Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 07, 2024, 03:12:37 pm

Author Topic: Technology in Operations Management  (Read 1219 times)  Share 

shinny

• VN MVP 2010
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +256
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2008
Technology in Operations Management
« on: June 21, 2008, 06:07:42 pm »
Can anyone provide some clear definitions to distinguish between computer-aided manufacturing (CAM), flexibile manufacturing systems (FMS) and computer integrated manufacturing (CIM)? My textbook doesn't give very concise definitions and I'ld prefer to have a concise definition ready rather than quote paragraphs from my textbook.
MBBS (hons) - Monash University

YR11 '07: Biology 49
YR12 '08: Chemistry 47; Spesh 41; Methods 49; Business Management 50; English 43

ENTER: 99.70

akkxn

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Re: Technology in Operations Management
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 03:39:50 pm »
marotta gave us a sheet with all that shiz on it... but it's still pretty hard to internalise.
2008 ENTER: 97.35

ENG: 40 -> 39.45
PE: 49 -> 48.89
BM: 45 -> 43.43
ChineseSL: 33 -> 44.35
Methods: 22 -> 26.55
Viscom(2007): 41 -> 38.18

2009: comm/law @ deakin

jsimmo

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 04:14:39 pm »
Technology is used so much throughout the Operations Function of an organisation and it would be impossible to know what each different "system" does. Therefore, you don't really need to have a great understanding of all the operations technology terminology, you only need to know the advantages and disadvantages that technology has for an organisation and how it can be used as an operations strategy.

If there was an exam question that relates to the types of technology used within a given case study then it would only be necessary to suggest the obvious examples - robotics, CAD, CAM

For the sake of your question: I don't know the exact defnitions of the terms you provided so I will just provide a rough definition of CAM and CIM.

Computer-Aided Manufacturing (CAM): Technology that is used to control and monitor the manufacturing process. It basically is used to program, setup, control, monitor and generate reports for manufacturing equipment and processes.

Computer Integrated Manufacturing (CIM): The use of computers for manufacturing planning and/or computer aided design.

2008: English , Business Management , IT: Applications , Further Maths , Studio Arts 
2009: Monash University

daniel99

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 06:42:22 pm »
Can anyone provide some clear definitions to distinguish between computer-aided manufacturing (CAM), flexibile manufacturing systems (FMS) and computer integrated manufacturing (CIM)? My textbook doesn't give very concise definitions and I'ld prefer to have a concise definition ready rather than quote paragraphs from my textbook.

CAM (computer aided manufactoring): is the use of computer programs to design a production process and to control the actual production of goods, that is, computer direct machinery and equipment.

CIM (computer integrated manufacotiring): is advanced process technology that integrates product design, product engineering, control of the production process, inventory control, data processing and accounting into one computerised system. Known as the "factories of the future".

FMS (flexible manufactoring systems): Automatic computer control of machinery and the manufactoring process. Under this flexible system, a production line can easily switch to different types of inputs and products.