Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 10:11:23 pm

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 475517 times)  Share 

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #1020 on: January 05, 2018, 08:35:57 pm »
+3
Don't even do psych, but...
Is there a way that police could easily test a driver's sleep levels to determine if they were driving while unsafely fatigued? Like is there a certain molecule whose levels could be tested? And would fatigue vary significantly between individuals despite similar levels of such a molecule?
As far as I know..

Easily - definitly not (or they would be doing it)

Increased melatonin is generally associated with increased sleepiness, but I don’t know if there being any way to test it, and I suspect different amounts would affect people differently.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #1021 on: January 06, 2018, 01:17:32 pm »
+3
Is there a way that police could easily test a driver's sleep levels to determine if they were driving while unsafely fatigued? Like is there a certain molecule whose levels could be tested? And would fatigue vary significantly between individuals despite similar levels of such a molecule?

I remember reading an article about a molecule last year (not melatonin) that shows correlation with tiredness but research was only in the early stages and other factors may impact its levels too much.

At the moment I do not believe there is an easy, valid, and reliable method they could use

lovelyperson

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #1022 on: January 06, 2018, 01:35:52 pm »
+4

Believe the molecule is adenosine. It's produced throughout the day with brain activity and binds to your brain receptors to make you feel groggy. Melatonin could also be measured, but it's a bit iffy since melatonin's role is to tell the body what time of the day it is so there isn't a direct correlation to fatigue.

jungkookie

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1023 on: January 14, 2018, 05:16:07 pm »
Can someone please help me with the kristy kendall VCE Psychology Research Methods Key Science Skills Workbook?
I am taking units 3 and 4 with out 1 and 2. So I'm very stressed.
any help will be glady appreaciated.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #1024 on: January 14, 2018, 07:39:10 pm »
+2
Can someone please help me with the kristy kendall VCE Psychology Research Methods Key Science Skills Workbook?
I am taking units 3 and 4 with out 1 and 2. So I'm very stressed.
any help will be glady appreaciated.

I don't know whats in the workbook but if there's a concept or question you need help with feel free to ask and you'll be helped :)

I wouldn't stress too much about not having done 1&2 - the only really important thing you missed is research methods & ethics and you'll have the opportunity to learn and practice that this year

Dr. Nick

• Trailblazer
  • Hi everybody!
« Reply #1025 on: January 23, 2018, 11:15:31 pm »
Can someone help with the question:
The synaptic gap if one of the three components of the synapse, name the other two:

I answered postsynaptic and presynaptic neuron... but Idk if thats right :/

lovelyperson

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1026 on: January 23, 2018, 11:17:30 pm »
+1
Can someone help with the question:
The synaptic gap if one of the three components of the synapse, name the other two:

I answered postsynaptic and presynaptic neuron... but Idk if thats right :/

Almost right, just be more specific. What part of the postsynaptic/presynaptic neuron?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 01:42:46 pm by lovelyperson »

Dr. Nick

• Trailblazer
  • Hi everybody!
« Reply #1027 on: January 23, 2018, 11:54:25 pm »
Oh okay hahha, would it be the axon terminals of the presynpatic neuron and the dendrites of the post synaptic neuron? I didn't actually realise that they classified as being part of the synapse

lovelyperson

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1028 on: January 24, 2018, 07:41:39 am »
+2
Oh okay hahha, would it be the axon terminals of the presynpatic neuron and the dendrites of the post synaptic neuron? I didn't actually realise that they classified as being part of the synapse

Yup, that's correct! And yeah, easy way to remember it is that the synapse is the point of communication between two neurons, so it wouldn't make sense to say the entire neuron is part of the synapse.

Dr. Nick

• Trailblazer
  • Hi everybody!
« Reply #1029 on: January 24, 2018, 08:29:48 am »
Yup, that's correct! And yeah, easy way to remember it is that the synapse is the point of communication between two neurons, so it wouldn't make sense to say the entire neuron is part of the synapse.

Thanks a lot!  :)

Dr. Nick

• Trailblazer
  • Hi everybody!
« Reply #1030 on: January 24, 2018, 10:15:21 pm »
the question:
explain why some responses increase and others decrease when someone is in a state of arousal. is worth 3 marks,

my answer was
 the activation of the sympathetic nervous system allows the body to better prepare for heightened arousal
because it physically prepares the body for action, by altering activity levels of internal muscles, organs and glands, this alteration may be slowing down or speeding up certain responses, depending on their importance.

I don’t think i would get the three marks in this case... could someone tell me what the three marks are allocated to?

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #1031 on: January 24, 2018, 11:03:20 pm »
+2
the question:
explain why some responses increase and others decrease when someone is in a state of arousal. is worth 3 marks,

my answer was
 the activation of the sympathetic nervous system allows the body to better prepare for heightened arousal
because it physically prepares the body for action, by altering activity levels of internal muscles, organs and glands, this alteration may be slowing down or speeding up certain responses, depending on their importance.

I don’t think i would get the three marks in this case... could someone tell me what the three marks are allocated to?

Hi! I think that your answer is a pretty good start, but some further expansion would be good for three marks. Here's my mark breakdown:
1. Activation of the sympathetic NS arouses the level of arousal through the release of cortisol and adrenaline/noradrenaline into the blood stream
2. This results in the increase in some aspects to enhance survival by prioritising important functions. For example, heart rate may increase to increase blood flow to muscles
3. This also results in the decrease in some aspects to enhance survival by 'neglecting' (there are better words, just can't think of it) some functions such as digestion so that blood flow can be prioritised to the brain, heart etc.
2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

Dr. Nick

• Trailblazer
  • Hi everybody!
« Reply #1032 on: January 25, 2018, 03:23:46 pm »
Hi! I think that your answer is a pretty good start, but some further expansion would be good for three marks. Here's my mark breakdown:
1. Activation of the sympathetic NS arouses the level of arousal through the release of cortisol and adrenaline/noradrenaline into the blood stream
2. This results in the increase in some aspects to enhance survival by prioritising important functions. For example, heart rate may increase to increase blood flow to muscles
3. This also results in the decrease in some aspects to enhance survival by 'neglecting' (there are better words, just can't think of it) some functions such as digestion so that blood flow can be prioritised to the brain, heart etc.

Thanks a lot!

I really like how you broke it down into dot points... I’m really bad at knowing what they are looking for in a response :/

Dr. Nick

• Trailblazer
  • Hi everybody!
« Reply #1033 on: January 26, 2018, 05:08:54 pm »
Sorry I keep draining this forum...

but I have so much things I wanna clarify, and this is the only place to turn

In my book emotion focused coping and problem focused coping are both classified as approach coping strategies, and avoidance coping is like a categoty on its own.

Is this correct? wouldn't emotion focussed coping be a type of avoidance?  Thanks :)

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #1034 on: January 26, 2018, 10:41:19 pm »
+1
Sorry I keep draining this forum...

but I have so much things I wanna clarify, and this is the only place to turn

In my book emotion focused coping and problem focused coping are both classified as approach coping strategies, and avoidance coping is like a categoty on its own.

Is this correct? wouldn't emotion focussed coping be a type of avoidance?  Thanks :)

No worries! Questions are the best way to understand the content (i sure asked a lot of questions haha)

I don't think that there is a definite answer to your question because there is a lot of overlap between the strategies. Last year, I personally didn't make too much of a distinction between them since they were so similar. But i'll try to figure it out for you.

I think that both emotion and problem focused coping could be classified as approach strategies because both try to deal with the 'stressor and its effects' (that's the definition from the jacaranda textbook). Therefore, problem focused coping could target the stressor whereas the emotion focused coping strategies could target the 'effects'. On the other hand, the avoidance coping strategies may be things like trying to completely avoid the stressor AND its effects. For example, someone who is stressed by homework could 1. not do the homework and 2. distract themselves from their emotions of stress by watching a movie etc.

It's really a grey area imo and probably wouldn't be tested that deeply other than a question like: Describe an problem focused coping strategy that John Smith uses in this scenario.
2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University