Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 03:05:14 pm

Author Topic: English - 12 Angry Men  (Read 5010 times)  Share 

Arpon Karmaker

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
English - 12 Angry Men
« on: April 12, 2020, 02:31:02 pm »
Hi Guys,
I want to cover the themes in 12 angry men of
Logic and reasoning
Leadership
Ambiguous moral decisions
Thanks, Arpon
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 04:06:20 pm by Arpon Karmaker »

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
Re: English - 12 Angry Men
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 03:04:26 pm »
+2
Hi Arpon!

Could you elaborate further on how we can help you? I studied 12 Angry Men last year so I do have some resources I made but I'm not too sure what you need help with :)

Are you wanting to explore the themes generally or in an essay?
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Arpon Karmaker

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 04:04:49 pm »
Hi J-RHO,
I would really appreciate an essay, particularly on logic and reasoning, and Ambiguous moral decisions.
Thank you so much!
Arpon K

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 05:03:35 pm »
+3
Hi Arpon,

When I did 12 Angry Men last year, we did a creative so I personally don't have any essays on it however there are some in the notes section of this site which i have attached below
12 Angry Men Quote Bank
12 Angry Men Essay
12 Angry Men Essay #2
12 Angry Men Essay #3

As well as essays other students have requested feedback on
12 Angry Men Essay - 'Twelve Angry Men is a play about how power can be misused.' Discuss
12 Angry Men Essay - Why is it so difficult for the jury in “Twelve Angry Men” to reach its final verdict?
12 Angry Men Essay - In Twelve Angry Men, Rose highlights the flaws of a criminal justice system which relies on the judgement of twelve individuals. Discuss.
12 Angry Men Essay - "Twelve Angry Men shows how power is misused"
12 Angry Men Essay - Twelve Angry Men is less about guilt or innocence than about reasonable doubt.’ Discuss.

Unfortunately, I went to go find my summary sheets of themes and I remembered I gave them to a younger student, but as it is such a widely know play there are many online resources
Enotes 3 main themes
Gradesaver: 12 Angry Men Themes
12 Angry Men LitCharts

Sorry, I couldn't be of more help, but hopefully, I've pointed you in the right direction :)

Happy Studies!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 05:18:34 pm by J_Rho »
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Arpon Karmaker

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 06:58:41 pm »
+1
No Problem,
All the resources you have given me are top-notch.
Thank you!

Failingvce

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 01:41:50 am »
Hey! Just an addition resource that I myself found extremely helpful last year is this website which explores the literary devices/ metalanguage from 12AM

https://www.englishworks.com.au/literary-devices-12-angry-men/
2020 subjects:
3/4 English - 3/4 Methods- 3/4 chemistry- 3/4 Biology- 3/4 psychology

Arpon Karmaker

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 08:47:01 am »
Thanks!

Arpon Karmaker

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 07:24:31 pm »
Reason, empathy and Compassion in 12 Angry Men -
Feedback Plez :)

Reginald Rose utilises 12 Angry Men as a social commentary, exploring and condemning the mistakes made by the community when decision making is based on fallacious belief as opposed to critical thinking, reason, and logic. In focusing on a jury room and judicial system rife with prejudice and discrimination, Rose enthusiastically endorses an idealistic justice system whereby verdicts are reached by compassionate and critical decisions. He does this through the positive portrayal of the more humanist jurors and the way they form their opinions. 

Firstly, in order for Rose to display the effects of compassion and humanism on the verdict, he aimed to create a contrast between idealistic notions of justice and 1950’s societal norms by presenting characters devoid of compassion and reason to influence the audience’s concept of the judicial system. The presentation of 10th Juror’s outrageous and inherently fallacious prejudices is intended as a binary opposite to Rose’s desired jury system. In portraying 10th Juror and his beliefs –  “they’re violent, they’re vicious and they will eat us up,” using a tricolon to emphasise prejudice in the 10th juror and an anaphora of ‘they’ to dehumanise the accused, and  “Sit down. And don’t open your filthy mouth again” – the audience is positioned to want change in the judicial system. Rose uses irony to highlight the moral failings of the current system in using the compassionless character of the 7th Juror. “I almost died in court,’' using a hyperbole to trivialise life and death in such a manner and being more concerned with his “tickets to the game” than the case, the 7th Juror blatantly demonstrates the failings of a system that enables such selfishness and unreasonable beliefs. The playwright also asserts that cold logic in itself is not enough, personifying this trait in 4th Juror, a man concerned with the “reasonable and logical progression of fact” but still harbours detrimental and compassionless prejudices such as “slums are breeding grounds for criminals.” In having such a pragmatic and reasonable character determined to vote ‘guilty’, a need for compassion in the justice system is presented. This view is ultimately consolidated in the play’s denouement when 4th Juror influences 3rd Juror to “Let him live”, leaving the audience with an optimistic presentation of justice perpetrated by compassion and reason.

In order to pursue to notion of the benefits of compassion on the verdict, Rose creates images of an idealistic judicial system the positive portrayal of those characters that exude compassion and reason. The 5th Juror actively contradicts 10th Juror throughout the play having “grown up in a slum” and directly challenges 10th Juror when he says “I nurse that trash in Harlem.” The fact that 5th Juror is not influenced by the accused’s socio-economic background and bases his decision off what seems reasonable conveys to the reader the potential of the jury system. Using the play’s protagonist, 8th Juror, as his idealistic view of American society, Rose highlights the effect ordinary people can have on the community when they conduct themselves valiantly. In “sticking the knife in the table” and subsequently declaring “I broke the law”, 8th Juror makes an important distinction between what is legal and what constitutes justice under the current system’s structure. This knife is symbolical of the 8th juror’s determination to question evidence which shows his compassion for deliberation to justly gain the verdict ultimately acts as a catalyst for change in many of the other jurors establishes the value of reason and humanism.  The quote, ‘(8th juror) You know- Living in a slum, his mother dead... I think we maybe owe him a few words. That’s all,’ utilises low modality and conditional language that establishes the 8th juror as being reasonable, the main trait that has allowed him to display his views without pressure.  His attitude ultimately manifests itself into behaviour, as during the play’s ending, he assists 3rd Juror to put his “suit jacket on” (stage direction) despite having a knife almost plunged at his chest.  Thus, in the positive portrayal of compassionate and logical characters, Rose extols the virtues of a justice system based on these values and therefore, a positive influence on the verdict.

Reginald Rose utilises Twelve Angry Men as a social commentary and an overarching discussion on justice and how it can be hindered when society adopts xenophobic, compassionless and illogical behaviour as seen in 1950s America. However, through the displaying of Rose’s views through multiple juror’s, the characteristics of humanity, reason and compassion has positively influenced the verdict and in the long term,  the play promotes change in the judicial system and asks for compassion and reason from the community.

Failingvce

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 08:26:26 pm »
hi!
just wanted to say, your essay is well written and your use of advanced vocabulary is great! One thing you should avoid is beginning your evidence by saying "the quote..." (I'm assuming you use TEEl) Try and integrate your quotes into your explanation to make your essay sound more seamless. also don't be afraid to shorten your quotes so they fit better.
edit: I can see that you have embedded most of your quotes

- hope this helps  :)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 08:29:39 pm by Failingvce »
2020 subjects:
3/4 English - 3/4 Methods- 3/4 chemistry- 3/4 Biology- 3/4 psychology

Arpon Karmaker

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 07:31:08 am »
Thanks for the advice!