Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 08:20:50 pm

Author Topic: Stasiland  (Read 24137 times)  Share 

Mariazz

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Stasiland
« on: January 29, 2011, 03:58:18 pm »
Just wondering if anyone else is doing Stasiland as a text and what they think aboout it?

tarek

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: -11
Re: Stasiland
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 08:00:19 pm »
I did Stasiland last year, good text to score highly on!

treehugger25

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 01:05:00 pm »
Yeah I'm also doing Stasiland but it involves a lot of contextualisation prior to reading it. Well it sure does help :P

LeahT

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 04:17:28 pm »
I'm doing Stasiland this year too. I loved it, but I'm also a history buff so there was no confusion for me about the historical aspects of the book - I suggest studying up on the Communist regime in Germany if you want to have any hope of understanding the underlying issues.
2010: Psychology [38] Further Maths [36]

2011: Legal Studies [38+] English [40+] Renaissance History [40+] Literature [36+]
Hoping for an ATAR of 90.

2012: Arts/Education or Arts/Law at Monash Clayton?

iffets12345

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 12:41:09 pm »
Stasiland is a great book for leisure reading. From what I remember, because I didn't do Stasiland in my exam (purposes which I'll write down later if you're concerned), here are a few things you might want to take note of.

1. Imagery is extremely important and you ought to analyse the reccurent motifs or colour schemes within the text.
2. You're going to need to think hard about what you think Funder's stance is in the text- It's not as obvious as you think.
3. Then you need to assess how she attempts to implement such 'slight' bias into the text whilst retaining a sense of fact and information in the text. E.g, The text is almost non-fiction, bar these inputs from Funder, which shows that if she was attempting to present this book as factual it is almost a facade amidst her own observations and input in the text.
4. Which leads to a very obvious and critical part that must be in your close reading- How do these little narrations and side-tracked observations affect the reader when reading the text and a) introduce Funder's perspective and opinion, b) influence us subtly and almost I think, sneakily?
5. The most difficult part of Stasiland is to think of a reason for WHY Funder wrote the novel. Don't just say to inform us, the Western reader. It goes far deeper than that I think. It delves into the psychology of suppressing trauma instead of remembering, instead of progressing by working through such experience, it delves into WHY we as humans have a certain type of Mindset, or even more specific than that, why the Germans have this mindset, why the "german" experience is another world of its own.
6. Then you'll need to make up a choice- Is this text exploring such issues enclosing it decisively within the world of Germany, with the stance that what happened is a uniquely German phenomenon, isolated to German experience, or is she attempting to extrapolate this and make a universal claim about humanity from what she is looking at? Personally, when I look at how Funder expresses her connection with German culture and weird admiration for it, I believe in the former. Do what you want but make sure you support it.

On the outset, Stasiland appears quite simple and I thought I was going to do it for the exam. Within the text however there are many underlying structures and points you need to consider. I didn't choose Stasiland because I have to profess I felt like the passages contained at times, so much factual input rather than Funder's own manipulation of writing that I had hardly anything that my skills could analyse. How the heck do you analyse non fiction?

Feel free to message on dentistry questions

low0007

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 06:58:12 pm »
We're doing Stasiland. I don't really know much about politics (fascism, communism, etc.) can anyone really quickly distinguish between them for me? I just feel that I'm going to need to have a bit of political knowledge to fully grasp what went down...

13Ian96forever

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School: Balwyn High School
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 01:51:47 pm »
Hey anyone who did stasiland if you haven't finished the book and you need a desperate outline of what happens in each chapter what do you do????

Limista

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +63
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 02:03:50 pm »
We're doing Stasiland. I don't really know much about politics (fascism, communism, etc.) can anyone really quickly distinguish between them for me? I just feel that I'm going to need to have a bit of political knowledge to fully grasp what went down...

Just briefly, but I think you should know some of the details:

Fascism - discrimination against a race (e.g. during Neonazism there was discrimination against or a stigma attached to the Jews)
Communism - everyone experiences equality (e.g. everyone gets the same pay, no-one has access to materialistic things)
Bachelor of Biomedicine @ The University of Melbourne (II) 2014-2016
Follow me on my blog