Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:23:00 pm

Author Topic: Maths Bridging course  (Read 10058 times)  Share 

StaticZ1011

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Maths Bridging course
« on: August 09, 2018, 11:36:50 am »
Hello guys
im currently in year 11 and idk if i can do further next year, however  i want to get into a science course, i was just wondering what a maths bridging course is and is it possible if i can do it tho i dont further next year?

Thanks

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: Maths Bridging course
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 11:55:01 am »
Hey, you don’t necessarily need to do a maths to get into a science degree - for example a bachelor of science at monash does not require math.

Other uni’s may require maths. If so there are bridging course available e.g mathslink at Swinburne. It really depends on what uni you go to. Each has their own maths requirements and bridging options.

A bridging course is a maths program that goes for a month or so after the end of year 12 but before uni starts (generally through January and February).
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

StaticZ1011

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 12:04:13 pm »
Hey, you don’t necessarily need to do a maths to get into a science degree - for example a bachelor of science at monash does not require math.

Other uni’s may require maths. If so there are bridging course available e.g mathslink at Swinburne. It really depends on what uni you go to. Each has their own maths requirements and bridging options.

A bridging course is a maths program that goes for a month or so after the end of year 12 but before uni starts (generally through January and February).

so would a bridging course cover methods topics?

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 12:07:18 pm »
so would a bridging course cover methods topics?
It depends. There are bridging courses available for both further and for methods. Presumably the further bridging course would only cover further topics but I’m not entirely sure.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

StaticZ1011

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 12:18:28 pm »
It depends. There are bridging courses available for both further and for methods. Presumably the further bridging course would only cover further topics but I’m not entirely sure.

lets just say i didnt do methods in vce, would it be possible for me to do methods as a bridging subject?

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 02:33:13 pm »
lets just say i didnt do methods in vce, would it be possible for me to do methods as a bridging subject?
You'd do the bridging course, which would have the equivalent maths found in Methods, probably at the college associated with the intended uni e.g. Monash College --> Monash, with students in a similar situation. You won't be studying VCE Methods with VCE students, AFAIK. Hope that makes sense.
Perhaps the best way is to check up what bridging courses are available at the institution(s) you wish to study at.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

StaticZ1011

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 03:17:12 pm »
You'd do the bridging course, which would have the equivalent maths found in Methods, probably at the college associated with the intended uni e.g. Monash College --> Monash, with students in a similar situation. You won't be studying VCE Methods with VCE students, AFAIK. Hope that makes sense.
Perhaps the best way is to check up what bridging courses are available at the institution(s) you wish to study at.

One more question, would they accept doing multiple bridging course cause i need to do chemistry and methods

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 04:49:25 pm »
One more question, would they accept doing multiple bridging course cause i need to do chemistry and methods
To avoid giving the wrong answer, I'd probably check with your desired institute directly. Usually they're really nice about it, but I'd definitely go confirm that with the uni/ college themselves. Sorry that I'm not much help here.   
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

exit

• Forum Obsessive
  • COALESCE
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 05:30:12 pm »
Different unis run their 'bridging courses' differently, and oftentimes the answer on what sort of bridging course etc. you should do (there may be multiple pathways) is not crystal clear. You are best checking with the uni themselves.

Ideally, to avoid minimal catching up, you would want to do subjects such as Methods/Chem in high school. Further isn't generally required as a prerequisite (if it is, it will be 'any maths').
VCE [ATAR: 99.25]: Physics 1/2, English 1/2, EngLang,Methods, Spesh, Accounting, Chem, German

2018-2021: Bachelor Of Commerce @ University of Melbourne
VCE English Language: A+ Short Answer Guide[pm for extra guidance!]