' questions first in selective school exams (especially with English Comprehension) is that you don't know the order in which they're in and ultimately if you do choose to leave questions out and come back to them later could do more harm than good. An example of this would be if say you leave Question 13 blank and move onto Question 14 but when you fill in your answer for Question 14 you'll fill in Question 13 and you continue to fill it in normally until you realise you're answering Question __ when you're not on the same question number so you'll have to backtrack to wherever (which in a selective school exam could prove costly since time and nerves are involved) so your mind might not pick up that mistake until later on (most of the time you'll pick it up when they tell you how long you have left).

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 02:48:12 pm »
+1
Okay, probably better to go with Indefatigable than me, considering, hahah. However, one thing I do like to do, if you have reading time (never even bothered trying for a select-entrance school, don't know if this is a thing), look over the questions, and see if you can find an order of questions you can do them in. Don't make it confusing (like 7 - 2 - 5 - 1 - 9 - 8 - 3 - 4) and try to keep it linear ( 7 - 8 - 9 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6).

However, once again, definitely take advice of Indefatigable (OMG I can't say that, typing it is so hard. D:) over me. I'm a uni student, and uni exams are very different to high school exams.