Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 06:23:43 pm

Author Topic: Japanese SL 2009?  (Read 2897 times)  Share 

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
  • Respect: +20
Japanese SL 2009?
« on: January 02, 2009, 05:33:52 pm »
日本語を勉強している人はいるの? How many people are doing Japanese 3/4 this year? I think I'm going to get myself owned.

moshi

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
Re: Japanese SL 2009?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 06:06:21 pm »
me... it's going to be tough!

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 08:22:13 pm »
日本語は難しそうね。。。大丈夫かなぁ~
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 09:27:19 am by SmRandmAzn »

Hielly

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 09:25:07 pm »
Hey SmRandmAzn, you started Japanese in year 9  or 10 right? How was it?
I started a different language at the same yr level as you, and dropped it cos i know if i continued i had to put 100% into it and lose focus for my other subjects

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 09:52:42 pm »
I don't think I'm at any disadvantage to those who studied in year 7 and 8 at my school, but I really can't tell how I fare against other schools. From what I hear Macrob did the book I started in year 10 at year 9, and the book I started in year 11 in year 10, because they don't allow beginners to start a language.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 09:27:50 am by SmRandmAzn »

mystikal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 10:00:36 pm »
Good Luck. . . i did japanese 3/4 in 08 when i was year 11  :P. . .. didnt get the best score but did ok because of scaling. Dont worry about it much the subject almost gurantees you a high 30's-low 40's if you put a little effort. If i could do jap 3/4 when i was yr 11 and have no jap background or experience the only experience i have are eating at sushi bars that are run by chinese people lols and i still manage a mid 40's scaled then i reckon most of you guys can do better. So yea dont worry about it much.

My advice would be... get into japanese culture because sometimes in the japanese exams they put in current issues of japan. Also for the oral part dont be nervous just makes your performance worse, the examiners are really kind and they are there to give you the most possible marks as long as you can provide them the goods. O yea if you want some of my notes for japanese just pm me. O yea i forgot buy the leading edge exam practice exam book even though it says 2005-2008 they have extended the same study design to 2011 and in one the actually practice exams there was a topic that was on the actual 2008 exam!!! Ive got a copy that is practically brand new no pencil marks since i did my answers on looseleaf.

O yea heres a handy tip start writing a journal of your day in japanese everyday until the japanese exam because one of the topics(style) you have to write in is a journal. You can add new grammer and voab once in a while also it is a calming experience, at first might be slow but as time progresses you get faster which is what you want so that you can write fast in the exam.

O wells good luck
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 04:59:53 pm by mystikal »

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 10:14:36 pm »
Aw I just bought Leading Edge...those things are super expensive

I've looked through a few of the past exams, and the hardest thing for me was listening and answering in Japanese. Do you think it's better to write in Japanese straight away or English and translate? I seriously can't write Japanese fast enough to keep up with the tape.

On Japanese culture, I'm think I'm overexposed. I spend excessive amounts of time watching Japanese dramas with time I could've spent studying. I also listen to Japanesepod101 to practice my listening, and use a flash card program called anki (http://www.ichi2.net/anki/) for vocab.

I'm still pretty scared for the oral though...Even my English orals are bad. Does the examiner care much if my pronunciation is a bit off? I know Japanese is supposed to be easy to pronounce but when i speak it sounds so FOB...

Also, do you think it's a good idea for me to attempt the JLPT as well to help study for VCE? or is that just a waste of time?

mystikal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 10:44:18 pm »
LoLs i had the exact same problem i couldnt keep up with the tape. However before the tape started i would often find keywords from the questions and write them down in the notes section and use arrows to rrelate to the information. I write in english during the times because i could do it faster, however if there is a japanese word i dont know i write in japanese. Also when you are looking for keywords in questions look up the words in the dictionary if your not sure. O yea have a good exposure to Japanese People's Names. . .that is one of most confusing things that got students this year, some people heard 'Yu' some people heard 'U' you cant really tell for names.

For podcasts i did listen to some Japanesepod101 and it seems to be a good choice just hand select the ones you would find interesting or worth listening too since they do both basics and advance. Choose the advance, dont let the name fool you lols its that advance its around our level and the good thing is that it goes slow the second time and they translate every sentence.

For Japanese drama i recommend watching those with a school element for example my boss my hero, GTO, gokusen . . . etc. The reason i say school element because they use easier japanese and they are funny plus they usually have issues that circle around your life as well so it enables you to further understand the situation.

For JLPT study the level 3 section because it resembles the VCE course, but with one or two more kanji/vocab/grammer. If you can do well in JLPT3 you can do good in VCE Japanese. O yea take the JLPT exam at the end of the year level 3 and you can add that to your resume if you pass it.

For Oral dont worry about it much, they understand if you sound FOB its called Japanese Second Language afterall even some of the examiners sounded FOB. For extra marks pronounciation is a necessity that divides that those who are sloppy or those who are accurate. Talk to your jap teacher often for practise.

Good Luck anymore questions just PM me

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 11:04:23 pm »
My friend also started Japanese in year 9, but was way better than me so he decided to do 3/4 Japanese in year 11. He got 42 raw, a score he's not happy with so he's repeating it next year along with University Japanese. I presume he'll get very high next year...

lol, Danny Con?
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 11:26:00 pm »
My friend also started Japanese in year 9, but was way better than me so he decided to do 3/4 Japanese in year 11. He got 42 raw, a score he's not happy with so he's repeating it next year along with University Japanese. I presume he'll get very high next year...

lol, Danny Con?

lol I put too much info.

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 11:32:20 pm »

lol, Danny Con?

lol I put too much info.

Bwahahahahahahahahaha.  Too late.
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 11:35:39 pm »
Wasn't thinking anyone would actually guess...What are the odds...

SiN

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 09:07:55 pm »
well my parents stuck me over in japan for a year last
so now im doing yr 12 japanese in yr11
and i also did level 3 JLPT and got around 70%
but coz i just went to a normal school there and didnt get any special classes
my grammar still suck from 2 years levels worth of teaching dispite my JLPT score>.<
2009: Japanese SL 41 raw
2010: Accounting
        English Language
        Further Mathematics
        Math Methods
        MUES Japanese
ENTER: hopefully 95+
2011: hopefully Monash Commerce/Arts