Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 31, 2024, 01:34:25 am

Author Topic: Yacoubb's Bio 3+4 Questions  (Read 78158 times)  Share 

Yacoubb

Yacoubb's Bio 3+4 Questions
« on: January 18, 2013, 02:55:39 am »
Hey :) I'd like to share some definitions I have + please tell me how my expression is :)

Homeostasis: the homeostatic maintenance of a relatively stable internal environment maintained within narrow ranges despite fluctuating conditions of an organism's external environment.

I'll be posting more + I'd appreciate it if you could tell me how good the definitions are :)

LOLs99

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +7
Re: Yacoubb's Bio 3+4 Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 03:01:20 am »
Does the definition have to be that long?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 03:02:53 am by wenhao »
2014-2016: 

2017-2018: Master of Engineering

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 03:05:24 am »
Regarding your definition:

Pros: Mentions 'narrow limits', partial independence from the external environment.

Cons: Uses the word that's being defined in the definition; 'fluctuating conditions' bit could be worded better.

If I were to rewrite this definition:

"Homeostasis: the maintenance of a stable internal environment of an organism, maintained within narrow ranges regardless of changes in the external environment in which the organism exists".
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

Biceps

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 03:56:05 am »
I would shorten the definition as much as possible to eliminate room for assessors owning you. Ideal answer would be:
Homeostasis: The maintenance of a stable internal environment within narrow limits despite the effect of various stimuli.
Google definition was also very simple: "The tendency toward a relatively stable equilibrium between interdependent elements"
2011: Arabic [31] IT Applications [36]
2012: english[28] Chemistry[31] methods[39] Spesh [35] Biology:[42]

ATAR 2012: 92.90

2013-2016: BSc at UoM

awesomejames

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 09:49:46 am »
+2
One thing to note everyone doing biology:

When writing down definitions NEVER ever use and repeat any derivative of the word in the definition. This shows the examiner that one you don't really understand the word or a different word that can describe it and two you aren't really describing the word.

Yacoubb

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 09:56:17 am »
One thing to note everyone doing biology:

When writing down definitions NEVER ever use and repeat any derivative of the word in the definition. This shows the examiner that one you don't really understand the word or a different word that can describe it and two you aren't really describing the word.

Hey that was a bit dumb because I initially wrote down 3 definitions for you guys to check and I must have done it wrong because I did this at 3 in the morning lol

New definition:

Enzyme: a protein catalyst that increases the speed of chemical reactions by lowering the activation energy required; they are not consumed by reactions they catalyse.

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 11:47:11 am »
That definition seems acceptable - you may want to include this though:
- "Lock-and-key" aspect: a particular enzyme only acts as a catalyst for one specific molecule.
- The reaction occurs on the surface of the active site of the enzyme.

I'm not sure if this is necessary; I think I'm just being picky. :P
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 12:16:07 pm »
Enzyme: a protein catalyst that increases the speed of chemical reactions by lowering the activation energy required; they are not consumed by reactions they catalyse.

I wouldn't say 'the speed of chemical reactions' - rather say 'the rate of chemical reactions'. Assessors strongly consider the use of proper scientific language when marking.

Also, consider mentioning that each enzyme is specific to only one substrate (assessors love it if you use the word 'specificity' correctly). :)
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

Yacoubb

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 03:10:58 pm »
I wouldn't say 'the speed of chemical reactions' - rather say 'the rate of chemical reactions'. Assessors strongly consider the use of proper scientific language when marking.

Also, consider mentioning that each enzyme is specific to only one substrate (assessors love it if you use the word 'specificity' correctly). :)

I think the depth of my answer will ultimaty depend on the bumber of lines on an exam/SAC. The thing is, I'd mention my definition for a 2line answer whereas a 4 line question (i.e. 4 lines to write on), I would mention the following
* an organic, protein catalyst
* increases rate of chemical reactions by lowering activation energy
* the tertiary structure of the enzyme is critical to its specific function as the shape of the active site is specifically complementary to its substrate!

^ I think that would be satisfactory for an in depth answer they may very-well ask.

Yacoubb

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 03:12:26 pm »
That definition seems acceptable - you may want to include this though:
- "Lock-and-key" aspect: a particular enzyme only acts as a catalyst for one specific molecule.
- The reaction occurs on the surface of the active site of the enzyme.

I'm not sure if this is necessary; I think I'm just being picky. :P

I was just mentioning that the depth of my answer would be dependent upon the space provided by VCAA on the exam paper.

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 03:21:13 pm »
I think the depth of my answer will ultimaty depend on the bumber of lines on an exam/SAC. The thing is, I'd mention my definition for a 2line answer whereas a 4 line question (i.e. 4 lines to write on), I would mention the following
* an organic, protein catalyst
* increases rate of chemical reactions by lowering activation energy
* the tertiary structure of the enzyme is critical to its specific function as the shape of the active site is specifically complementary to its substrate!

^ I think that would be satisfactory for an in depth answer they may very-well ask.

More importantly, look at the number of marks!

But I think that definition is good.
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

Yacoubb

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 03:28:37 pm »
More importantly, look at the number of marks!

But I think that definition is good.

My strategy of how deep to delve into an answer is determined by number of lines in addition to the allocation of marks. Thank you for the tip though :)

awesomejames

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 05:35:05 pm »
Hey that was a bit dumb because I initially wrote down 3 definitions for you guys to check and I must have done it wrong because I did this at 3 in the morning lol

New definition:

Just trying to help bud.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 07:00:23 pm »
Enzymes don't have to be proteins...

I would say "macromolecules" instead of proteins in my definition.

Yacoubb

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 09:07:53 pm »
Just trying to help bud.

Hey just want to mention that I was saying what I did was dumb; not you!! Sorry for the misunderstanding!