Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 06:03:55 pm

Author Topic: Lets get some life into Revs dammit!  (Read 3578 times)  Share 

Amnesiac

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
Lets get some life into Revs dammit!
« on: October 09, 2008, 09:59:30 pm »
I hate to be pessimistic, but can people start using this threa lol. It will helping everyone out in some way, i assure you. If anybody has anything to say regarding the study of Revolutions, then share. Study tactics, exam thoughts, revision lectures etc..

I beg of you.
XX
2007 | Visual Communication and Design [37] VCE VET Hospitality [39]
2008 | Media Studies [42] English [40] History Revolutions [40] Further Mathematics [39] Psychology [37]
ENTER | 91.15

2009 | Arts/Education [Secondary] - Monash Clayton.

JL_91

Re: Lets get some life into Revs dammit!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 01:10:00 am »
Exam thoughts: Absolutely freaking about the essay section, and currently feeling between 80-90% prepared for the other 3 sections

Study tactics: procrastinate.study.procrastinate! In the time allocated to 'study', I've been identifying any gaps in my memory/knowledge and reading over my texts and notes to brush up.

Other thoughts: Very, very disappointed with the standard of my writing in my final SAC (we had to write 2 essays in 1 hour), after having aced or nearly aced all of the other 3 SACs :( I plan on not even looking at my mark or my crit sheet when I get it back, because I know that all it'll do is make me so unhappy that I can't concentrate on studying properly!

Anyone else have thoughts? :)

Amnesiac

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 08:21:08 am »
I'm sure you didn't go that bad, but even if you did your teacher may not be as harsh on you because you had to wrie 2 essays in an hour! that's extremely hard, so i'd be proud.
I've realy got to get a riggle on with my history study. I've been devoting tones of time to it (and everything else) all year, so studying now is an easy task, but i think i'm just going to do heaps of exam questions. I've written summeries for each AOS, and i've got a data base of historians opinions for each one as well. As with my other subjects, i'm probably also going to try and predict whats going to be on this years exam.

Anywho, i'm not that worried because i know my facts, and i can analyse them no worries, but its just getting those few extra marks with technique that i will hopefully learn through doing past exams.

peace
2008 | Media Studies [42] English [40] History Revolutions [40] Further Mathematics [39] Psychology [37]
ENTER | 91.15

Amnesiac

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 08:58:32 pm »
ARGH, someone say something. History is so awesome let's discuss it.
ENTER | 91.15

JL_91

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 11:39:23 pm »
Tip from my teacher, for those of you studying Russia:

"Try to argue against Lenin in your answers, even if you love him. Examiners seem to prefer Lenin-haters."

Quite true I'd say :D

...haha Amnesiac you and I seem to be the only two people trying to keep this thread alive at the moment!

Amnesiac

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 03:25:44 pm »
Haha i know. History is just so great and i hate it that we can't discuss it with others. Today we had a massive indepth discussion about exam strategy. I'm thinking of doing Russia for Section 1 and China for Section 2. (I only just decided to do China for the essay because i got 29/30 on my SAC for it lol).

Ok, i'll try and go against Lenin, and perhaps recognise the role of Trotsky. Nevertheless, if the questions requires me to focus on a Lenin, i'll probably have to lol.
ENTER | 91.15

Butler

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 06:19:04 pm »
I'm quite a fan of Revs myself. I've also heard not to be a Lenin-lover, but try and talk more about Trotsky where possible.

I've decided I'm doing France for the first section and Russia for the second.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." - Samuel Beckett.

I (L) probability.

VCE '08: Philosophy, Literature, History: Revs, Methods & English Language

JL_91

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 08:28:11 pm »
From the very start my teacher has been 'training' us to do Russia for the first and France for the second. So he's not expecting any of us to make the choice for ourselves, that's his strategy - he wanted us to learn how to properly 'package' our knowledge from each AOS into the chosen format of writing only. I'm not brave enough to go against that!

I would say the essay is still my weakest section, although I somehow got away with an A+ for my SAC (the one I mentioned earlier in this thread where I had to write 2 essays in one hour)...but I just cannot seem to come up with outstanding arguments in the allocated time =S

Amnesiac

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 07:53:51 pm »
I think i would have a similar problem - i've i'd actually done essays in a half hour haha. However, since doing english essays in an hour i think i will find it easy because History is more comprehensive IMO.

My teacher has been telling us to do Russia 1st and China 2nd and at first i disagreed with him, but now i'm beginning to realise its advantages. For example, since i write better on Creating a New Sociey for both revolutions, this didn't affect my decision. However, with rev ideas, leaders etc i had to think it through logically. In the end i decided that i would write better on Russia for the 2 short answer questions because the content is easier to understand than China (for the sheer fact that the pre rev in Russia is 17 years and for China it is 51 years haha.) Therefore, i would do the visual for China, because its more open to interpretation, and i have more historians views i can use for part d.

Easy choice now that i look at it haha.
ENTER | 91.15

Amnesiac

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 04:17:39 pm »
Anyone wanna walk history?
Share around notes or something?
JL i'm looking in your direction
ENTER | 91.15

JL_91

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 09:30:52 pm »
Ugh I've decided I'm basically not going to be able to touch my revs books again until November 5..after I've finished both my Biology and English Language exams. I'm trying to dig myself out of a whole right now for English Language...extremely screwed...so I gotta focus on that. Glad to discuss anything here though! Any thoughts, etc.

lishan515

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 01:50:18 pm »
How are you all revising for revs?

JL_91

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 02:26:36 pm »
I'll be focusing mainly on getting my French rev knowledge up to scratch - I'm very confident with Russia already, I just need to go over a few historians' perspectives and the latter half of AOS 2 for that and I'll be happy. But I need to revise EVERYTHING for France! I won't even be touching it until my English Language exam is finished, but hey, I have 8 days (Nov 5- Nov 13) to get ready so I think that's enough time. I need to do heaps of practice essays, I suck at that section as I've previously mentioned.

Anyone else with comments? Cmon keep them coming in :)

Aurelie.

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 04:31:19 pm »
I'll be focusing mainly on getting my French rev knowledge up to scratch - I'm very confident with Russia already, I just need to go over a few historians' perspectives and the latter half of AOS 2 for that and I'll be happy. But I need to revise EVERYTHING for France!

I'm exactly the same! I feel like I'm so lost in France, but I love Russsia-- its so systematic and almost simple compared to France. I'm doing France for part A and Russia for part B. I really need to start studying, but I just don't know where to begin!
Any other tips??

PS- hi revs students :)
~ Aura ~

social science, anyone?!

Butler

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 01:07:43 pm »
I'll be focusing mainly on getting my French rev knowledge up to scratch - I'm very confident with Russia already, I just need to go over a few historians' perspectives and the latter half of AOS 2 for that and I'll be happy. But I need to revise EVERYTHING for France!

I'm exactly the same! I feel like I'm so lost in France, but I love Russsia-- its so systematic and almost simple compared to France. I'm doing France for part A and Russia for part B. I really need to start studying, but I just don't know where to begin!
Any other tips??

PS- hi revs students :)

I'm the exact same way. France is still very confusing to me, but unfortunately I've been neglecting it because I have Language, Lit and Methods exams before it.
I typed up pretty comprehensive Russia notes, if anyone is interested, give me a PM. I don't know how helpful they'll be; they're essentially all my class notes plus some excerpts from the textbook.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." - Samuel Beckett.

I (L) probability.

VCE '08: Philosophy, Literature, History: Revs, Methods & English Language