Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 01:44:15 pm

Author Topic: AN Methods Textbook Drafts  (Read 4105 times)  Share 

qazser

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +23
AN Methods Textbook Drafts
« on: April 04, 2016, 11:58:28 am »
+7
Hello fellow ANers,

As outlined in a previous thread, i am compiling/writing an AN community textbook: [Help Write] AN Community Maths Textbook.

Attached is Live Draft: PDF output of latest copy of textbook

For now, feel free to give feedback on work so far, point out any mistakes and suggest any improvements ;)

-Synthetic Division needs to be fixed, difficult to follow

Live Draft

Regards,
Qazser
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 03:12:46 pm by qazser »
AN Chat: Hop On!

2016:Methods[   ]

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: AN Methods Textbook Drafts
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 12:15:43 pm »
+3
Oh my, that font brings back the Maths and Stats memories of my undergrad!

Great to see how much this has progressed so far!! Well done
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

qazser

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 12:49:14 pm »
Oh my, that font brings back the Maths and Stats memories of my undergrad!

Great to see how much this has progressed so far!! Well done

Cheers Aaron

AN, any tips on aesthetically beautifying the textbook? All done in LaTeX btw  :)

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 02:33:29 pm »
+1
Is this for methods or spec or both? Personally think if you're going to have a textbook that covers both it's gonna get really messy. How will kids make sure that they're learning only what they need to and nothing outside of the s.d. for their subject?

qazser

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 03:02:10 pm »
Is this for methods or spec or both? Personally think if you're going to have a textbook that covers both it's gonna get really messy. How will kids make sure that they're learning only what they need to and nothing outside of the s.d. for their subject?

One each, compiling spesh one separately

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 03:59:28 pm »
+3
Just noticed the name of this thread. Blonde moment.

Gonna point out bits and pieces as I go through. Cuz I don't have time to go through it all in one sitting and if you waited for me to do that, you might never get my 2c. :p

1. You have an interesting definition of rational numbers. I personally would have favoured a definition that was more along the lines of "a rational number is any number that can be expressed as the fraction m/n of two integers, a non-zero denominator n and a numerator m." Because your definition sounds like you're saying 1.5 and stuff like that isn't a rational number when I'm fairly sure it is.

2. Similarly, I think your definition of irrational numbers needs to be reworked. It's a tad ambiguous.

3. At one stage you say: "Not an element of [symbol]". I think that needs to be changed to "[symbol] may be used to denote an item is not an element of..." Because I feel like it might be a bit ambiguous to someone who has no idea what you're talking about.

4. Your explanation for union needs more detail/specificity methinks. Despite doing well-ish in methods and unofficially tutoring other kids this year, I still don't know what you meant...

That's all for now. :)

qazser

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 03:42:31 pm »
@HLS Ty for feedback  ;D

1. Mine's a bit fluffy, will make it concise.

2. Isn't that the general way to describe irrational numbers? Take for example: Pi. Pi cannot be "made" by dividing 2 integers. 22/7 comes close but it isn't quite pi?

3. Fixed

4.Was trying to say, "all elements (present) in sets listed (as in sets the questions asks for). Fixed.

Thanks HLS for this :), great to hear if others understand what i'm conveying. Anyone else with feedback?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 03:08:46 pm by qazser »

qazser

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 03:11:56 pm »
Uploaded Textbook to ShareLatex. Added 'Live Draft' link: Pdf Output, available for download.

If i edit something on the document, the pdf link will automatically update to produce the latest copy of the Textbook :)

Anyone that wants 'editing' privileges (eg. Want to write/edit anything), feel free to reply below or PM me  ;D

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 03:22:23 pm »
+1
2. Isn't that the general way to describe irrational numbers? Take for example: Pi. Pi cannot be "made" by dividing 2 integers. 22/7 comes close but it isn't quite pi?

Eh. I don't know. The definition I gave was the one I rote-learnt in Year 9 and the only one I've ever learnt. Your definition makes it sound like all decimals are automatically not rational cuz they aren't fractions. From memory (cuz I'm too lazy to go check out exactly what it says rn), your definition implies only fractions can be rational when in reality, it's any number that can be expressed as a fraction. Idk. Might just be me reading it funny and having a different interpretation to everyone else's. :P

As with all advice I ever give, it's ultimately up to you to decide whether or not I'm right or wrong. I give my 2c freely but I'm not gonna force anyone into taking it.

qazser

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 05:48:51 pm »
Eh. I don't know. The definition I gave was the one I rote-learnt in Year 9 and the only one I've ever learnt. Your definition makes it sound like all decimals are automatically not rational cuz they aren't fractions. From memory (cuz I'm too lazy to go check out exactly what it says rn), your definition implies only fractions can be rational when in reality, it's any number that can be expressed as a fraction. Idk. Might just be me reading it funny and having a different interpretation to everyone else's. :P

As with all advice I ever give, it's ultimately up to you to decide whether or not I'm right or wrong. I give my 2c freely but I'm not gonna force anyone into taking it.

@HLS Yep, my bad there. Community textbook, not mine, changed it accordingly.

Live Draft Pdf is up so check if the new definitions are right

Alwin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +241
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 07:14:59 pm »
+1
AN, any tips on aesthetically beautifying the textbook? All done in LaTeX btw  :)

Flick me a link/add me to sharelatex and I'll do it for you + add in stats stuff when I have time (read: some time after semester finishes but most likely after I graduate :P)

I can't make them look the same as the AN Notes even though I made that template layout because of potential IP issues. But I can make it look pretty!

2012:  Methods [48] Physics [49]
2013:  English [40] (oops) Chemistry [46] Spesh [42] Indo SL [34] Uni Maths: Melb UMEP [4.5] Monash MUEP [just for a bit of fun]
2014:  BAeroEng/BComm

A pessimist says a glass is half empty, an optimist says a glass is half full.
An engineer says the glass has a safety factor of 2.0

qazser

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 11:17:30 pm »
Flick me a link/add me to sharelatex and I'll do it for you + add in stats stuff when I have time (read: some time after semester finishes but most likely after I graduate :P)

I can't make them look the same as the AN Notes even though I made that template layout because of potential IP issues. But I can make it look pretty!

Pm me your Sharelatex email :)