Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 02, 2024, 12:59:36 pm

Author Topic: VCE Accounting Question Thread!  (Read 377572 times)  Share 

Damoz.G

Re: VCE Accounting Question Thread!
« Reply #1005 on: November 10, 2013, 07:39:28 pm »
Cheers mate :). Also, question 2e in the same exam has debited prepaid rent expense on the 1st of April in the question booklet but in the answer template it has 1st of March debited in the ledger. Screwed up the 2 marker because of this. I thought Neap was supposed to be perfect!

LOL! Don't let it get to you though. :)

Every company makes mistakes - Even VCAA!

mdotwillo

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1006 on: November 10, 2013, 07:51:53 pm »
A question on Stock Cards:

Stock Gain - always follow Conservatism, that is, if there are two balances with differing cost prices, always add the quantity to the cheaper of the cost prices so as not to overstate assets and owner's equity.

Stock Loss - always use FIFO as per normal

Purchase Returns - the credit note must identify the cost price of the stock that is being returned (i.e. FIFO doesn't apply)

Here's where my question is....

Sales Returns - it says in the VCAA Study Design that FIFO is reversed (i.e. Last out, first in - regardless of whether the last stock out was a sale or not). The textbook also suggests this.

However, in one practice exam, and I think maybe another one or two, there have been instances whereby in additional information they will say that a trade debtor has returned "stock line" purchased on "specific date" (which is normally a few weeks prior to the last entry in the stock card). So, my question is, should it appear tomorrow, do we uphold the rule stated in the Study Design and the textbook, or do we specifically record, in the 'IN' column, the particular cost price that the trade debtor paid on the specified date (because more often that not, the cost prices will differ depending on what way you go about it)?

Damoz.G

« Reply #1007 on: November 10, 2013, 07:55:12 pm »
A question on Stock Cards:

Stock Gain - always follow Conservatism, that is, if there are two balances with differing cost prices, always add the quantity to the cheaper of the cost prices so as not to overstate assets and owner's equity.

Purchase Returns - the credit note must identify the cost price of the stock that is being returned (i.e. FIFO doesn't apply)

Here's where my question is....

Sales Returns - it says in the VCAA Study Design that FIFO is reversed (i.e. Last out, first in - regardless of whether the last stock out was a sale or not). The textbook also suggests this.

However, in one practice exam, and I think maybe another one or two, there have been instances whereby in additional information they will say that a trade debtor has returned "stock line" purchased on "specific date" (which is normally a few weeks prior to the last entry in the stock card). So, my question is, should it appear tomorrow, do we uphold the rule stated in the Study Design and the textbook, or do we specifically record, in the 'IN' column, the particular cost price that the trade debtor paid on the specified date (because more often that not, the cost prices will differ depending on what way you go about it)?

Always LIFO. :)

I've come across that as well, and it was in last year's VCAA Exam 2 as well - Have a look at Question 6 (2012 VCAA Exam 2):
http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/account/2012/2012account2-w.pdf

The second dot point in Additional Information says "A customer (T Wilson) returned two units purchased from Tech Talk on 25 November for a total of $1320 including GST (Credit Note 15)". Even though the Sale was in the previous month, you still had to use LIFO.

Hopefully that convinces you enough. :)

mdotwillo

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #1008 on: November 10, 2013, 08:00:58 pm »
Always LIFO. :)

I've come across that as well, and it was in last year's VCAA Exam 2 as well - Have a look at Question 6 (2012 VCAA Exam 2):
http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/account/2012/2012account2-w.pdf

The second dot point in Additional Information says "A customer (T Wilson) returned two units purchased from Tech Talk on 25 November for a total of $1320 including GST (Credit Note 15)". Even though the Sale was in the previous month, you still had to use LIFO.

Hopefully that convinces you enough. :)

Life saver! Thanks so much.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 08:06:00 pm by mdotwillo »

BoredSatan

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • <3
  • Respect: +72
  • School: GWSC
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #1009 on: November 10, 2013, 08:02:58 pm »
Guess who's back online ;)
Master of Dentistry, Latrobe University 2011 ATAR: 99.75
ATARnotes Accounting Unit 3&4 Study Guide Author

Damoz.G

« Reply #1010 on: November 10, 2013, 08:05:28 pm »
Life saver! Thanks so much.

No worries! :)

Guess who's back online ;)

You, but I'm going to sleep now. Sorry. =/

LOL! Jokes. :P

mdotwillo

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #1011 on: November 10, 2013, 08:06:26 pm »
No worries! :)

Although, unfortunately, it didn't provide absolute clarity on the issue because they would have purchased the stock for $350 cost price most likely anyway, as that was the only cost price in the balance on 1 December (considering they purchased stock on 25 November). In saying that, it has increased my confidence by a long way regarding using LIFO. And, let's be honest, if the official study design states that LIFO is the correct way, surely that outweighs any of these 'specific date' type questions!

Damoz.G

« Reply #1012 on: November 10, 2013, 08:08:40 pm »
Although, unfortunately, it didn't provide absolute clarity on the issue because they would have purchased the stock for $350 cost price most likely anyway, as that was the only cost price in the balance on 1 December (considering they purchased stock on 25 November). In saying that, it has increased my confidence by a long way regarding using LIFO. And, let's be honest, if the official study design states that LIFO is the correct way, surely that outweighs any of these 'specific date' type questions!

Well if it tells you a price in the information, then use it. But if it doesn't tell you a Cost Price even though it was in a previous RP (e.g. the 2012 VCAA Exam), use LIFO.

Mafioso

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #1013 on: November 10, 2013, 08:12:56 pm »

Say my stock card balance currently indicates that I have 1 stock item at $50 (first in) and another stock item at $60 (last in). If a stocktake tells me that I have 1 stock on hand, does this mean that I assume that the stock worth $50 is 'lost'? Doesn't this breach conservatism since the loss is being understated by not recording the stock worth $60 as being lost?
Currently tutoring Business Management [50].  Spots open for 2015

Damoz.G

« Reply #1014 on: November 10, 2013, 08:14:59 pm »
Say my stock card balance currently indicates that I have 1 stock item at $50 (first in) and another stock item at $60 (last in). If a stocktake tells me that I have 1 stock on hand, does this mean that I assume that the stock worth $50 is 'lost'? Doesn't this breach conservatism since the loss is being understated by not recording the stock worth $60 as being lost?

It does breach Conservatism, but the business will never know what Cost Price of the Stock was actually lost, so we follow the Rules of FIFO. If the 1@$50 is mentioned first in the Stock Card, then go with that.

mdotwillo

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #1015 on: November 10, 2013, 08:18:52 pm »
Well if it tells you a price in the information, then use it. But if it doesn't tell you a Cost Price even though it was in a previous RP (e.g. the 2012 VCAA Exam), use LIFO.

Yeah that seems like the way to go. Thanks again :)

I've also considered this before (it is strange how it can breach Conservatism), but yes, I agree with Caparva.

Damoz.G

« Reply #1016 on: November 10, 2013, 08:20:32 pm »
Yeah that seems like the way to go. Thanks again :)

No worries. :)

Mafioso

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #1017 on: November 10, 2013, 08:30:10 pm »
What are some limitations of control accounts and subsidiary ledgers?
Currently tutoring Business Management [50].  Spots open for 2015

TimmyC

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • School: Lara Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #1018 on: November 10, 2013, 08:32:56 pm »
+1
What are some limitations of control accounts and subsidiary ledgers?
If you mean negatives too there could be
- if there's only or two debtors it's rather pointless to set up control accounts and subsidiary ledgers
-can create more expenses due to more work required
2013: Accounting

2014: Methods, Spesh, Legal, Distance Ed Economics and English

Damoz.G

« Reply #1019 on: November 10, 2013, 08:36:50 pm »
+1
If you mean negatives too there could be
- if there's only or two debtors it's rather pointless to set up control accounts and subsidiary ledgers
-can create more expenses due to more work required

Yup, and its also time consuming which is another negative. :)