Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 04:19:52 pm

Author Topic: Economics 09  (Read 8835 times)  Share 

khalil

Re: Economics 09
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2008, 11:14:44 pm »
What economics events should i be focussing in the media?

khalil

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2008, 11:22:02 pm »
are you sure the title is everyday economics? I cant find it in melb uni library

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2008, 01:07:13 am »
He said something like: "The Undercover Economist" will introduce you to 'everyday economics'

The title is: The Undercover Economist.

AppleXY

• Life cannot be Delta Hedged.
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Even when the bears bite, confidence never dies.
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2008, 01:41:55 am »
What economics events should i be focussing in the media?

in my personal opinion you should pay attention to:

- Cash Rates
- TWI
- Budget Spending
- Budget Stance
- Inflation
- Supply Side Constraints
:)

2009 - BBus (Econometrics/Economics&Fin) @ Monash

For Email: click here

Need a question answered? Merspi it!

[quote="Benjamin F

khalil

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2008, 03:33:32 pm »
thanks guys

mtwtfss

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2008, 08:29:12 pm »
Could any past economics students, (regardless of how well you ended up scoring) offer myself and other economics students for 2009 any general advice and tips to gun eco in '09.

Note taking tips.
Resources tips.
Anything in general =]
What did you do wrong which you would fix if you could have your time again?

Thankyou in advance.

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2008, 11:48:23 pm »
Could any past economics students, (regardless of how well you ended up scoring) offer myself and other economics students for 2009 any general advice and tips to gun eco in '09.

Note taking tips.
Resources tips.
Anything in general =]

Thankyou in advance.

I like that... an appreciation 4 the fact that SS doesn't always reflect ability in a subject.

In-semester stuff 4 microeconomics this semester, I'm pretty sure I was overall top out of every1 (definitely top for mid-semester out of published results).
However.. I didn't do so well in the exam... still finished in top 10% of cohort and with a HD, but not as high a score as I wanted.

That said, my miceco tutor thought I was absolutely amazing, and got me 2 explain things all the time bcoz of my unique way of thinking, learning and teaching.
I reckon it's the random-ness... thoughts that head off in a tangent can give u the best epiphanies sometimes ;) ;D
I also think it helps 2 have so-recently learned something that u may b able 2 pick up on wot's tripping the circuit in some1's thought pattern when they're learning a new concept.

Sorry... kinda off-topic, but I was impressed with that comment. :)
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

mtwtfss

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2008, 12:04:31 am »
:) thankyou. Most subjects,specifically economics require an in depth knowledge and understanding, rather than rote learning text responses, to be truly succesful. I would know... This year in economics at MHS I was able to lead class discussions,present new ideas and thoughts succesfully....(our teacher encouraged open economic debate in class over textbook readings etc.) and I think through this I've actually further understood economics to gear me up for the future, in or out of the classroom itself. I didn't get the best unit 2 exam score (b+... Not that it matters at all.. It's unit 2 for gods sake)  partly due to the fact that it was held the day after my year twelve subject, but mostly because we participated in open discussions superior to the text, the best form if learning, I believe. Having said that I'm confident of getting low fourtiea next year,time will tell...

AppleXY

• Life cannot be Delta Hedged.
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Even when the bears bite, confidence never dies.
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2008, 12:21:57 pm »

Note taking tips.
Resources tips.
Anything in general =]

Thankyou in advance.

I like that... an appreciation 4 the fact that SS doesn't always reflect ability in a subject.

In-semester stuff 4 microeconomics this semester, I'm pretty sure I was overall top out of every1 (definitely top for mid-semester out of published results).
However.. I didn't do so well in the exam... still finished in top 10% of cohort and with a HD, but not as high a score as I wanted.

That said, my miceco tutor thought I was absolutely amazing, and got me 2 explain things all the time bcoz of my unique way of thinking, learning and teaching.
I reckon it's the random-ness... thoughts that head off in a tangent can give u the best epiphanies sometimes ;) ;D
I also think it helps 2 have so-recently learned something that u may b able 2 pick up on wot's tripping the circuit in some1's thought pattern when they're learning a new concept.

Sorry... kinda off-topic, but I was impressed with that comment. :)

Precisely, Costa and I got 33 for economics, however we both loved the subject. I was expecting A+ for the exam! :( And costa got the PwC HD medal for economics, you can't get better than that.

2009 - BBus (Econometrics/Economics&Fin) @ Monash

For Email: click here

Need a question answered? Merspi it!

[quote="Benjamin F

mtwtfss

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2008, 12:50:02 pm »
I'm sure you'll both make fine economist one day, if you choose to do so.

applekid

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2008, 07:06:14 pm »
i did economics this year and got a pretty good score (47) (with not too much effort, to be honest embarassingly enough) and i would say the key thing is to think through everything clearly and logically. economics largely is common sense I would argue, and if you approach every analytical problem (vs. definitional) from a very basic D&S angle, everything will work itself out, and it isn't imperative to rote learn everything (but do rote learn stuff like the definition of all the economic objectives etc). with analysis questions, there is no way you can not know an answer as even if you can't give the 'correct' one, as long as you can prove your point theoretically, there is definitely value in that. so really, strip it down to the basics and the entire subject is easy as pie.

in terms of recent things/news, it is probably best (though definitely NOT necessary) to focus mainly during the march period (as this is when the exam was written), and the period preceding the exam (shows good knowledge and a maintenance of current conditions). only remember things that you find easy to remember, and don't think it's necessary to remember shitloads of stats. the key ones throughout the year will put you in good stead.

most of all, i hope you have chosen economics because you enjoy it, that can only be of benefit to you, as everything will come very easy to you.
hope that helped

EDIT: oh i forgot, i found the Salla CPAP guides very useful, but I didn't use any one text as a complete and utter guide. I found the text book (Economics down under) heinous.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 08:03:43 pm by applekid »

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2008, 09:42:31 pm »
i did economics this year and got a pretty good score (47) (with not too much effort, to be honest embarassingly enough) and i would say the key thing is to think through everything clearly and logically. economics largely is common sense I would argue, and if you approach every analytical problem (vs. definitional) from a very basic D&S angle, everything will work itself out, and it isn't imperative to rote learn everything (but do rote learn stuff like the definition of all the economic objectives etc). with analysis questions, there is no way you can not know an answer as even if you can't give the 'correct' one, as long as you can prove your point theoretically, there is definitely value in that. so really, strip it down to the basics and the entire subject is easy as pie.

in terms of recent things/news, it is probably best (though definitely NOT necessary) to focus mainly during the march period (as this is when the exam was written), and the period preceding the exam (shows good knowledge and a maintenance of current conditions). only remember things that you find easy to remember, and don't think it's necessary to remember shitloads of stats. the key ones throughout the year will put you in good stead.

most of all, i hope you have chosen economics because you enjoy it, that can only be of benefit to you, as everything will come very easy to you.
hope that helped

EDIT: oh i forgot, i found the Salla CPAP guides very useful, but I didn't use any one text as a complete and utter guide. I found the text book (Economics down under) heinous.

Well said. Microeconomics lays the foundations to macroeconomics. Know your D&S.

lalala

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2008, 10:10:57 pm »
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 12:13:45 am by lalala »

mtwtfss

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2008, 11:46:44 pm »
From what i've seen so far, it looks very similar and all very familiar which is good!...not that i've completed the course though.

ReVeL

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2008, 09:57:40 pm »
Is Eco 3/4 way harder than Eco 1/2? Coz I've been hearing that it is.

I definately didn't find this - the first part is basic Unit 1 stuff, using Demand & Supply.

Then you go on to cover Budgetary, Monetary and Microeconomic policies. Alot of it overlaps from 1/2 stuff.

If you've got a good grip on units 1/2, then you shouldn't have too much trouble with 3/4 IMO.
||  2008 VCE Graduate  ||  BCom @ UoM [Accounting & Finance Majors] - Completing 3rd year  ||