Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 05, 2024, 03:42:30 pm

Author Topic: .  (Read 18784 times)  Share 

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +9
Re: Biology Students
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2010, 11:10:02 pm »
Cell replication - we're at the end of Unit 1 AOS 1.

yr 11 bio? mmm thats like meiosis and mitosis stuff... never liked that stuff...

dna replication by itself and that process is alright
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 11:17:24 pm by TrueLight »
http://www.campaignforliberty.com

Completed Bachelor of Science. Majored in Immunology and Microbiology.

“Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984.

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
Adolf Hitler

“The bigger the lie, the more inclined people will be to believe it”
Adolf Hitler

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2010, 11:10:56 pm »
we are learning about cellular respiration and photosynthesis, and are also in the process of doing our enzyme prac/sac

also here is a vid i found really helpful on dna transcription, translation and protein synthesis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=983lhh20rGY&feature=related

ah atp production and stuff.... never liked that too.. lol

yeah that video is pretty basic.. theres some better more detailed videos
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 11:16:13 pm by TrueLight »

“Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984.

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2010, 11:47:32 am »
We started AOS 2 the other day.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2010, 02:14:18 pm »
We are going way too slowly... Only up to molecular bio in medicine. Really, AOS 1 should be completed in 5-6 weeks, it's mostly revision from year 11.

akira88

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2010, 02:57:20 pm »
We are going way too slowly... Only up to molecular bio in medicine. Really, AOS 1 should be completed in 5-6 weeks, it's mostly revision from year 11.
I swear my class is going far too slow as well! And definitely agree with you, it is basically year 11 revision, I don't see why it should take that long.
2009: Further Maths | Literature
2010: English | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Psychology
2011: Pharmacy/Commerce Monash
2012: Second year yo!
Certificate III in Business
Certificate IV in Business Adminstration
Feel free to ask or message me for anything, I don't bite :]

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2010, 04:41:58 pm »
ha man u go through stuff in like terms 3 months... at uni in 3 months we finish everything lol

George Orwell, 1984.

Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

stonecold

• Victorian
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +255
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2010, 04:13:55 pm »
didn't wan't to start a new thread so i'll just ask here :)

basically we tested the reaction rate of an enzyme at different temperatures by testing for glucose conc at the end of the experiment.  (we put starch in at the beginning)

our controls were a test tube of enzyme and a test tube of starch both at 22 degrees.  
we tested all our other tubes (containing both enzyme and starch) at a range of temps including 4, 22, 37 and 60 degrees.

what do I say for this question:
explain whether the controls in the experiment served their purpose...

edit: and obviously there was no glucose present in either of the controls at the end.  we were using amylase btw...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 04:18:41 pm by stonecold »
2011-13: BBiomed (Microbiology & Immunology Major) @ UniMelb

VCE 2009'10: English 46 | English Language 49 | Chemistry 50 | Biology 50 | Further Mathematics 48 | Mathematical Methods CAS 39
ATAR: 99.85

"Failure is not when one falls down but rather when one fails to get up" - unknown

stonecold

• Victorian
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2010, 05:04:23 pm »
okay thanks.  but i'm confused.  the control showed the difference of enzyme by itself  and starch by itself giving nothing.  then when they were together, glucose was produced.

our teacher said the purpose of the experiment was to test the variable 'temperature.'

VCE 2009'10: English 46 | English Language 49 | Chemistry 50 | Biology 50 | Further Mathematics 48 | Mathematical Methods CAS 39

"Failure is not when one falls down but rather when one fails to get up" - unknown

stonecold

• Victorian
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2010, 05:18:30 pm »
exactly.  i get why you have amylase and glucose on their own, to ensure that they don't produce glucose on their own, but that is really a separate experiment.

In the context of this experiment, if we were testing for temp, then shouldn't all test tubes contain the same thing (amylase + starch) and the control (only one) has a set temp, and then all the other tubes are tested at a range of different temps, and the glucose conc. compared to the control to see how temperature alters the reactions rate?

but that would mean that the controls didn't serve their purpose, and i doubt that would be the answer.
it is a two mark question, so maybe you say no, and then explain why?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 05:25:36 pm by stonecold »

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2010, 05:46:17 pm »
Schools always stuff up their experiments. Mention the ambivalence in your answer.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 06:18:05 pm by aleitu1 »

stonecold

• Victorian
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2010, 06:06:15 pm »
^its so annoying.  the sac is on thursday, i guess i'll have to ask my teacher then...

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2010, 06:18:51 pm »
Yeah I suppose, very annoying stuff.

stonecold

• Victorian
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2010, 06:42:30 pm »
umm, can someone quickly explain what are the functional differences between salivary amylase and pancreatic amylase.

Amylase:
-Digestive enzyme, that breaks down starch into simple sugars such as dextrin, maltose and glucose.
-Humans have alpha amylase, which makes random products, vs. beta amylase in plants which only produces maltose.
-Both salivary amylase and pancreatic amylase have optimal pH of ~6-7 and optimal temp of 37 degrees.

are there any functional properties of amylase I should know about, which are unique to either the pancreas or saliva...

thanks.

stonecold

• Victorian
« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2010, 06:53:25 pm »
haha yeah, but my sac tomorrow unfortunately does...
:P

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2010, 07:00:38 pm »
im going to copy what this textbook (Human physiology, Lauralee Sherwood) says..

'Digestion in the mouth involves the hydrolysis of polysaccharides into disaccharides by amylase. However, the most digestion by this enzyme is accomplished in the body of the stomach after the food mass and saliva have been swallowed. Acid inactivates amylase, but in the center of the food mass, where stomach acid has not yet reached, this salivary enzyme continues to function for several more hours.'

'Like salivary amylase, pancreatic amylase contributes to carbohydrate digestion by converting polysaccharides into disaccharides. Amylase is secreted in the pancreatic juice in an active form, because active amylase does not present a danger to the secretory cells. These cells do not contain any polysaccharides.'

George Orwell, 1984.

Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler