Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 10:40:09 pm

Author Topic: Human population - Any ideas about Australia's population policies?  (Read 1878 times)  Share 

lara2707

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
Hi,
One of our case studies for human population is Australia but I can't really find any info on policies, except for the baby bonus. I know Australia is having issues with this at the moment and the problem is that we don't have an explicit policy, but we must have others related to population (eg. pensions).

If you know of any I would love to hear from you. If you're also stuck, let's have a discussion about it haha
Thanks
2009 - Psychology (44)
2010 - English (45), German (42), Revolutions (37), Geography (42), Legal Studies (38)
ATAR - 98.55
2011 - (Probably) Arts at Melbourne Uni

hellas_1821

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Human population - Any ideas about Australia's population policies?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 10:07:35 pm »
you could say influx of immigration, especially during the 60s,70s when alot of Greeks and Italians came as workers.

studying_hard

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 11:05:51 pm »
you could say influx of immigration, especially during the 60s,70s when alot of Greeks and Italians came as workers.

yeh thats the one i will most likely use

_avO

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 11:09:07 pm »
Rising numbers of skilled immigration into Australia as part of the Government's policy to maintain the labour participation rate as a result of an ageing population
2011-2014: Bachelor of Commerce/Economics @ Monash Clayton

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 09:42:50 pm »
Superannuation is a policy to support the ageing population

The Baby Bonus is a policy to increase the younger population
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

lara2707

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 05:55:33 pm »
-Baby Bonus Policy for parents who have a child or adopt a child under 2 years of age. Introduced in 2002 by the Lib Gov. to increase FR and manage the ageing population. Since end of 2008 - $5,000 per child, I think it's fortnightly payments...? It raised FR in people under 18, and increased FR slightly for 2nd and subsequent childbirths. Fears that increase in FR is only temporary.

-Major overhaul to Immigration Policy in July 2010 - new preferred occupation skills list for immigrants, dropped occupations like hairdressing and cooking in favour of doctors, nurses, engineers to crack down on ppl seeking permanent residency through low-value education course. It increased immigrants from Asia, esp. India and China.

-Parental leave - available for both parents. Up to 1 year unpaid parental leave for both parents. 18 weeks PAID parental leave.

-Child care - Gov. provides finanical assistance to help with cost of placing your child in child care. Main payments are the Child Care Benefit, Child Care Rebate, Jobs, education and training child care fee, Grandparent child care benefit and Special Child Care Benefit. Child care still hasn't met the demands in some regions, such as western Melbourne (eg. Sunshine and Broadmeadows)

-To deal with rural-urban drift - Australia encourages new migrants to settle in rural towns through improved employment, health and educaitonal services, and assistance to settle. High number of Afghanis, Sudanese and Iraqis in the Shepparton area (see New Perspectives), many have started up new businesses. But programs to divert migrants always have difficulty and migrants tend to settle with in areas where there are substantial communities of people from the same country and many job opportunities.

NOTE: I IN NO WAY PROMISE THAT THIS INFORMATION IS CORRECT. IT IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN GIVEN BY MY TEACHER. IF YOU WANT TO USE IT I SUGGEST CONFIRMING EVERYTHING AS I DON'T KNOW IF ANY IS OUTDATED. Also, I realise that it is terribly written.

Hope that helps :)

2009 - Psychology (44)
2010 - English (45), German (42), Revolutions (37), Geography (42), Legal Studies (38)
ATAR - 98.55

lara2707

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 09:41:42 pm »
Haha, just realised that I started this topic! Answered my own question :P but maybe this will help other people anyway :)
2009 - Psychology (44)
ATAR - 98.55