Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 11:26:35 am

Author Topic: New "Heritage" LOTE level in the making  (Read 2297 times)  Share 

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
  • Respect: +20
New "Heritage" LOTE level in the making
« on: October 20, 2009, 07:05:20 pm »
The VCAA is participating in a national survey to seek feedback on the consultation drafts of language-specific senior secondary Heritage Language Courses in Chinese, Indonesian, Japanese and Korean.

(Japanese description, its the same for the rest anyway) Heritage language students are typically those who have been brought up in a home where the Japanese language is used and have a cultural connection to the target language. They have some degree of understanding and knowledge of Japanese, although their oral proficiency is typically more highly developed than their proficiency in the written language. These students have received all or most of their formal education in schools where English (or a language different from the target language) is the medium of instruction and are therefore to some extent bilingual.

(info stolen from VCAA site) http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vce/studies/lote/japanese2nd/jap2ndindex.html

I interpret this as those who speak the target language at home get kicked out of SL and put into this new level (which is still far away from implementation).

Is this an attempt to encourage non Chinese people to pick up Chinese by Kevin Rudd?

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
Re: New "Heritage" LOTE level in the making
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 11:50:03 am »
I think there has been talk of this for a long time, especially with Chinese.

Right now in Victoria, there are three groups for Chinese: First Language, Second Language & Second Language Advanced.  In NSW, I heard that there were like 5 groups, with groups separating background and non-background students to make the competition more fair.

However, because VCAA is cash-strapped, Victoria hasn't followed NSW.

Unfortunately, I only know info about Chinese.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 05:05:59 pm »
I think it would be a good idea. If a white guy decided to Chinese now he would most likely get completely destroyed eh. Do you think that they should make a new level for those with a Chinese background? But would they distinguish between non Mandarin speakers?

...But first Vietnamese needs an SL level.

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 12:20:14 am »
...But first Vietnamese needs an SL level.

Yes, the emergency right now would be Vietnamese SL.  I'm sure Nguyenrising would be able to provide strong anecdotal evidence for this because quite frankly, I think it's quite unfair.

You also mentioned:

But would they distinguish between non Mandarin speakers?

That would be quite interesting and may even the playing ground a little, but I reckon it would be open for exploitation.  An example would be: what if you speak Mandarin and another dialect at the same time?

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

vea

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +29
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 09:12:14 pm »
+1
Luckily this will never happen in my VCE lifetime. I love exploiting chinese.
2011: ATAR 99.50
2012: Bachelor of Biomedicine, UoM
2015: Doctor of Dental Surgery, UoM