Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 01:27:46 am

Author Topic: Hard Decisions for 2015 Viscom  (Read 1994 times)  Share 

chosen_one

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Hard Decisions for 2015 Viscom
« on: October 22, 2014, 08:59:06 pm »
Hello everyone,
Just thought I would ask this community whether or not my ideas for next years final year of Viscom are creative enough, whether they will be doable and what I would do exactly.
Now, most folios I have seen start of really boring and simple, then become a little more detailed but the talent in the sketching and way of presentation isn't what I am striving for. I'd like to keep the whole status of my work at a high form, with a good range of quality. Also, most seem to be along the ideas of packaging, logos, clothing or covers of books etc... but I am thinking of something different.

The idea I have in mind is along the lines of exterior car design; not the usual, as it would be sports cars or luxury/concept cars. I was questioning whether I should do it for my Year 11 free choice section, but my current teacher said it is too hard. I can't see how designing the exterior of a car could be hard to complete, as it is a passion of mine and would be less frustrating as it is something I enjoy. My drawing skills are smiled upon in class, as my sketching is realistic and my rendering is at a good quality.

Has this ever been tried before and would it be possible to do? Would my creativity of choice be very unique and positive, or would this be a bad choice?

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

shinymeowstic

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • just a cat trying to do some school
  • Respect: +2
  • School: CSC
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: Hard Decisions for 2015 Viscom
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 07:35:30 pm »
I think this idea sounds really creative!!

What would you make for the two final products, however? Since the car interior could be one of them, but the minimum is two.
2013: Studio arts [Raw 41] It Apps [Raw 39]
2014: VisComm [Raw 40] | Further Maths [Raw 36 | English [Raw 31] | Psychology [Raw 34 Goal]
2014 ATAR: 77.80
2015: Monash Uni Bachelor of Arts/Visual Arts at Caulfield

thaaanyan

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 07:50:38 pm »
definately an awesome idea I say go for it! Just try to iron out what youre thinking about in terms of the two end products. yOU could go for car advertising and make posters/brochures, or maybe a life size 3d paper model/a poster idk. i think also with your exploration/idea generation you may be a bit stuck with trying to show diff. potential directions so try and think about that maybe?? idk. ultimately i think if you're passionate then you should do what you love - next yr would be a pretty sucky viscomm year if you don't follow your heart and end up dislinking what youre creating!! :) :)

chikedi

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Yo
  • School: Swinburne Secondary
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 04:48:36 pm »
Has been done before. But pretty much everything has. Sounds achievable.

chosen_one

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 12:06:22 am »
I think this idea sounds really creative!!

What would you make for the two final products, however? Since the car interior could be one of them, but the minimum is two.

I've got a couple of ideas for the final product, but I'm looking to end with the exterior rendering of the car (different sides etc). Would this be achievable by doing a poster or a final finished rendering of the car?

I could literally sit at home and draw hundreds of concepts in my spare time, as Viscom is pretty much a hobby for me haha. I'd really like to sustain a high-level of aesthetics throughout my work, as I have seen other folios which start off crap and become 'okay' in my perspective.
Would this take too much time or would I be best to start with small sketches etc?

chosen_one

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 12:09:43 am »
definately an awesome idea I say go for it! Just try to iron out what youre thinking about in terms of the two end products. yOU could go for car advertising and make posters/brochures, or maybe a life size 3d paper model/a poster idk. i think also with your exploration/idea generation you may be a bit stuck with trying to show diff. potential directions so try and think about that maybe?? idk. ultimately i think if you're passionate then you should do what you love - next yr would be a pretty sucky viscomm year if you don't follow your heart and end up dislinking what youre creating!! :) :)

Maybe not a life size paper model haha, but a paper model sounds pretty cool. Would be hard as I am better with drawings etc, not handy work. What do you mean about showing different potential directions?
Yeah, I shall stick with stuff that I enjoy, as the folio I am doing at the moment is pretty boring and I haven't even handed it in yet (it's overdue lol).

Also, considering I have to work my ass off and attempt to get 50's for everything, I think spending a reasonable amount of time and ticking all the criteria (and more) should allow me to succeed with that, am I right guys? haha

shinymeowstic

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • just a cat trying to do some school
  • Respect: +2
  • School: CSC
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 06:33:54 pm »
sketches are best to start off with!! thats how most folios start.

A poster would work really well as a final presentation.

different potential directions is needed, so you need to experiment with different views and types of interiors (you could do different types of cars and different styles of cars). you need to show several ways of getting to the final product!
2013: Studio arts [Raw 41] It Apps [Raw 39]
2014: VisComm [Raw 40] | Further Maths [Raw 36 | English [Raw 31] | Psychology [Raw 34 Goal]
2014 ATAR: 77.80
2015: Monash Uni Bachelor of Arts/Visual Arts at Caulfield