Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 10:58:16 am

Author Topic: Theatre Studies '10  (Read 6594 times)  Share 

Nic K

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Theatre Studies '10
« on: December 17, 2009, 07:32:26 pm »
I'm on a roll making these topics haha! Anyone else doing this subject?

I did drama first semester last year and theatre second and I find theatre SAC questions more difficult to understand. However, I really do enjoy this subject!!!!
2009:
Health and Human Development

2010:
English
Geography
Environmental Science
National Politics
Theatre Studies

StringFever

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Facebook-free since September
Re: Theatre Studies '10
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 10:15:58 pm »
I did Theatre this year, and as "easy" as the subject may seem on the surface - you are required to demonstrate a high level of theatrical literacy (in the sense of using and understanding the VCAA terms used to describe particular elements of Theatre) in order to get a good mark.

Therefore, I recommend you go to the VCAA website and read up on the study design for Theatre Studies, and start familiarizing yourself with the terms used in the VCAA glossary! :)

Best of luck!
2008: Biology
2009: English Literature, Chemistry, Mathematical Methods, Indonesian SL, Theatre Studies

Nic K

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 01:08:24 am »
Thanks for your advice! On Orientation Week my teacher gave the class what she called a 'Theatre Studies Bible' with three pages of terms of definitions so I'll definitely be familiarising myself with these.

Any other advice? Hahaha. Love advice! :D
2009:

2010:
English
Geography
Environmental Science
National Politics
Theatre Studies

StringFever

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 07:28:01 pm »
You're lucky you have a teacher who gave you the "bible" - our teacher didn't, and subsequently some of the weaker students bombed out in the exam due to poor expression of theatrical ideas.

Other advice: Make really REALLY detailed notes of the plays you see - you will have to write about them at the end of the year, so the more info you make while you're seeing the show; the better position you will be.

Also, be creative with your monologue. Go to Top Class and see what last year's bunch did; and use that as inspiration for creating a piece that is fresh and innovative. Ultimately you have to ace your monologue, because it has such a huge impact on your potential study score!
2009: English Literature, Chemistry, Mathematical Methods, Indonesian SL, Theatre Studies

Nic K

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 04:48:52 pm »
Thanks for all your advice!! I will definitely use it :D
2009:

2010:
English
Geography
Environmental Science
National Politics
Theatre Studies

Nic K

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 07:11:27 pm »
I have another question....what is your advice to create a brilliant folio?
2009:

2010:
English
Geography
Environmental Science
National Politics
Theatre Studies

StringFever

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 09:44:18 pm »
Hello Nic,

My advice for the folio is to spend at LEAST half an hour on it EVERY night once your project has commenced.
In doing so, you can ensure that the notes you re-write for your folio are succinct, relevant and most importantly aesthetically pleasing (which is essential for the folio)

By that same token, make sure that you take notes ALL THE TIME during the whole production process. Even if it doesn't relate to your area of stagecraft specifically, these notes will help later on in SACs and the end of year exam. So do not be lazy with your note taking.

Also, bring a camera and photograph at all stages. That makes your folio look nicer AND is evidence for your written summaries about certain stages of production.

Best of luck!

Nic K

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 10:54:53 pm »
Thanks. Yeah, I'm a bit confused about what to include in each stage of the production process but I'm sure it'll become a lot clearer when we go back.

Thanks for the advice :D
2009:

2010:
English
Geography
Environmental Science
National Politics
Theatre Studies

StringFever

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 11:33:45 pm »
Well, as you know there are four major stages of production.

Stage 1 (or planning) is essentially a lot of meeting and discussions between cast and crew. You should all sit down and read through the script together. After doing that, bounce around ideas/interpretations of the script. A lot of this stage will be quite hectic so ensure you get heaps of notes taken!

Stage 2 (or rehearsals) is where actors rehearse their blocking/staging/delivery, and crew start preparing elements for the show. This is obviously more physical and is a great time to get photos taken. Also, this is a very busy time for the director/actors - so if that is one of your focus areas of stagecraft, jot down notes after EVERY rehearsal!

Stage 3 (or production) is essentially the show and the dress/technical rehearsals prior to that. Try to focus on getting your jobs right in your areas of stagecraft. Don't be as concerned about note taking - at this stage you can afford to do notes in retrospect (but try not to leave them for too long before you make notes)

Stage 4 (or post-production) is where you collect feedback about your performance, and as cast/crew EVALUATE the strengths and weaknesses of the performance and what could have been improved.

Please bear in mind that the show need not be perfect; and that the more catastrophes that occur (such as actors having trouble learning lines, etc), the better - because that will mean you will have more to write on in your SAC and folio.

Nic K

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 09:36:04 pm »
Oh okay! Thanks.

I'm the director of our play and we're doing 'The Taming of the Shrew'.

So for planning, we just take as many notes about the play and the planning of how we're going to present it? I assume that's what you mean. I thought you also had to plan stage craft elements in planning too?

Also, isn't the folio able to be your own version of the play and not just the one you do for class? So you design your dream stagecraft elements and everything? I hope that makes sense....
2009:

2010:
English
Geography
Environmental Science
National Politics
Theatre Studies

StringFever

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 09:40:53 pm »
No, you do your folio on your class play - because your SAC questions SHOULD be modelled on your class play rather than your *ideal* play.