Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 03:33:00 pm

Author Topic: Student Lectures  (Read 10059 times)  Share 

LeahT

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Student Lectures
« on: March 04, 2011, 06:40:16 pm »
Is anyone else going to the student lectures at Melbourne Uni on the 27th of March?

Heard anything about them, know if they're worthwhile?
2010: Psychology [38] Further Maths [36]

2011: Legal Studies [38+] English [40+] Renaissance History [40+] Literature [36+]
Hoping for an ATAR of 90.

2012: Arts/Education or Arts/Law at Monash Clayton?

Menang

Re: Student Lectures
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 07:00:13 pm »
Is this the HTAV one?

I haven't fully decided yet, but I'm definitely thinking about it. I went to the October one for Revs last year (just as revision). Not really useful in terms of learning new things or anything, but it's nice to know that other teachers/students in the state are doing the same things you are.

LeahT

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 07:04:57 pm »
That's the one, yeah :)

I went to some local revision lectures last year that were really useful for consolidating what you know, and teaching you how to express it, and tips for the exam and stuff. But I haven't done any with HTAV so I just wanted to make sure they were worth it before I dragged myself all the way to Melbourne. I just bought a ticket anyways, so it looks like I'm going =D

2011: Legal Studies [38+] English [40+] Renaissance History [40+] Literature [36+]

Menang

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 07:12:30 pm »
Awesome, I might see you there. :P

LeahT

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 05:26:17 pm »
Did you decide whether or not you're going to go? I have to be up at 5.30am to get the train up. So not happy xD

Look for the girl wearing Essendon colours, if you're there :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 09:36:11 pm by LeahT »

Menang

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 02:54:56 pm »
Hey, I did go, but I don't think I would've recognised you. :S

What did you think of the speakers? :)

LeahT

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 07:23:59 pm »
Haha probably not. I was sitting in the right section with three others, until that late group came in.

I thought they were good, but their time management wasnt amazing. The first lecturer spoke very fast, and the fact that she read the entire thing from a sheet didn't make it any better. The second was better, but I would have loved to have actually heard the rest of it. She spent a little too much time on the beggining basics, and not enough of the actual information.

The other thing I wasn't prepared for was the style - all other VCE lectures I've been to were directly related to the course, and involved information on structure of answers, key examples etc. The information at this was very interesting, but not directly related to the study.

What did you think?

Menang

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 06:34:31 pm »
I absolutely agree.

The first speaker stuck more to the study design, but was a little boring, with the reading from a sheet.

The second one was really engaging, I enjoyed it, but was a little all over the place and wayy to disorganised.
My teacher went too, actually, and we'll be going over the lecture in class tomorrow. :)

LeahT

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 08:37:25 pm »
Was he the male teacher sitting to the left of the middle section? Balding a bit?

My teacher came too, which was so nice, since only three people from my class went, and it's a long drive to Melbourne. We have our SAC in the next class, so she wont be discussing it there, and she was a bit annoyed that only three people went. I don't blame her actually, people don't take this subject seriously at my school, it's ridiculous.

Menang

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 10:13:03 pm »
Was he the male teacher sitting to the left of the middle section? Balding a bit?

My teacher came too, which was so nice, since only three people from my class went, and it's a long drive to Melbourne. We have our SAC in the next class, so she wont be discussing it there, and she was a bit annoyed that only three people went. I don't blame her actually, people don't take this subject seriously at my school, it's ridiculous.
Aww, well only about 4 from my school went as well. How many students are there in your class?

Yeah, the white-haired man, slightly balding sitting on the left. :)

LeahT

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 10:31:18 pm »
About 24 - we usually have two history classes, but this year timetabling screwed up so the two were combined. Its a big class, most of the people are there because they think history's a bludge subject (it was in year 11, but not Renaissance). But a few have dropped out of it now, so it's probably not quite that big. how about yours?

Menang

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 06:42:14 pm »
Hahaha, every year Rens is way less popular than Revs.

There's 2 full classes (20-25 students) for Revolutions, but only one class of 12 for Rens. :P

LeahT

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 11:13:58 am »
Wow, I can't believe that many people prefer revolutions. Our school only runs Renaissance, and the single class.

Have you done your SAC yet? I did mine yesterday, it was just 3 vague extended answer questions - one on defining the renaissance, one on comparing two city states (one republic and one not) and another on the influence of humanist on art. Overall I think I did well, but I'm not 100% if I did got the balance of evidence and analysis right. I guess I'll find out next week :)

Menang

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 08:05:12 pm »
Wow, I can't believe that many people prefer revolutions. Our school only runs Renaissance, and the single class.

Have you done your SAC yet? I did mine yesterday, it was just 3 vague extended answer questions - one on defining the renaissance, one on comparing two city states (one republic and one not) and another on the influence of humanist on art. Overall I think I did well, but I'm not 100% if I did got the balance of evidence and analysis right. I guess I'll find out next week :)
Nope, we're running behind. I don't think we'll have the sac until next term, to be honest, which is a little dodgy.

LeahT

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 01:32:06 pm »
Gosh, that's gotta suck. Although, extra time to prepare is always good. Do you know what form your SAC will be?