Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 07:20:37 am

Author Topic: CLASSICS 2015? ANYBODY OUT THERE?  (Read 26465 times)  Share 

thaaanyan

Re: CLASSICS 2015? ANYBODY OUT THERE?
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2015, 09:50:19 pm »
+2
Do you know the best way for answering a question for an extended response of 200-300 words? I have no idea.

Hi! ok so the analysis of a passage ones are basically ones where they give you three questions:
2 five markers
1 10 marker
maybe your teacher is just giving you a ten marker???
basically with 10 marker q's there isn't really a structure, they often ask for a thematic exploration and how its seen in other sections of the epic. so you need to understand how key ideas develop throughout the epic. Other questions they tend to ask for 10 markers is how the playwright/poet uses techniques to allow the theme to develop. my advice is to look through vcaa and check out the sample questions, get used to analysing and applying the main ideas/techniques and understand how ideas develop through the epic. good luck! let us know how it goes!

Fayne

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2015, 11:02:01 am »
I understand. Thankyou thaaanyan.
"I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now." - Edna Mode.

Fayne

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2015, 12:51:03 pm »
+1
Well, I finished my SAC. It could have been a lot worse, I think. I managed one thousand, one hundred words out of it, so hopefully I did a good job.

TaviTheLawsbianGleek

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Glen Waverley Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2015, 09:55:25 pm »
WHAT TEXTS U DOING???? HOW FAR IN ARE YOU???

classics is really great, basically looking at ancient greek texts, examining key ideas, sociohistorical context, technique etc. there's a fair bit of reading, you learn a lot more about the culture (it's less text specific in 1/2) the mythology they believe in etc. you'll enjoy it tonnnnnnnss :)

So far just did Homer's The Iliad, book 1 & 2 and just had my sac today!

ashjam

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School: The Peninsula School
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2015, 10:34:09 am »
Hi! I'm really considering doing the 3/4 next year via distance ed! Should I/Shouldn't I? Any suggestions?

Also, will anyone be doing it and would they be interested in doing the occasional catch up to discuss the work?! Hahah let me know!!

Fayne

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2015, 09:32:29 pm »
+1
Hey Ashjam, I think it honestly depends on your likes and dislikes. There is quite a bit of reading and it requires extensive answers to questions. Right now I am studying the Illiad by Homer- Book 1 and 3 along with other texts. I think that if you are interested in history, back in ancient times of Greece you will have an interesting time. You will study themes in the book, honor, relationships between the gods and mortals as examples along with the socio historical parts of it. Classical studies also requires a lot of thinking, I realised there is more to it than it seems, as along with that you analyse the texts... [Athena is awesome, btw.] From what I know of the end of year exam [Unit 3&4] there is an essay that you write that takes up a lot of time. You could always have a look through study notes or other websites to see if the Iliad interests you.

thaaanyan

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2015, 07:09:41 am »
So far just did Homer's The Iliad, book 1 & 2 and just had my sac today!

How did you go? Hope it went well for you!!

Hi! I'm really considering doing the 3/4 next year via distance ed! Should I/Shouldn't I? Any suggestions?

Also, will anyone be doing it and would they be interested in doing the occasional catch up to discuss the work?! Hahah let me know!!

It sort of depends. With Classics I know i rely equally on my teacher's input as i do on the observations my classmates make; it's kind of like lit in that sense - you can bounce ideas off other people; that's not to say you cant do i t by distance ed. tons of people have done that and been fine. Ultimately you've just got to brainstorm a lot more and dig deep with analysis/ideas. goodluck!

Fayne

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2015, 12:10:00 pm »
I got my results for the sac back. Is a 37/50 good enough?

thaaanyan

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2015, 04:23:33 pm »
I got my results for the sac back. Is a 37/50 good enough?

That's great! Awesome work Fayne! You should be proud :) :) :)

TaviTheLawsbianGleek

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2015, 11:31:13 pm »
How did you go? Hope it went well for you!!

It sort of depends. With Classics I know i rely equally on my teacher's input as i do on the observations my classmates make; it's kind of like lit in that sense - you can bounce ideas off other people; that's not to say you cant do i t by distance ed. tons of people have done that and been fine. Ultimately you've just got to brainstorm a lot more and dig deep with analysis/ideas. goodluck!

I think I did okay! thanks!  :)
I just got my sac back today and I got 31/50. Pretty satisfied with myself considering it was the first one, and I was afraid how I would do on it!

I was also wondering thaaanyan, is Legal Studies very content based and would you have to know things from Unit 1/2? Because I feel like I should've done Legal instead of Bio, because I'm doing so bad with bio! ARGH. regrets  :( :'(

Fayne

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2015, 11:17:24 am »
Phew... Thankyou Thaaanyan. Classical Studies is my only unit 3/4 for year 11, and considering that from my knowledge, it goes down by six points? I really hope to do well, choosing it was a bit of a gamble, it was either that or philosophy and two of my family members told me not to do it, now I am more determined to prove them wrong.

I know how you feel TaviTheLawsbianGleek, I am doing terrible with biology, I think it is because I have felt so drained this year and with biology you have to pay attention. . I am only doing Unit 1/2 for legal studies, but it certainly is easier.

Does anyone know if Global Politics is good? I might do that next year instead, and what kind of person would like it and or excel in it?

TaviTheLawsbianGleek

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2015, 06:24:37 pm »
Phew... Thankyou Thaaanyan. Classical Studies is my only unit 3/4 for year 11, and considering that from my knowledge, it goes down by six points? I really hope to do well, choosing it was a bit of a gamble, it was either that or philosophy and two of my family members told me not to do it, now I am more determined to prove them wrong.

I know how you feel TaviTheLawsbianGleek, I am doing terrible with biology, I think it is because I have felt so drained this year and with biology you have to pay attention. . I am only doing Unit 1/2 for legal studies, but it certainly is easier.

Does anyone know if Global Politics is good? I might do that next year instead, and what kind of person would like it and or excel in it?

I picked a lot of the content based subjects Fayne, Classics being one of them! Argh, hoping to just pick up my game - year 12 is so stressful at this point :'(
I think I'm actually somewhat okay, like I get pretty average, it's just my teacher is so bad and she can't teach! That's why I'm doing terrible at bio 3/4!

Fayne

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2015, 11:06:48 am »
I'm sorry to hear that TaviTheLawsbianGleek, have you tried learning in your free time to catch up? I'm thinking that might be easier to do and you could study the way it works for you, I know how some teachers can teach in a way where it isn't as useful to other student's different ways of learning. I have a biology exam this week, and I am not ready at all. I will have to study all day today and re-read through my biology book. I know it is only biology 1/2 for me, but I really should have payed more attention. Studying via distance ed is flawed in this regard, you have to motivate yourself to do the work, I also hating using the phone, nope nope nope.

thaaanyan

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2015, 04:43:55 pm »

I think I did okay! thanks!  :)
I just got my sac back today and I got 31/50. Pretty satisfied with myself considering it was the first one, and I was afraid how I would do on it!

I was also wondering thaaanyan, is Legal Studies very content based and would you have to know things from Unit 1/2? Because I feel like I should've done Legal instead of Bio, because I'm doing so bad with bio! ARGH. regrets  :( :'(

As a legal kid with a lot of bio friends i can't 500% make an accurate comparison, but generally they both feature a lot of content. Legal is also pree heavy with memorisation, so i feel your struggle haha!! CONGRATULATIONS on the awesome mark!!

Phew... Thankyou Thaaanyan. Classical Studies is my only unit 3/4 for year 11, and considering that from my knowledge, it goes down by six points?
??????? NOPE. It goes up by two points if your in the high 30s/40s area!! Where are you getting your info from???

How are you all going with classics so far??? we're about to have our Antigone SAC!

Fayne

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2015, 12:46:15 pm »
Thaaanyan, hmm... It seems I have been severely misinformed by a few sites I went to last year. It said something about going down by many points and others on different forums spoke of that. Well, I am glad to hear that they are wrong, maybe it was from a few years back... Sorry about that.