Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 10:40:50 am

Author Topic: [VCE English] - Language Analysis Feedback Please!  (Read 936 times)  Share 

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
[VCE English] - Language Analysis Feedback Please!
« on: May 17, 2020, 09:28:29 pm »
+1
Hi everyone! I thought I'd attach a practise language analysis piece here - would really love some feedback! I'm not very good at LA, and would love some feedback, particularly on how effectively I've analysed certain language techniques. (As I feel like I'm repeating myself most of the time!)

Thank you! (I can't attach the article as it requires a Herald Sun subscription to access it. Hope its okay!)

Spoiler
To help prevent the spread of the Coronavirus, many parts of Australia were forced into lockdown. Victoria had the toughest restrictions in the entire country, prompting Susie Obrien to write the opinion article, titled ‘What about schools? Dan’s waited too long.’ (Herald Sun, published 12th May 2020) The author contends that the strict restrictions enforced by Daniel Andrews was ‘ridiculous,’ as it is causing Victoria to be at an economic crisis, which is hurting both businesses and individuals. With a blunt yet authoritative tone, O’Brien aims to sway Victoria’s public members into realising that Daniel Andrews is keeping restrictions tight to ‘suit his own purposes.’ In addition to this, Mark Knight’s cartoon also satirises the heavy restrictions enforced by the Government. His depiction of a range of vehicles stopped at a road supports the sentiment of the article, as Knight implies that although workers are gearing to go, they are being selfishly stopped by Andrews.

Obrien opens her article by asserting that ‘children should get back to the classroom,’ as it is stopping the economy from moving. The author presents expert advice from Brett Sutton, to show readers that a professional has actually said that ‘from a health point of view,’ there is no ‘problem with schools,’ reopening. Obrien shows readers that Andrews is contradicting the advice he is being given by medical professionals, thus positioning him to be viewed as untrustworthy and unreliable. Therefore, readers see that Obrien’s article is supported by a professional, and her assertion that the Government should open schools is beyond a personal judgment. Furthermore, Obrien suggests that some teachers want the schools to stay closed as they’ve ‘put a lot of effort into the transition of home learning.’ She implies that these teachers are being selfish, and ‘shouldn’t be calling the shots.’ As readers instinctively associate selfishness with these teachers, they realise that the Premier is wrong and unjust to listen to this ‘small group.’ The author later acknowledges that ‘teachers and students need to be protected,’ so readers can view her as understanding and caring. Readers’ are then more inclined to support her stance, as she does understand the importance of safety. Through the example of schools, Obrien shows readers that the government is being unjust and contradictory, and their strict actions are therefore unnecessary.

The author further argues that Andrews is being ‘too cautious’ in implementing restrictions. Obrien uses statistical evidence, that ‘161,000 people….have been tested,’ and ‘only 30….cases have been found,’ to enhance this argument. She aims to assure readers that Coronavirus isn’t spreading as rapidly as they might think, and therefore, the Government’s strict restrictions are unjustifiable. Similarly, Mark Knight’s cartoon reflects this idea in a humorous way. By drawing Andrews with the gear of a lollipop man, Knight reflects his commanding attitudes and his reluctancy to let workers resume their normal lives. In this case, the uniform has negative connotations of inducing power and showing authority, making the reader associate such qualities with the Premier, as well as the idea that Andrews role as Premier has ‘[gone] to his head.’ The parked cars in front of the crossing metaphorically expresses that traffic has stopped, but Andrews is the only one stopping the flow. By sarcastically depicting Victoria’s ‘road back to normality,’ as halted, Knight aims to show viewers that the Premier is not willing to compromise, and is keeping restrictions for his own benefit. The colours used in the cartoon are desaturated and dismal, which symbolises the distress and hardships workers are struggling through financially. Along with this, the annoyed faces of the drives evoke feelings of sympathy from the reader, as it is evident that the restrictions aren’t helping any of these people.

It is further suggested by the author that there is no unity between Victoria and Australia’s lockdown measures, and this is unjustifiable. By comparing AFL footballers that ‘are allowed to train,’ to the inability to let a child play at a park, O’Brien pinpoints the contradictory actions taken by Victoria’s Government. This inclines readers to feel disappointed, as there is no middle line between the restrictions being placed. Moreover, the author references that ‘politicking,’ has resumed, to show readers that the Government has moved on from public safety, as is now tightening restrictions as a game. By contrasting Andrews with Annastacia Palaszczuk who ‘followed the lead of the Liberal Prime Minister,’ O’Brien shows that Andrews is not a team player, thus making readers realise that O’Brien is reasonable in her opinion. The audience is positioned to feel more unsupported, as the Government is rather using Coronavirus to play politics. Additionally, O’Brien praises Victoria’s ‘testing regimen,’ to make readers realise that Victoria is in a good position. This makes the author seem reasonable, as her contention is supported with evidence. In conjunction with this, she uses repetition with the rule of three, (‘identify, isolate, contain,’) to add a memorable aspect of the argument to readers.

O’Brien ends her article insultingly by condescending the Premier, by suggesting that he is on an ‘egocentric power trip.’ By ending with this, readers are set to reflect on Andrews real morals, and therefore accept the authors stance on this issue.
By pinpointing the weaknesses of the Victorian Government in relation to Coronavirus restrictions, O’Brien aims to persuade readers that the strict restrictions are mostly unnecessary. By primarily drawing attention to school closures the author shows that Victoria’s economy is hurting due to this. In addition to the article, Mark Knight’s cartoons mocks the strict restrictions placed by Andrews, and his reluctancy to let industry move back into work.

Analysis of that small visual – not really sure where to place in this essay……
The added visual aims to balance out the stern nature of the article. Through a word play on ‘the good, the bad, the ugly,’ it presents a recap of the past week. The bright, bold colours are intended to attract the readers eye, and the cartoon faces give a playful aspect to the article.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 09:34:06 pm by ArtyDreams »

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
Re: [VCE English] - Language Analysis Feedback Please!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 10:24:56 pm »
+5
Hey Arty! I've attached my line-by-line corrections below :) I'm still learning myself, but I hope what I've said below helps. I think the main things you need to work on are:
1. Reducing your certainty regarding reader effect
2. Using close analysis to your benefit
3. Being more specific with how the specific readership of this article may feel and why
4. Varying some vocab (i.e. show, restrictions, etc). I've added a little marker wherever I feel like you could replace 'show' with a more specific word (might have missed a few places though)
Hope this helps!
Spoiler
To help prevent the spread of the Coronavirus doesn't require capitalisation, many parts of Australia were forced into lockdown. Victoria had the toughest restrictions in the entire country, this is pretty minor, but I think contextualising the issue could be done a little more concisely, e.g. Victoria's harshly imposed restrictions to contain the coronavirus being a contrast to the lenient approaches of other states prompted Susie Obrien... prompting Susie Obrien to write the opinion article, titled ‘What about schools? Dan’s waited too long.’ (Herald Sun, published 12th May 2020) might be better to integrate this info without the use of brackets The author contends that the strict restrictions enforced by Daniel Andrews again, this is minor, but you might want to mention that Dan Andrews is the premier of vic to establish his pertinence to the issue's context was ‘ridiculous,’ as it is you've changed tenses twice here, try keep it consistently in present tense causing Victoria to be at an face an economic crisis, which is hurting both businesses and individuals. With a blunt yet authoritative tone, good mentioning of the tone in the intro O’Brien aims to sway Victoria’s public members into realising that Daniel Andrews is keeping restrictions might be good to come up with synonyms to 'restrictions' at this point tight to ‘suit his own purposes.’ this might vary with teachers, but I've been taught that you shouldn't quote in your contention as the assessor's want to see your interpretation of the author's contention instead of directly restating what has already been said in the article via quotes In addition to this, Mark Knight’s cartoon also satirises the heavy restrictions you know what I'm gonna say here :P enforced by the Government. His depiction of a range of vehicles stopped at a road supports the sentiment of the article, as Knight implies that although workers are gearing to go, they are being selfishly stopped by Andrews.

Obrien opens her article by asserting that ‘children should get back to the classroom,’ as it is stopping the economy from moving. you haven't analysed the quote you've used The author presents expert advice from Brett Sutton, to show readers that a professional has actually said that ‘from a health point of view,’ there is no ‘problem with schools,’ reopening. you've said what it shows readers, but not how it positions readers Obrien shows too much repetition of the word 'show', a stronger verb will allow you to convey something more specific readers that Andrews is contradicting the advice he is being given by medical professionals, thus positioning him to be viewed as untrustworthy and unreliable. Therefore, readers see that Obrien’s article is supported by a professional, and her assertion that the Government should open schools is beyond a personal judgment. I would word what I've italicised a little differently, because you don't need to repeat that her article is substantiated with professional advice - you've already said this the personal judgement stuff is good! Furthermore, Obrien suggests that some teachers want the schools to stay closed as they’ve ‘put a lot of effort into the transition of home learning.’ She implies that these teachers are being selfish, and ‘shouldn’t be calling the shots.’ As readers instinctively associate selfishness with these teachers, the reader effect is too certain here, need to tone down modality they realise that the Premier is wrong and unjust to listen to this ‘small group.’ you could go into closer analysis - what are the connotations of the word selfish? you can also go on to talk about, for example, how it is a teacher's responsibility to act in the best interests of their students and further their education, but the fact that they deviate from what is expected from them and what they are paid to do reflects 'badly' upon their profession and positions them as apathetic to their students' learning ---> you could go on to analyse how reader groups like parents and students would feel about this if you identify them as being part of the audience of the piece in your intro The author later acknowledges that ‘teachers and students need to be protected,’ so readers can view her as understanding and caring. Readers’ no apostrophe needed here are then more inclined to support her stance, as she does understands the importance of safety. Through the example of schools, Obrien shows this word :P readers that the government is being unjust and contradictory, and their strict actions are therefore unnecessary. I feel this conclusion is a bit out of the blue - you haven't really analysed throughout your para how the government has been positioned so it might be good to link it a little more. I get why the government is made to feel this way, but a little more connection would be really good here I think

The author further argues that Andrews is being ‘too cautious’ in implementing restrictions. Obrien uses statistical evidence, no comma needed here that ‘161,000 people….have been tested,’ and ‘only 30….cases have been found,’ to enhance this argument. She aims to assure readers that Coronavirus isn’t spreading as rapidly as they might think, and therefore, the Government’s strict restrictions are unjustifiable. how does this go on to position the government? (not just their restrictions?) --> for example, you might say she positions the government as unnecessarily prudent, which precludes them from making the right decision for their state (I'm making this up since I haven't read the article haha) Similarly, Mark Knight’s cartoon humorously reflects this idea in a humorous way. By drawing Andrews with the gear of a lollipop man, Knight reflects his commanding attitudes and his reluctancy to let allow workers to resume their normal lives. In this case, the uniform has negative connotations of inducing power and showing authority, making the reader associate such qualities with the Premier, too certain with reader effect as well as the idea that Andrews role as Premier has ‘[gone] to his head.’ The parked cars in front of the crossing metaphorically expresses express that traffic has stopped, but Andrews is the only one stopping the flow. By sarcastically depicting Victoria’s ‘road back to normality,’ as halted, Knight aims to show viewers that the Premier is not willing unwilling to compromise, and is keeping restrictions for his own benefit. The colours used in the cartoon are desaturated and dismal, which symbolises the distress and hardships workers are struggling through financially. good! Along with this, the annoyed faces of the drives attempt to evoke feelings of sympathy from the reader, as it is evident that the restrictions aren’t helping any of these people.

It is further suggested by the author that there is no unity between Victoria and Australia’s lockdown measures, and this is unjustifiable. I feel you've repeated 'unjustifiable' too many times By comparing AFL footballers that ‘are allowed to train,’ to the inability to let a child play at a park, O’Brien pinpoints the contradictory actions taken by Victoria’s Government. This inclines readers to feel disappointed, as there is no middle line between the restrictions being placed. Moreover, the author references that ‘politicking,’ has resumed, to show hmmm readers that the Government has moved on from public safety, as and? is now tightening restrictions as a game. you can go further with this! what are the implications? how is the reader inclined to feel? e.g. the fact that they see it as a game ---> government is ignoring their moral duty to serve the people ----> games often carry connotations of lighthearted fun so the government isn't seeing this seriously anymore By contrasting Andrews with Annastacia Palaszczuk who ‘followed the lead of the Liberal Prime Minister,’ O’Brien shows :O that Andrews is not a team player, thus making readers realise too certain that O’Brien is reasonable in her opinion. The audience is positioned to further feel more unsupported, as the Government is rather using Coronavirus to play politics. Additionally, O’Brien praises Victoria’s ‘testing regimen,’ to make readers realise that Victoria is in a good position. This makes the author seem reasonable, as her contention is supported with evidence. I feel like you've used this technique (statistics + evidence) enough already, try not to analyse the same techniques over and over In conjunction with this, she uses repetition with the rule of three, (‘identify, isolate, contain,’) again, I don't think it is a good idea to use brackets in your essay to add a memorable aspect of the argument to readers.

O’Brien ends her article insultingly by condescending condescendingly insults the Premier at the end of her article by suggesting that he is on an ‘egocentric power trip.’ analyse this quote By ending with this, readers are set to reflect on Andrews real morals, and therefore accept the authors stance on this issue.
By pinpointing the weaknesses of the Victorian Government in relation to Coronavirus restrictions, O’Brien aims to persuade readers that the strict restrictions are mostly unnecessary. overused vocab By primarily drawing attention to school closures the author shows :OOO that Victoria’s economy is hurting due to this. In addition to the article, Mark Knight’s cartoons mocks the strict restrictions placed by Andrews, and his reluctancy to let industry move back into work.

Analysis of that small visual – not really sure where to place in this essay……
The added visual aims to balance out the stern nature of the article. Through a word play on ‘the good, the bad, the ugly,’ it presents a recap of the past week. The bright, bold colours are intended to attract the readers eye, and the cartoon faces give a playful aspect to the article. you can add the analysis wherever you see fit. might be worth it to spend some time modifying a part of your essay so you can smoothly integrate this analysis in
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 07:28:16 am by whys »
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 02:15:43 pm »
Thank you so much whys! I really, truly appreciate the time you took to do this!! Its really helpful.

Also, does anyone have any tips on writing specifically on how the reader is positioned to feel? I feel like I always struggle with this!

:)

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 03:09:48 pm »
+1
Also, does anyone have any tips on writing specifically on how the reader is positioned to feel? I feel like I always struggle with this!
I like to split reader effect into:
1. HOW the reader is positioned to feel a certain way &
2. WHY they are positioned this way
Try and consider the specific group of people the article targets. If you can find this instead of generalising it to the public, it will become much easier (sometimes though, the public does end up being the target demographic).

For example, we have a newsletter about working to oppose climate change that is sent to people subscribed to it. Obviously the target here is people who already care about the environment. Let's say we have the following quote:
"YOU are the cause of climate change, and if you don't contribute your part, then the earth will inevitably surrender to irreversible damage." (I completely made this up)
There are a lot of things you can analyse here, but let's say I go with analysing the verb surrender. It suggests that this a battle and we should not allow our planet to 'lose' to the tyrannically portrayed 'irreversible damage'. This would likely make the reader feel guilty because they are self-proclaimed environmentalists yet they allow climate change to persist.
If we change the target audience to the government, this would likely make the government feel guilty as well, but they would feel guilty because they have immense power to reduce its large-scale effects.

Here, we have identified the reader effect while also referring to how it positions their specific target audience. The WHY part is just saying why the author positions this way, which is usually just to support their contention. You don't need to explicitly link back to the contention all the time, but doing so once in a while will bring ground your analysis and make sure it's relevant to the contention.

I guess just practising this over and over will help you get better! Hope this helps :)
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash