Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 03:28:42 pm

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 475370 times)  Share 

Dr. Nick

• Trailblazer
  • Hi everybody!
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #1035 on: January 27, 2018, 10:59:17 am »
No worries! Questions are the best way to understand the content (i sure asked a lot of questions haha)

I don't think that there is a definite answer to your question because there is a lot of overlap between the strategies. Last year, I personally didn't make too much of a distinction between them since they were so similar. But i'll try to figure it out for you.

I think that both emotion and problem focused coping could be classified as approach strategies because both try to deal with the 'stressor and its effects' (that's the definition from the jacaranda textbook). Therefore, problem focused coping could target the stressor whereas the emotion focused coping strategies could target the 'effects'. On the other hand, the avoidance coping strategies may be things like trying to completely avoid the stressor AND its effects. For example, someone who is stressed by homework could 1. not do the homework and 2. distract themselves from their emotions of stress by watching a movie etc.

It's really a grey area imo and probably wouldn't be tested that deeply other than a question like: Describe an problem focused coping strategy that John Smith uses in this scenario.

Thanks so much!

Dr. Nick

• Trailblazer
  • Hi everybody!
« Reply #1036 on: February 02, 2018, 05:35:01 pm »
Is it worth buying 2018 checkpoints if I already have 2017 checkpoints?

lovelyperson

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #1037 on: February 02, 2018, 06:27:37 pm »
+2
Is it worth buying 2018 checkpoints if I already have 2017 checkpoints?

Nah, I wouldn't. They probably just added the 2017 exam questions, and removed questions about the stuff that was taken out from the study design mid-year.

c_niloo

• Adventurer
« Reply #1038 on: February 05, 2018, 06:05:42 pm »
Need some clarification on the reflex arc.

How do the interneurons in the spinal cord know when to intercept the sensory neurons from travelling to the brain? In other words how does the CNS know when to trigger the reflex arc because pain isnt registered until the brain right?

Thanks!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #1039 on: February 05, 2018, 06:11:15 pm »
+1
Need some clarification on the reflex arc.

How do the interneurons in the spinal cord know when to intercept the sensory neurons from travelling to the brain? In other words how does the CNS know when to trigger the reflex arc because pain isnt registered until the brain right?

Thanks!

Yes, pain isn't received until the brain

As to how the interneurons know? I'm not sure (beyond the scope of the course but I would be interested if anyone has the answer)

c_niloo

• Adventurer
« Reply #1040 on: February 05, 2018, 06:29:32 pm »
So if a question asks when does the CNS initiate the reflex arc i could just answer when the receptors pick up a harmful/painful stimulus? If thats true then that means there are normal sensory receptors and pain receptors and not just one type right? I think i am overthinking this
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 06:31:22 pm by c_niloo »

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1041 on: February 05, 2018, 06:47:51 pm »
So if a question asks when does the CNS initiate the reflex arc i could just answer when the receptors pick up a harmful/painful stimulus? If thats true then that means there are normal sensory receptors and pain receptors and not just one type right? I think i am overthinking this

As you suspected, there are many different receptors, temperature, pressure etc.
However, harmful/painful might be a bit too broad - we can be pained without experiencing the spinal reflex (depending on who was marking it might also be accepted but better safe than sorry).

Answers I would consider:
 - when the spinal reflex is initiated (look at the question structure to see if this is too circular or not)
 - when receptors detect a source of possible harm that the body must be quickly removed from to minimise damage.
 - after sensory pathways have transmitted a signal from the receptors indicating a source of harm which the body should be rapidly removed from (tailored to the exact wording of your sample question)

I find it unlikely that that question would be asked

c_niloo

• Adventurer
« Reply #1042 on: February 05, 2018, 07:01:49 pm »
Thank you! +1

rani_b

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #1043 on: February 05, 2018, 08:30:07 pm »
Hi, I was doing this MC question (attached) and the answer is D. I know low GABA levels is linked to Parkinson's but I thought the main imbalance was the lack of dopamine? Could someone explain to me why the answer is D? Thanks :)
2019 ATAR: 99.85

Selling: English [50] & Lit [48] essays! PM for details.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1044 on: February 05, 2018, 08:32:21 pm »
Hi, I was doing this MC question (attached) and the answer is D. I know low GABA levels is linked to Parkinson's but I thought the main imbalance was the lack of dopamine? Could someone explain to me why the answer is D? Thanks :)

Study design changes. VCAA changed the study design halfway through last year and that set of answers is no longer relevant to you.

The correct answer would be e) lack of dopamine

rani_b

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #1045 on: February 05, 2018, 08:41:07 pm »
Study design changes. VCAA changed the study design halfway through last year and that set of answers is no longer relevant to you.

The correct answer would be e) lack of dopamine
Thank you!
2019 ATAR: 99.85

Selling: English [50] & Lit [48] essays! PM for details.

Dr. Nick

• Trailblazer
  • Hi everybody!
« Reply #1046 on: February 06, 2018, 05:17:16 pm »
How would I go about answering this question?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1047 on: February 06, 2018, 05:31:04 pm »
How would I go about answering this question?

Compare where the groups are at the start, if they are in different places then that is an EV and it should be considered.
(If I gave someone little food would you expect them to have eat the same amount later as someone who had had a lot?)

What are your thoughts at the moment?

Dr. Nick

• Trailblazer
  • Hi everybody!
« Reply #1048 on: February 06, 2018, 05:38:43 pm »
Compare where the groups are at the start, if they are in different places then that is an EV and it should be considered.
(If I gave someone little food would you expect them to have eat the same amount later as someone who had had a lot?)

What are your thoughts at the moment?

I answered a conclusion cannot be drawn, as it cannot be certain the cause of change in average weekly callorie intake occurs as a result of whether or not individuals take a hunger reducing pill, as extraneous variables such as individual participant differences (diet) may have caused the change in the average weekly calorie intake.

But my teacher said we should always look for a p-value when drawing conclusions which confused me because I don't know how to incopporate that in my answer

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #1049 on: February 06, 2018, 05:47:18 pm »
+2
I answered a conclusion cannot be drawn, as it cannot be certain the cause of change in average weekly callorie intake occurs as a result of whether or not individuals take a hunger reducing pill, as extraneous variables such as individual participant differences (diet) may have caused the change in the average weekly calorie intake.

But my teacher said we should always look for a p-value when drawing conclusions which confused me because I don't know how to incopporate that in my answer
Apparently the p-value and statistical significance are not included on the new study design, so your teacher is not teaching you updated information.
In the old study design, you would incorporate the p-value into your answer by saying something like "as the p-value was found to be less than 0.05 (meaning that the possibility that the DV was caused by values other than the IV was less than 5/100), the results can be determined to be statistically significant and therefore a conclusion can be drawn [and a generalisation can be made to the population]".
My memory is a little scratchy but that was the gist of it.
In any case, the question actually needs to state the p-value if you are to refer to it. From what I can see, this question does not. If it does, it must be an outdated question.

Good luck!
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?