Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 03:44:06 pm

Author Topic: Definition of Mentor?  (Read 1741 times)  Share 

LinusX

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Definition of Mentor?
« on: November 16, 2010, 05:28:28 pm »
What does Monash Uni mean by "mentor"?

Does it have to be a teacher qualified for the subject that I will be taking up
or just some teacher who can be contacted by the Uni?

Furbob

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • diagnosed with poo brain
  • Respect: +184
Re: Definition of Mentor?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 05:33:50 pm »
I'm pretty sure you just choose someone from your school to 'represent' you in case you get sick/go missing/something bad happens, they can contact the uni.

I ended up choosing my Accounting teacher as my mentor since he's super-punctual and trustworthy :)
2011 : English | Accounting | MM CAS | Further | Japanese | MUEP Japanese
2012 : BA(Japanese&Chinese)/BComm @ Monash Clayton

chansthename

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 09:23:39 pm »
I'm pretty sure you just choose someone from your school to 'represent' you in case you get sick/go missing/something bad happens, they can contact the uni.

pretty much, my written mentor ended up taking the year of school but he was still written down as my mentor (hasn't affected me yet).

WRT teacher competence, the maths teachers at my school were not able to remember much of what I needed help with especially as the year went on. Therefore I do agree with the quoted statement.

natalie.krystal7

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Melton Christian College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 03:17:34 pm »
Ohh, I asked this numerous times to Melissa Melder, simply cause' my school wants the least hassle possible in regards to the program.

She assures that this 'mentor' role is almost completely inconsequential and 95% of the time, they never contact the mentor. It's only in situations where, for example, you were absent from your classes too many times in a row or didn't submit your assignments consistently that they contact this 'go-between' staff member.

She also assured me that they want as little to do with your school as well XD And more to do simply with the individual student. So your mentor does not have to be a staff member who knows anything about the subject, they could be from a completely different 'faculty' (extreme example: an Art teacher as a mentor for MUES Mathematics).

Hope that helps somewhat. ^^
Was a med hopeful in 2011 currently studying Science/Laws at Deakin University.

Did English, Chinese SL, Methods CAS, Biology and Chemistry + Retail Cert III in Year 12.

Feel free to ask any questions related to the above; and I AM SOOO SORRY to all the people who've inboxed me since last year for my non-responsiveness, I forgot completely about this forum for quite awhile.

For 2012 and 2013 Year 12ers, I wish yous all the best!!! :D