Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 06:03:27 pm

Author Topic: What texts are you revising for the exam?  (Read 7735 times)  Share 

pepsi

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
What texts are you revising for the exam?
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2007, 12:33:04 pm »
I find it hard to do part 2 essays. I know a lot about the characters and such, but when it come to theme, i find it hard to elaborate and write:(

like i can answer questions about leon, valerie, romulus, christine - specific characters and how to struggle with life and stuff
but when it comes to question such as love, loss of trust, etc i find it hard to anaylse.

and is there any tips to improve your expressions and structure? i dont think my expression is very good arggh

your tips on breaking down the essay question and providing an example of it was really good.

arrgghh im still procrastinating - needa get back to studying!!

joechan521

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2007, 01:13:04 pm »
pepsi i found it hard to write essays too, now im just looking at more topics and do a plan for each, it gives me some ideas on what to write for each.    and just to remind everyone only 4 days left
06 method47 chinese 2nd language advanced39
07 english39 specailist44 accounting44 further48 psychology35
07 ENTER 99.15

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2007, 01:16:12 pm »
Quote from: "joechan521"
pepsi i found it hard to write essays too, now im just looking at more topics and do a plan for each, it gives me some ideas on what to write for each.    and just to remind everyone only 4 days left

Oh thanks.. *gulp*  :(
Mandark: Please, oh please, set me up on a date with that golden-haired angel who graces our undeserving school with her infinite beauty!

The collage of ideas. The music of reason. The poetry of thought. The canvas of logic.

melanie.dee

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2007, 01:23:58 pm »
gar 4 days :( i still havnt managed to finish a single text essay :cry:

choc_bananas

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2007, 01:26:22 pm »
Quote from: "pepsi"
I find it hard to do part 2 essays. I know a lot about the characters and such, but when it come to theme, i find it hard to elaborate and write:(

lol. im the opposite! I can write a very complex essay discussing themes/issues/attitudes but when it comes to characterization and such I find it difficult to discuss the text in a perceptive way - when i try to add complexity i get scared that im venturing into part 2 territory!

and is there any tips to improve your expressions and structure? i dont think my expression is very good arggh

At this point you should be trying to stick with your own 'style'. If you focus too much on your expression now you may just stress yourself out. Your writing style should be developed by this point, if you try to change it now your writing might suffer.

all i can say is don't make generalizations and don't simply tell the plot. Make sure you have evidence and only use words that you feel comfortable with.

keep your structure logical. Remember you are making an argument so your structure should develop your contention in a clear and logical manner.

conclude strongly but don't simply restate your contention/arguments. Try to finish with a perceptive statement about the text that summaries your contention.

arrgghh im still procrastinating - needa get back to studying!!

lol. me too! OMG 4 DAYS!
b]History is the only laboratory we have in which to test the consequences of thought.[/b]
 - Etienne Gilson

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2007, 01:27:06 pm »
Why not? Not enough conviction?

Edit: Someone posted above me, this is to mel
Mandark: Please, oh please, set me up on a date with that golden-haired angel who graces our undeserving school with her infinite beauty!

The collage of ideas. The music of reason. The poetry of thought. The canvas of logic.

choc_bananas

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2007, 01:29:26 pm »
Quote from: "melanie.dee"
gar 4 days :( i still havnt managed to finish a single text essay :cry:

i'm the same! I can't bring myself to finish writing! I always decide i will go revise the text more/learn more quotes.
b]History is the only laboratory we have in which to test the consequences of thought.[/b]
 - Etienne Gilson

melanie.dee

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2007, 01:32:15 pm »
i dont knoww, my writing just isn't flowing very well at the moment, and i cant seem to get out what i want to say very well :( not a good time to be stuck in a severe rut, i know. im having severe issues finding the right words and expression for what i want to say! gar i used to be so good at this, it used to flow so easily. what happened :cry: im hoping the pressure of the actual exam will force me to get it done, but what if it doesnt?

BA22

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2007, 01:35:16 pm »
i dont knoww, my writing just isn't flowing very well at the moment, and i cant seem to get out what i want to say very well :( not a good time to be stuck in a severe rut, i know. im having severe issues finding the right words and expression for what i want to say! gar i used to be so good at this, it used to flow so easily. what happened :cry: im hoping the pressure of the actual exam will force me to get it done, but what if it doesnt?

do you have a friend on msn now doing english?

Something i've gotten people to do is respond to stimulus material i've given them and start from there, therefore you become actively aware of the thought process required to begin an essay

choc_bananas

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2007, 01:36:01 pm »
im hoping the pressure of the actual exam will force me to get it done, but what if it doesnt?

it will. :-)

You will write non-stop for 3 hours and it will seem like 15 minutes. You will walk out and struggle to understand why you what you were so scared about. The whole thing will seem of little significance once its done.

as long as u are prepared there is nothing else u can do but try ur best. A little bit of stress is good for motivation but too much is counterproductive. Try to be confident as it will show in your writing. :-)

and dont forget - everyone is in the same boat!
 - Etienne Gilson

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2007, 01:38:44 pm »

Fear during the exam forces everyone to write, even people who can barely write at all...

Maybe you're trying to use sophisticated language rather than what's natural to you?

melanie.dee

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2007, 01:53:30 pm »
i dont know, i think im writing in my natural style, it just that nothing seems to be coming to me at the moment. oh dear. i suppose id be better off getting my ideas organised and making sure i thoroughly know my texts and ideas, and hope that the inspiration comes together on friday. and if not :?

iv just attacked a friend on msn to talk about english hahaha. maybe this will work.

i might post my semi finished horrible language analysis in another thread and get some opinions on how bad it really is haha.