Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 02:22:15 pm

Author Topic: [Subject] Kill The Possum Essay  (Read 4419 times)  Share 

crabby

[Subject] Kill The Possum Essay
« on: May 01, 2011, 07:15:24 pm »
I have written an essay for a library task which needs correcting:

James Moloney has written thirty-five books so far and has produced many award-winning novels. His latest novel, “Kill the Possum”, is published by Penguin Books. The genre of the novel is realistic fiction. It is a story about Dylan Kane, a young teenager who witnesses his girlfriend, Kristy Beal, and her family being bullied by her ex-stepfather, Ian Cartwright. Ian does not abuse Kristy and her family physically. Instead, he uses words to taunt and intimidate the Beal family to breaking point. The law could not stop him so it is up to Dylan and Kristy’s brother, Tim, to come up with a plan that would make him stop. This novel is filled with suspense and there is an unexpected twist at the end of the story.

Dylan Kane faces many challenges throughout the course of the novel. When Tim came up with a plan to kill Ian Cartwright, they had to face many obstacles. “No joking, Dylan. I mean it, I’m really going to kill the bastard,” Tim shouted in fury, “there’s no other way he will leave us alone." Tim knows that Ian Cartwright owns a rifle and they plan to steal it and use it against him. Firstly, Dylan had to break into Ian’s house and steal his rifle when he is not around. After stealing the rifle, he had to kill Ian when he comes back home. When Ian Cartwright came back home, Dylan decides to take action. Dylan steps into Ian’s bedroom and sees him asleep on his bed. He has the rifle in his hands but at the last moment, he hesitates and ran out of the house. Dylan was confronted with the challenge of killing Ian Cartwright, which he failed to do so.

The plot has a twist at the end. When Dylan could not manage to kill Ian Cartwright, he left the stolen rifle with Tim, who kept it in a secret compartment in his wardrobe. As soon as Ian found out that his rifle was stolen, he went straight to Tim’s house and confronted Tim. “Where is it!” Ian roars as soon as he sees Tim. When Tim does not respond, Ian rushed into his bedroom immediately and started to search for his rifle. After rummaging through his wardrobe and messing up the entire area, he still could not find the rifle. He starts to threaten Tim, “I’m going to beat the truth out of you, boy, and I don’t care if the police do charge me. It’ll worth it.” When Ian found out that Kristy is calling the police, he started attacking her as well. Tim decides to stop Ian, so he takes the rifle out of his wardrobe and shot Ian. However, Ian managed to snatch the rifle from Tim and he shot both Tim and Kristy, before turning the gun on himself. Kristy died after she was shot but Tim managed to survive with some injuries. The ending of the story had a twist because it was not expected that Ian would commit suicide and that Kristy would get killed.

Overall, the book is quite enjoyable as it is filled with suspense and has an unexpected ending. However, the plot is quite boring as nothing much happens in the story. I will be prepared to read other novels written by James Moloney in the future.

Thanks in advance :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 07:40:55 pm by burbs »