Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 05:27:21 am

Author Topic: English Extension 1 Question Thread  (Read 151789 times)  Share 

Blissfulmelodii

• Trendsetter
  • "Mistakes are proof that you are trying!"
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Extension 1 Question Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2016, 09:25:34 am »
So as we all probably know the extension 1 English exam is tomorrow and I currently have 2 essays and 2 creative writing pieces prepared but I am unsure about which ones I should focus on and learn. My elective is Science fiction and I have one essay about the importance of characterisation and another about the human condition. Should I learn both or just one of them and which one would be more beneficial?
--HSC subjects--
Music 1 | Biology | Society and Culture | Spanish Beginners | Math ext 1 & 2 | English Advanced | English ext 1 & 2

Stayz1337

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2016, 02:09:45 pm »
Hey!

Was wondering if you had any tips on what constitutes a 'good extension ATB creative.'
I'm also going out on a bit of a limb and am bringing in only one that my teachers have approved. It is broad also, not in terms of context but in terms of that it really just explores the nexus between political and personal spheres. However, it's just not 'it,' in my opinion? I know it's too late to write an entirely new one but even dependant on the question tomorrow, I feel I don't quite get to what extent the WOT are to be reflected within our pieces and how to respond to the stimuli given.

ml125

• Trailblazer
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2016, 04:05:56 pm »
+1
So as we all probably know the extension 1 English exam is tomorrow and I currently have 2 essays and 2 creative writing pieces prepared but I am unsure about which ones I should focus on and learn. My elective is Science fiction and I have one essay about the importance of characterisation and another about the human condition. Should I learn both or just one of them and which one would be more beneficial?
If you have two essays prepared - I think it would be best that instead of focusing on one or the other that you make sure you know both to some extent - as with extension you can never be sure as to what might happen on the day. That being said, I personally don't memorise essays so someone like Elyse should be able to provide better advice relating to this. If anything, if you feel like one of them encompasses the majority of the rubric as opposed to the other I'd say to go with that one - but make sure you still know a basic structure for your other essay.

Hey!

Was wondering if you had any tips on what constitutes a 'good extension ATB creative.'
I'm also going out on a bit of a limb and am bringing in only one that my teachers have approved. It is broad also, not in terms of context but in terms of that it really just explores the nexus between political and personal spheres. However, it's just not 'it,' in my opinion? I know it's too late to write an entirely new one but even dependant on the question tomorrow, I feel I don't quite get to what extent the WOT are to be reflected within our pieces and how to respond to the stimuli given.
A 'good extension ATB creative' should encompass most, if not all, parts of the rubric - in particular making connections to each of the four key paradigms [scientific, religious, philosophical, economic]. It should be deeply grounded in contextual understanding - so the time period should be very obvious to the marker. At this point, what I'd suggest is to brainstorm ways you could potentially fit the aspects of the rubric into your creative piece - maybe look at past questions for guidance? The key words of the question should be integrated into your response in such a way that the marker doesn't have to go out of their way to look for it - they should be able to pick it up straight away without having to read over it again. However, I'd recommend any interpretation of given stimuli to be metaphorical - a literal interpretation should only ever be used if you're struggling to find any other way to fit it into your creative piece. What I would suggest in the exam is to look at the key terms of the question and throughout your response - whenever you make any sort of connection to it - to place emphasis on it, perhaps dwell on it a bit longer than intended to alert the marker that you are addressing the question. :)
HSC 2016: EE2 | MX1 | Chemistry | Physics
GOAL 2017: Combined Advanced Science/Engineering @ UNSW

mmmm675

• Adventurer
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2016, 04:07:06 pm »
Hello! Thanks for your reply & also another super quick question

How many quotes should I have? I'm aiming for three paragraphs and two texts in each paragraph. Should I go 6 quotes each paragraph or 4?
Thanks!

ml125

• Trailblazer
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2016, 04:18:33 pm »
How many quotes should I have? I'm aiming for three paragraphs and two texts in each paragraph. Should I go 6 quotes each paragraph or 4?
Thanks!
Honestly, I'd say to keep the number of quotes you use in each body paragraph to a minimum - however to make sure that you explore these quotes in further depth. 6 quotes per paragraph in depth would be overkill in terms of word count - 4 should be a good number to aim for considering the structure you're using. In the end, it all really depends on how fast you write in the exam.
HSC 2016: EE2 | MX1 | Chemistry | Physics
GOAL 2017: Combined Advanced Science/Engineering @ UNSW

caninesandy

• Trailblazer
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2016, 04:58:25 pm »
Hi guys, I am doing Romanticism and was reading over the markers' notes from previous years and I don't quite understand one bit - 'In weaker responses, candidates often relied on explaining how individual elements of Romanticism, such as a belief in Imagination or Nature, were reflected in the texts, rather than a broader view of the ways of thinking present in the historical period. '
Could someone please explain?
Thank you :)
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you He will not fail you or forsake you."

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2016, 05:22:15 pm »

I don't think it's worth memorising both for each section tonight - that's sooo much pressure. I would commit one to memory as much as possible, and have the other as best known to you as possible so that you can draw on it if you need! I also think in an exam, you'll surprise yourself with exactly how much you do remember! :)

Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2016, 05:24:59 pm »
+1
In response to this question...
Hey!

I think this does a stellar job at explaining everything:

A 'good extension ATB creative' should encompass most, if not all, parts of the rubric - in particular making connections to each of the four key paradigms [scientific, religious, philosophical, economic]. It should be deeply grounded in contextual understanding - so the time period should be very obvious to the marker. At this point, what I'd suggest is to brainstorm ways you could potentially fit the aspects of the rubric into your creative piece - maybe look at past questions for guidance? The key words of the question should be integrated into your response in such a way that the marker doesn't have to go out of their way to look for it - they should be able to pick it up straight away without having to read over it again. However, I'd recommend any interpretation of given stimuli to be metaphorical - a literal interpretation should only ever be used if you're struggling to find any other way to fit it into your creative piece. What I would suggest in the exam is to look at the key terms of the question and throughout your response - whenever you make any sort of connection to it - to place emphasis on it, perhaps dwell on it a bit longer than intended to alert the marker that you are addressing the question. :)

I will add, that if you're looking for a checklist, this is it:
-Contextual accuracy
-Ways of thinking explored: not just one way of thinking, several, and make them come from the paradigms mentioned above.
-Careful control of the manipulation of language.

To me, these three things sum up the characteristics of the best responses I have read!

Sssssrr

• Forum Regular
  • School: NGS
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2016, 05:26:42 pm »
hey!
I'm currently revising my intro for ways of thinking:navigating the global, does this sound ok, "Globalisation is potent catalyst of 21st century paradigms, imbuing a plethora of challenges to a contemporary anthropocentric society. Composers engage in diverse ways of thinking about the repercussions of Globalisation, delving into the ethereality of humanity, identity, and the ‘local’, notion’s which are inevitably dwarfed by the rapid progression of globalisation" - do you have any tips on anything that needs work here?
thanks!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2016, 05:27:53 pm »
Hi guys, I am doing Romanticism and was reading over the markers' notes from previous years and I don't quite understand one bit - 'In weaker responses, candidates often relied on explaining how individual elements of Romanticism, such as a belief in Imagination or Nature, were reflected in the texts, rather than a broader view of the ways of thinking present in the historical period. '
Could someone please explain?
Thank you :)

Take me advice with a grain of salt because I'm making assumptions here about the romanticism course: I think they are saying that students are relying too much on the common characteristics/styles of the texts, rather than actually probing the ways of thinking. So, the way of thinking isn't "nature" - although that may be a strong stylistic feature of the text. The ways of thinking are actually the motivational drives for the work - what accelerates characters, what joins or discharges relationships, what drives society. All of the above. That's the way of thinking, which is what the module demands. The markers are saying that rather than relying on talking about elements of Romanticism texts, talk about the IDEAS within them, and then how they are displayed through the elements.

Does this make sense? :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2016, 05:35:38 pm »
hey!
I'm currently revising my intro for ways of thinking:navigating the global, does this sound ok?
thanks!

"Globalisation is Apotent catalyst of 21st century paradigms, imbuing a plethora of challenges to a contemporary anthropocentric society. Composers engage in diverse ways of thinking about the repercussions of Globalisation, delving into the ethereality of humanity, identity, and the ‘local’, notion’s which are inevitably dwarfed by the rapid progression of globalisation." I do really enjoy this: You talk about the time, the who, the what, and I'm assuming the how is yet to come when you bring in some texts. How are you going to pair the texts with this? It is my suggestion that you bring in the texts one by one, and pair them with a particular way of thinking they explore. Is this in line with your plan? :)

Sssssrr

• Forum Regular
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2016, 05:48:02 pm »
"Globalisation is Apotent catalyst of 21st century paradigms, imbuing a plethora of challenges to a contemporary anthropocentric society. Composers engage in diverse ways of thinking about the repercussions of Globalisation, delving into the ethereality of humanity, identity, and the ‘local’, notion’s which are inevitably dwarfed by the rapid progression of globalisation." I do really enjoy this: You talk about the time, the who, the what, and I'm assuming the how is yet to come when you bring in some texts. How are you going to pair the texts with this? It is my suggestion that you bring in the texts one by one, and pair them with a particular way of thinking they explore. Is this in line with your plan? :)
i currently have my the texts paired, each with their respective ideas? so texts 1 and 2  - idea 1 and texts 3 and 4 - idea 2 ?
do you think one by one would be more effective?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 05:53:11 pm by Sssssrr »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2016, 06:16:02 pm »
i currently have my the texts paired, each with their respective ideas? so texts 1 and 2  - idea 1 and texts 3 and 4 - idea 2 ?
do you think one by one would be more effective?

That works wonderfully! And then a sentence at the end to sum it up sounds perfect. This genuinely sounds like a uniquely perfect introduction - I think you should be really chuffed with it! Are you doing textually integrated paragraphs or a paragraph per text, with concepts weaved throughout?

Sssssrr

• Forum Regular
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2016, 06:21:16 pm »
That works wonderfully! And then a sentence at the end to sum it up sounds perfect. This genuinely sounds like a uniquely perfect introduction - I think you should be really chuffed with it! Are you doing textually integrated paragraphs or a paragraph per text, with concepts weaved throughout?
ok thanks so much!
at the moment i have a paragraph per text with concepts throughout, though i do understand how the makers value integration, so i might work on that tonight
thanks for your help!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2016, 06:59:01 pm »
ok thanks so much!
at the moment i have a paragraph per text with concepts throughout, though i do understand how the makers value integration, so i might work on that tonight
thanks for your help!

It might be worth just linking textually in a few points, but conceptual integration is the MOST important!