Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 11:38:40 pm

Author Topic: Poetry Analysis ~ To link or not to link???  (Read 1320 times)  Share 

bonjour-sarah

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Poetry Analysis ~ To link or not to link???
« on: September 28, 2015, 08:49:56 pm »
Hey guys,

My teacher has basically forced the whole class to do our poetry text for the exam, as we did everything very delayed, and haven't really studied our second text for exam-style writing. This is fine, as I think it is easier, but I'm hearing mixed things about how we go about doing it (and since it's getting late, like 38 days :-[ :-[ ) I really want to clear it up.

So, in terms of poetry (and also short stories), how much are we meant to reference other poems/stories that are not the passages? Our teacher has encouraged us to strongly reference them and include them among our analysis where they fit, yet on the other hand, I know that VCAA don't want your piece to seem rote-learnt, and i.e. should we be only analysing the specifics of what are front of us?

I really appreciate any help as I don't want to throw away marks for things like this

Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 01:47:12 pm by bonjour-sarah »
2014: Biology
2015: English  - French - Literature - Chemistry - Methods 
2016: Monash University | Bachelor of Medicine/ Surgery

_fruitcake_

Re: Poetry Analysis ~ To link or not to link???
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 06:41:35 pm »
Hey guys,

My teacher has basically forced the whole class to do our poetry text for the exam, as we did everything very delayed, and haven't really studied our second text for exam-style writing. This is fine, as I think it is easier, but I'm hearing mixed things about how we go about doing it (and since it's getting late, like 38 days :-[ :-[ ) I really want to clear it up.

So, in terms of poetry (and also short stories), how much are we meant to reference other poems/stories that are not the passages? Our teacher has encouraged us to strongly reference them and include them among our analysis where they fit, yet on the other hand, I know that VCAA don't want your piece to seem rote-learnt, and i.e. should we be only analysing the specifics of what are front of us?

I really appreciate any help as I don't want to throw away marks for things like this

Thanks!!!

Incorporating quotes outside the passages given to you demonstrate knowledge of the text, but too much can make the examiners salty as they dont like memorized essays.