Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 09:18:58 am

Author Topic: Viscom what can be done for year 12 tasks?  (Read 3479 times)  Share 

C.J.Tielen

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Viscom what can be done for year 12 tasks?
« on: February 11, 2020, 10:31:17 pm »
Hi, (I知 pretty new here so sorry if I致e done something wrong) I知 Cooper. I知 currently in year 11, and planning on doing Viscom in year 12. I知 not completely familiar on what is specifically done in year 12 vcd for units 3 and 4, so with that in mind he痴 my question:

I love playing cards, and there are some really nice non-standard, beautifully designed decks. https://www.artofplay.com/

I would really love to spend year 12 (or a unit it of it, I知 not sure how it works) designing a deck like this and maybe even getting it kickstarted and printed with USPCC if it goes very nicely. Would designing a playing card deck like this be realistic? Or score well? I have no idea. How would it be presented?

Thanks heaps for answering, cheers :)

Cooper

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
Re: Viscom what can be done for year 12 tasks?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 11:32:36 pm »
+3
You would have to do both units 3/4 VCD since the folio is spread across both of them. If they haven't changed anything, the early design stages take place in the later part of unit 3 and everything starts to wrap up in unit 4. What you can make is quite broad since I believe you create the fake client, and is usually planned out with the help of your teacher who knows what would be feasible.

I remember going on a trip to the museum when they had an exhibition showcasing high quality VCD work (Top Designs?) and definitely remember seeing someone who created a deck of playing cards as one of their two presentations. I think the accompanying presentation was a caravan design - something along the lines of when going on a road trip or camping in a caravan, people often play card games. I believe the cards were designed around the idea of 'maps' - linking back to travelling and the caravan. From what I remember, the two presentations you make for your folio need to be in some way connected.

For things like packaging, cards, etc., which are more feasible to create prototypes/samples, I think the expectation is usually that you develop some sort of physical product nearing the end of the folio. With something like playing cards, you could potentially print them professionally after designing them to show them off as your final presentation. Obviously it isn't limited to things that are 'small' - I remember seeing plenty of fashion design works at the museum with wearable clothing on display.

I recommend getting in contact with some of your teachers who take unit 3/4 VCD to ask them what it involves and see if they can show you some past student's work.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 11:37:00 pm by www »
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (: