Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 07, 2024, 11:00:20 am

Author Topic: Lit kids!  (Read 5333 times)  Share 

Capricious

Lit kids!
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2007, 12:12:16 pm »
Quote from: "Insane_Emm"
we did a prac exam, like most schools, and it depressed me INTENSELY when one of my best friends got 40/40. gaaaaaaaah. is anyone like me, and incredibly unprepared for thursday? i have psych the same day*groan*

Gah 40/40? Can I swap brains with your friend for Thursday? I'm so unprepared and it's my only English. We don't have practice exams at my school except for English. I've being doing practice ones and I do ok on Lear and fail miserably on my other text. My expression is terrible and it doesn't help when the lecturer at VATE said 'Oh the essays that get 20/20, I probably couldn't write in a week'  :shock: So you know there's a lot of hope for the rest of us :P

@Goosefraba: they are depressing =( I'd upload the ones I have but I don't think I have the pword for the gmail account.

Insane_Emm

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Lit kids!
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2007, 01:05:26 pm »
Quote from: "Capricious"
we did a prac exam, like most schools, and it depressed me INTENSELY when one of my best friends got 40/40. gaaaaaaaah. is anyone like me, and incredibly unprepared for thursday? i have psych the same day*groan*

Gah 40/40? Can I swap brains with your friend for Thursday? I'm so unprepared and it's my only English. We don't have practice exams at my school except for English. I've being doing practice ones and I do ok on Lear and fail miserably on my other text. My expression is terrible and it doesn't help when the lecturer at VATE said 'Oh the essays that get 20/20, I probably couldn't write in a week'  :shock: So you know there's a lot of hope for the rest of us :P

@Goosefraba: they are depressing =( I'd upload the ones I have but I don't think I have the pword for the gmail account.

lol i want to swap brains with her too... she also got full marks on the practice english one. hence me studying lit with her tmrw. i do english as well, which is so much easier than lit. we have practice exams for every subject, to see where we're sitting, i guess.
i do okay on Antigone but terribly on Donne or The White Earth. Books are a lot harder than plays or poetry i think.
whats VATE? was tht the melbourne lectures? my parents refused to let me go to those cos i live 4hrs away from Melbourne.
i got 6/20 for one. and 13/20 for another. tht was with no study. with study im guessing ill get 13-14 for both.
mm - Hunting the wild pineapple

'06 - Religion & Society
'07 - Indonesian Second Language, English, Literature, International Studies, Psychology.

Capricious

Lit kids!
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2007, 01:14:52 pm »

lol i want to swap brains with her too... she also got full marks on the practice english one. hence me studying lit with her tmrw. i do english as well, which is so much easier than lit. we have practice exams for every subject, to see where we're sitting, i guess.
i do okay on Antigone but terribly on Donne or The White Earth. Books are a lot harder than plays or poetry i think.
whats VATE? was tht the melbourne lectures? my parents refused to let me go to those cos i live 4hrs away from Melbourne.
i got 6/20 for one. and 13/20 for another. tht was with no study. with study im guessing ill get 13-14 for both.

Nice scores for no study! It's hard to study for Lit because you don't know what to expect. I got full marks on a few of my Lear essays but sometimes I can do horribly on them if the passages suck. But my teacher's not an examiner and I suspect she's marking fairly easily...Yeah the VATE lectures were the ones at unimelb - I live about 2 hours away so I didn't have it as bad as you. They were good and bad, bad being one of the lecturers used some third year lecture notes from a Uni in the States as their notes (yay google) and another recycled the ones she used last year (which I had already gotten from a friend =p) But they were good for saying what you had to do and what you shouldn't do, I'm glad I don't do English because I'd get waaay too confused between the different styles.

Insane_Emm

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
Lit kids!
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2007, 01:26:36 pm »
Quote from: "Capricious"

Nice scores for no study! It's hard to study for Lit because you don't know what to expect. I got full marks on a few of my Lear essays but sometimes I can do horribly on them if the passages suck. But my teacher's not an examiner and I suspect she's marking fairly easily...Yeah the VATE lectures were the ones at unimelb - I live about 2 hours away so I didn't have it as bad as you. They were good and bad, bad being one of the lecturers used some third year lecture notes from a Uni in the States as their notes (yay google) and another recycled the ones she used last year (which I had already gotten from a friend =p) But they were good for saying what you had to do and what you shouldn't do, I'm glad I don't do English because I'd get waaay too confused between the different styles.

lol considering my friend did no study and got full marks... maybe i shud hire a hit on her lol. its not like studying the actual texts tht im bad at, its more knowing how to analyse them. we did NO practices before the practice exam and to sit down and see 3 passages with the word "discuss" above them was FAIRLY daunting. im like 'discuss....what?' so that was fairly annoying. what was funny tho was looking around at everyone doing the prac in our school gym and everyone had the exact same look on their face, that being 'huuuuuuuh?' so that was kinda comforting XD
my teacher marks REALLY harshly and we have a theory tht he is in love with my friend cos no WAY did one of hers deserve full marks, she had maybe 4 quotes and they didnt relate to her point attt alllll.

english is so much easier. like, a million times easier. all u need really is to express urself coherently, and have a good knowledge of the text and bam! tht right there is 7/10 for an essay. doing english has helped with lit kinda.

shiiite still procrastinating...
mm - Hunting the wild pineapple

'06 - Religion & Society
'07 - Indonesian Second Language, English, Literature, International Studies, Psychology.

Fi

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
Lit kids!
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 03:47:45 pm »
Yeeeeeeah. I'm procrastinating too. I'm doing lit, but thank goodness, I did english last Friday, so I at least have one english under my belt. I think it went okay, so I can afford to go a little... worse on my lit exam.

I'm doing Donne poetry and Ragtime, a novel which I'm pretty sure no one else is doing. Well, maybe like fifty people in the state. Obscure. But yeah, the practice exams are so painful. I find it really hard, because I have trouble with the time limit. I could write so much... but there's no time. I didn't have this trouble in english. :(
006: Methods (woo for avoiding maths in yr 12!)
2007: English, Literature, Chemistry, Revolutions, French

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
Lit kids!
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2007, 06:25:54 pm »
I have Psych on the same day too. Ugh. I can't believe the Lit exam is going to go until 5:15.

I haven't studied nearly as much for Lit as for all my other subjects, fotunately it doesn't seem to matter though. I get my texts and I feel ready all the same, I just need to go over my notes. My teacher told me not to bother studying too much for Lit (apparently I don't need it) which has been a good excuse for me to focus a little more on all my other subjects.

I'm hoping to get ~18 for both essays, though I wouldn't be surprised if I got ~16-17 scores. I reeeeally want a 45+ for Lit (though I'd settle for anything above 40).

lyrawr

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
Lit kids!
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 01:05:54 pm »
im doing washington square and chekhov's three sisters.

difficult to write on but once you're on a role it just flows... but having a drama background helps immensly when studying a play.
2006 - theatre -
2007 - lit - revs - media - legal - drama -
Aiming for an Enter of 88+

ellie

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
Lit exam
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2007, 03:11:58 pm »
I'm writing on Lear and Ragtime tomorrow.
And I know - lucky us who get to do psych and lit!!!
I agree, it does help to write with a drama background. I took theatre studies last year, and drama this, and so much crosses over! It's brilliant!
And does anyone else struggle with intros? And how the heck do you write them!!! I've previously just been jumping right in, but our teacher seems to think it's a good idea to have an intro...

lyrawr

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
Lit kids!
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 09:38:31 am »
our douche of a teacher [yes, we all lover her SOO much *note the sarcasm*] kept on telling us that we need to have an interesting first line and then jump straight into the analysis.

apparently, the assessors are more interested in what you've got to say in an analytical sense then how you introduce your piece.

which is probably true...
2006 - theatre -
2007 - lit - revs - media - legal - drama -
Aiming for an Enter of 88+