Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 04:52:28 pm

Author Topic: How did you go?  (Read 2516 times)  Share 

collundo

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
How did you go?
« on: November 14, 2008, 07:18:17 pm »
Thought it was fairly easy.

A few dodgy questions such as the scale on your local resource

I know I made a few mistakes, hopefully doesn't cost me too much.
2008: Geography [44]
2009: English [43] Economics [42] Media [50] French [31] Maths Methods [28]
Enter: 98.65

Trent

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Re: How did you go?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 07:42:29 pm »
I thought it was very, very easy.
The only thing I think i messed up was not saying the developed countries on the population scale thing were clustered.

Other than that I think I aced it.
2008: Geography [42] Revolutions [38]
2009: English [40] Literature [38] Psychology [36] International Studies [33]
ENTER: 93.75

nickalaz

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 07:53:15 pm »
yeah what did you put for scale/distance?

fairly predictable exam.

confident on my population and global fishing responses.

very iffy over my 4mark response to that MDB question.. where it gave u 6 different things, i got tripped up.

im pretty happy with my data analysis.

with the population data analysis, what did you put? i put there was a strong correlation b/w countries with high infant mortality - high fertility rates, and low infant/low fertility... not sure if thats what they wanted to hear though.

and the first page? where u had to describe the association between population/total % of runoff or something?
that threw me, cause the dense populations.. melb,sydney etc were in the section that was "10.9%" which was pretty middle of the road rather than really high or really low...

pretty happy with how i went. what i get i've got no idea at all.. just preferably 35+

collundo

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 08:11:33 pm »
yeah what did you put for scale/distance?

with the population data analysis, what did you put? i put there was a strong correlation b/w countries with high infant mortality - high fertility rates, and low infant/low fertility... not sure if thats what they wanted to hear though.

and the first page? where u had to describe the association between population/total % of runoff or something?
that threw me, cause the dense populations.. melb,sydney etc were in the section that was "10.9%" which was pretty middle of the road rather than really high or really low...
For scale, I put my resource is at a local scale, provides for local community etc.
For distance I gave a relative location of my resource from the melbourne cbd

population I did the same as you

and associations I said that area densely populated - over 10 persons per km2 were spatially associated with areas of runoff over 10%
But there were a fuckload of exceptions, don't think I'll get many marks there
Most of the high runoffs were on the coastline, don;t know how you can tie that in though
2008: Geography [44]
2009: English [43] Economics [42] Media [50] French [31] Maths Methods [28]
Enter: 98.65

nickalaz

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 08:31:55 pm »
what did you put for that MDB question?
I basically ran out of time, and had to write without thinking, as it was the last question i did.

What i tried to say was that "THE CAP" was used in relation to 'reduced allocation rights' or whatever it was... explained the cap, related it to allocation and diversions, then i think talked about how it is effective at 'managing water in the MDB' (i think thats what the question was)
The specific location i chose was the Shepparton Irrigation Region, so i kinda said a bit about that, but i was fairly lost.

reckon i'll get any marks?

wrote so much for the 4 mark questions... went way over most of the lines

ben4386

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 08:48:04 pm »
ne1 get a spare copy of the exam? or know what the specific question was? id be interested to know, was it harder than last years?

nickalaz

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 08:52:58 pm »
don't have a spare exam, but the MDB had 1 page on data...
and another page with a 4 mark question i cant really remember what it was asking, but it gave you 6 options, and you had to chose one of them, and explain how water was being managed at a specific location in the MDB
it included:
- reduced water allocation rights
- guaranteed environmental flows
- more efficient irrigation
- compulsary purchase of water rights
and i forget the rest.

the 5 mark question basically said.. describe a specific conflict in the basin

christianeldred

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 12:00:04 am »
i think i screwed up the very last question of the exam. Evaluating a response to a positive impact on people or a negative impact on the environment with reguard to global warming is alot harder than a negative impact on people.

Chihiro

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 12:19:45 am »
hey I think I went pretty well, fingers crossed 40.

One thing I'm worried with is that I used the same thing for those 2 MDB questions which were one after the other. It didnt say you couldnt do that though so I think I'd be okayy hopefully

If anyone has a copy of the exam, which im highly doubting, could they please post up. Just want to make sure I answered questions correctly..
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 12:22:10 am by Chihiro »

ben4386

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 12:48:25 am »
One thing I'm worried with is that I used the same thing for those 2 MDB questions which were one after the other. It didnt say you couldnt do that though so I think I'd be okayy hopefully

lol i did the exact same thing last year in the MDB bit and it was fine and got me the marks, dont worry at all

theduck

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 10:24:32 am »
In the question about if rice and fruit growing was sustainable i answered that it was unsustainable because of low rainfall and that irrigation is hard because of how far it is from a region that recives high rainfall, but then after the exam I thought about merindee lakes as a source of irragtion water and now am a tad worried , what did everyone else put?

nickalaz

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 10:44:56 am »
i said unsustainable, cause they use flood irrigation to grow rice and it takes ALOT of water, and their average rainfall over 2000-2007 was far lower than most other regions

what was the characteristic of the MDB that made it unique? that threw me a bit too, cause there was nothing to compare it to.

I said that has extremely variable levels of rainfall, and talked about how theres a largeish amount along the east near the GDR, but barely any towards the centre of aus, the west of the MDB

Jelly

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 10:47:38 am »
I thought it was very, very easy.
The only thing I think i messed up was not saying the developed countries on the population scale thing were clustered.

Other than that I think I aced it.

baaaaaahahahahaha how could you miss that association.

your all hacks on this site, the best guy here didnt even sit the exam this year.

nickalaz

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 11:03:29 am »
well he did get 50....

i tried my best. guess we'll see what score i get come december 15 - wouldn't have a clue right now

theduck

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 12:18:50 pm »
i said unsustainable, cause they use flood irrigation to grow rice and it takes ALOT of water, and their average rainfall over 2000-2007 was far lower than most other regions

what was the characteristic of the MDB that made it unique? that threw me a bit too, cause there was nothing to compare it to.

I said that has extremely variable levels of rainfall, and talked about how theres a largeish amount along the east near the GDR, but barely any towards the centre of aus, the west of the MDB

I said the variety of land uses in that it has such a variety that no other region in Aus can match it.