Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 07:23:23 pm

Author Topic: Did badly in a SAC, how will this affect my study score?  (Read 2418 times)  Share 

The Real Llama

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Did badly in a SAC, how will this affect my study score?
« on: October 08, 2020, 07:36:07 pm »
Hello, this is my first post here so apologies if this topic comes up a lot of I am breaking a rule of some kind, but I just received the mark for the final SAC of the year for Biology and I got a 63%. Now I average high 80's to low 90's in Bio, so this felt like a punch in the gut. Going forward, how will this affect my study score? Again, apologies if these kinds of questions come up a lot but I need some closure.

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
Re: Did badly in a SAC, how will this affect my study score?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 08:07:24 pm »
+3
Hello, this is my first post here so apologies if this topic comes up a lot of I am breaking a rule of some kind, but I just received the mark for the final SAC of the year for Biology and I got a 63%. Now I average high 80's to low 90's in Bio, so this felt like a punch in the gut. Going forward, how will this affect my study score? Again, apologies if these kinds of questions come up a lot but I need some closure.
Hi! Usually one sac mark doesn't matter too much as they look at your Unit 3 and Unit 4 sac average. You can read about the whole scaling thing on this thread where you can find more links: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=176711.0

In less words if you don't want to read them right now they take your averages or total mark in Unit 3/4 and then rank you. If most of your cohort got 80s to 90s in both sacs then I'd say your ranking definitely would've dropped but we can't say much without knowing more. If you want to calculate your study score then check out the AN calculator or this link where you can ask experts here to calculate your study score based on your Unit 3 sac average and rank, Unit 4 sac average and rank, Bio cohort size, cohort strength, and predicted exam score out of 120: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=138501.0
Or you can try out keltingmeith's own calculator: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=192197.0

In all honesty, I do suggest that you should use your sac marks as a method of improving as you can't really change them now and even if one bad sac may reduce your study score from what it could've been, you can still do well on the exam which makes up a whopping 60%. You can do this!! All the best!
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

markmorstentine

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
Re: Did badly in a SAC, how will this affect my study score?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 09:07:22 pm »
+1
Last year I was getting around the same SAC scores as you and was somewhat around rank 1 when I got 63% for the last SAC. I was devasted but in hindsight I still got 43 (44 scaled) which is not too bad, and around what I wanted so don't get caught up in with SACs cause if you do well in the exam VCAA can identify that score as a somewhat outlier and account for it.