Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 04:57:30 pm

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 475414 times)  Share 

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +29
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #1185 on: September 26, 2018, 12:00:30 pm »
+3
I have a question regarding the effect of individual participant related differences. Whats the best way to discuss their effect?

For example a researcher used an all female sample, for the study of the memory ability of the population: students.
Do you say: 'The use of an all-female sample is considered an extraneous (and potential confounding) variable because the results of the participants are unrepresentative of the characteristics of the population (students), this therefore compromises the external validity of the experiment as the findings cannot be accurately generalised to the population of research interest. ' or do you say: 'Having an all-female sample can be considered an extraneous (and potential confounding) variable because this characteristic may influence the results, as the cause of change in the dependent variable (memory abilities of the participants), may be due to the fact that they are female, and not due to the effect of the independent variable, this therefore reduces the internal validity of the experiment, as this characteristic could potentially have had an effect on the dependent variable.'

I don't think that it necessarily acts as an extraneous/confounding variable if you're just observing the population's memory size. So really, the female sample would only reduce the external validity because the sample is not representative of the population, due to no males being part of the study.

It would only be a confounding/extraneous variable if you say had two groups, one female and one male group. The male group would be a control for memory ability and the female group would be experimental (e.g. take caffiene to see its memory effects. This would likely affect results since you're changing both sex and condition between the groups.

I tended to understand individual participant differences as in just the variation within a population. For example, some people are naturally faster runners than other people, or some people just tend to have better memory than others. The only real way to fix it is to get a larger sample size/matched participants study design

Hope that made sense :)
2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #1186 on: September 26, 2018, 12:08:55 pm »
+3
Alright, great. Thank you!! is the HPA axis involved in both biological models --or is it more involved in the GAS than the f-f-f model ?

Consider HPA and FFF separately, and make sure you know how cortisol is involved in each stage of the GAS

I have a question regarding the effect of individual participant related differences. Whats the best way to discuss their effect?

For example a researcher used an all female sample, for the study of the memory ability of the population: students.
Do you say: 'The use of an all-female sample is considered an extraneous (and potential confounding) variable because the results of the participants are unrepresentative of the characteristics of the population (students), this therefore compromises the external validity of the experiment as the findings cannot be accurately generalised to the population of research interest. ' or do you say: 'Having an all-female sample can be considered an extraneous (and potential confounding) variable because this characteristic may influence the results, as the cause of change in the dependent variable (memory abilities of the participants), may be due to the fact that they are female, and not due to the effect of the independent variable, this therefore reduces the internal validity of the experiment, as this characteristic could potentially have had an effect on the dependent variable.'

I would say "the sample being all-female means that findings cannot be generalised to the general population, due to the sample being unrepresentative in regards to gender/sex. If participants who were not female were included in the sample, they may have responded differently to the independent variable (    ) and therefore different results for the dependent variable (memory abilities of the patients) may have been observed. Therefore, the external validity of the experiment has been compromised in relation to the sample of interest."

Well, I probably wouldn't say quite that much unless there were at least 3 marks up for grabs. I get your point in regards to your second option, but refferring to the gender as being an extraneous variable is a bit iffy in this case.
Definitely go with external validity when you're talking about generalisation

studyingg

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #1187 on: September 27, 2018, 11:28:15 am »
1. Which branch of the autonomic nervous system is dominant when an individual is adapting to a stressor, according to the General adaptation syndrome?
-I said:
Initially, the sympathetic nervous system is dominant during the countershock substage of the first stage of the model,  alarm reaction, as during countershock an individual's resistance rises above normal levels due to the increased release of adrenaline, noradrenaline and cortisol caused by the dominance of the sympathetic nervous system. In the second stage, resistance, whereby the individual's resistance to a stressor is above normal levels, however their level of arousal is lower (relative to countershock) thus, the sympathetic nervous system is nevertheless involved in the continued release of excess cortisol, however arousal is not as high, due to lowered levels of adrenaline and noradrenaline. If an individual manages to adapt to and meet the demands of the stressor, then the parasympathetic nervous system is activated, and an individual's internal activity levels return back to homeostatic, balanced functioning.  However, if the stressor is not overcome, then the individual will enter the third stage, exhaustion, whereby the prolonged activation of the sympathetic nervous system and the presence of cortisol causes the depletion of the body's internal resources, the sympathetic nervous system can no longer function effectively, and it will take the body a long time to return to homeostasis due to the likely reduction in health status.

tbh idk how to answer this so I just wrote a lot. It’s not really clear in my textbook which NS is activated, which is why I practically just inferred everything. I don't have an answer for this question, but I googled it online and found this:

1: Alarm
Upon perceiving a stressor, the body reacts with a “fight-or-flight” response and the sympathetic nervous system is stimulated as the body’s resources are mobilized to meet the threat or danger.

2: Resistance
The body resists and compensates as the parasympathetic nervous system attempts to return many physiological functions to normal levels while body focuses resources against the stressor and remains on alert.

3: Exhaustion
If the stressor or stressors continue beyond the body’s capacity, the resources become exhausted and the body is susceptible to disease and death.

Is it true that the parasympathetic nervous system is active during resistance? Or are they both active, and parasymp is just dominant?

... Also are we allowed to use extra paper in the exam? (other than the paper they give us) writing too much (useless information)  is a MAJOR problem for me.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 11:31:22 am by studyingg »

studyingg

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1188 on: September 27, 2018, 11:34:05 am »
Thanks btw to miniturtle and peter.g15 for the answers!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1189 on: September 27, 2018, 11:36:57 am »

There are extra pages in the back,  from memory I used two of them (1 for 10 marker & 1 for other questions) and there was still extra space.  You can also request a second book.  Do not bring in your own paper to write on.

How many marks are you answering that question for?

studyingg

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1190 on: September 27, 2018, 11:40:40 am »
There are extra pages in the back,  from memory I used two of them (1 for 10 marker & 1 for other questions) and there was still extra space.  You can also request a second book.  Do not bring in your own paper to write on.

How many marks are you answering that question for?

It's just a text book question, so It does not have any mark allocation or an answer lol. I think realistically, it would be a three mark question (1 for each stage maybe - but I really don't know). Also thanks for the response! I probably wont need it but I don't want to be in situation where I waste all my space in the exam, because i tend to do so in SACs.

sdfg

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #1191 on: September 27, 2018, 11:49:32 am »
+1
1. Which branch of the autonomic nervous system is dominant when an individual is adapting to a stressor, according to the General adaptation syndrome?
-I said:
Initially, the sympathetic nervous system is dominant during the countershock substage of the first stage of the model,  alarm reaction, as during countershock an individual's resistance rises above normal levels due to the increased release of adrenaline, noradrenaline and cortisol caused by the dominance of the sympathetic nervous system. In the second stage, resistance, whereby the individual's resistance to a stressor is above normal levels, however their level of arousal is lower (relative to countershock) thus, the sympathetic nervous system is nevertheless involved in the continued release of excess cortisol, however arousal is not as high, due to lowered levels of adrenaline and noradrenaline. If an individual manages to adapt to and meet the demands of the stressor, then the parasympathetic nervous system is activated, and an individual's internal activity levels return back to homeostatic, balanced functioning.  However, if the stressor is not overcome, then the individual will enter the third stage, exhaustion, whereby the prolonged activation of the sympathetic nervous system and the presence of cortisol causes the depletion of the body's internal resources, the sympathetic nervous system can no longer function effectively, and it will take the body a long time to return to homeostasis due to the likely reduction in health status.

tbh idk how to answer this so I just wrote a lot. It’s not really clear in my textbook which NS is activated, which is why I practically just inferred everything. I don't have an answer for this question, but I googled it online and found this:

1: Alarm
Upon perceiving a stressor, the body reacts with a “fight-or-flight” response and the sympathetic nervous system is stimulated as the body’s resources are mobilized to meet the threat or danger.

2: Resistance
The body resists and compensates as the parasympathetic nervous system attempts to return many physiological functions to normal levels while body focuses resources against the stressor and remains on alert.

3: Exhaustion
If the stressor or stressors continue beyond the body’s capacity, the resources become exhausted and the body is susceptible to disease and death.

Is it true that the parasympathetic nervous system is active during resistance? Or are they both active, and parasymp is just dominant?

... Also are we allowed to use extra paper in the exam? (other than the paper they give us) writing too much (useless information)  is a MAJOR problem for me.

Hey studyingg,
- Is there a mark allocation for that question? That should guide how much you need to write in order to get full marks.
- Try and reread the question - there's a keyword in there that I think you might've missed. What you have is fine but I don't think it'd get full marks because you haven't really answered the question. Hint:

- Yep, both branches of the autonomic system are always activated - it's just a matter of one being dominant/more activated than the other at times.
- And yeah, you can ask for more paper but ideally you should try and improve on the overwriting part cause this is an exam and you don't want to waste your time on stuff you won't get marks for.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 11:53:43 am by sdfg »
Psychology [45] | HHD [47]

studyingg

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1192 on: September 27, 2018, 11:58:03 am »
+1
Hey studyingg,
- Is there a mark allocation for that question? That should guide how much you need to write in order to get full marks.
- Try and reread the question - there's a keyword in there that I think you might've missed. What you have is fine but I don't think it'd get full marks because you haven't really answered the question. Hint:
(Image removed from quote.)
- Both branches of the autonomic system are always activated - it's just a matter of one being dominant/more activated than the other at times.
- Yep, you can ask for more paper but ideally you should try and improve on the overwriting part cause this is an exam and you do time limits.

Dominant? Hahaha whoops.
How about this:
1. Alarm reaction: the parasympathetic nervous system is initially dominant in the first substage (shock), however the sympathetic nervous system subsequently dominates during the second substage (counter shock)

2. Resistance: Although the sympathetic nervous system is more active than normal (as it is causing an increase in cortisol levels), the parasympathetic nervous system is dominant, as moderate levels of arousal are necessary for optimal resistance.

3. Exhaustion:  The functioning of the sympathetic nervous system is compromised, and its activity levels decrease, therefore the parasympathetic nervous system is dominant, as the body attempts to return to normal functioning, despite a reduction in health status.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 12:02:20 pm by studyingg »

sdfg

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1193 on: September 27, 2018, 12:07:30 pm »
+2
Dominant? Hahaha whoops.
How about this:
1. Alarm reaction: the parasympathetic nervous system is initially dominant in the first substage (shock), however the sympathetic nervous system subsequently dominates, during the second substage (counter shock)

2. Resistance: Although the sympathetic nervous system is more active than normal (as it is causing an increase in cortisol levels), the parasympathetic nervous system is dominant, as moderate levels of arousal are necessary for optimal resistance.

3. Exhaustion:  The functioning of the sympathetic nervous system is compromised, and its activity levels decrease, therefore the parasympathetic nervous system is dominant, as the body attempts to return to normal functioning, despite a reduction in health status.

That's better in terms of being to the point and without the fluff, but I still don't think you've fully answered the question yet. The question is concerned about which system is dominant when individuals are adapting to a stressor (i.e. when their resistance to the stressor increases) so the only stages that you should include in your answer are the counter shock and resistance stages. The other stages individual resistance decreases so they're not adapting to the stressor and you therefore wouldn't mention them.

studyingg

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1194 on: September 27, 2018, 12:21:13 pm »
+1
That's better in terms of being to the point and without the fluff, but I still don't think you've fully answered the question yet. The question is concerned about which system is dominant when individuals are adapting to a stressor (i.e. when their resistance to the stressor increases) so the only stages that you should include in your answer are the counter shock and resistance stages. The other stages individual resistance decreases so they're not adapting to the stressor and you therefore wouldn't mention them.

Ohhhhh woah really? I assumed that adaptation  is referring to what Selye considered 'adaptation'  was, which states that:  it is a sequence of non-specific physiological responses and reactions to any stressor, which can be expressed as resistance over time. And that each stage of the General adaptation syndrome is considered part of the process of adaptation, according to this model.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1195 on: September 27, 2018, 12:26:53 pm »
+1
great convo between the both of you :)

Dominant? Hahaha whoops.
How about this:
1. Alarm reaction: the parasympathetic nervous system is initially dominant in the first substage (shock), however the sympathetic nervous system subsequently dominates during the second substage (counter shock)

3. Exhaustion:  The functioning of the sympathetic nervous system is compromised, and its activity levels decrease, therefore the parasympathetic nervous system is dominant, as the body attempts to return to normal functioning, despite a reduction in health status

I'd carefully consider your response to 2. (The parasympathetic nervous system is not dominant here - arousal is higher than normal and functions such as digestion are lower than normal)

Interesting idea, but I'd say it's much safer to address all 3 components

sdfg

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1196 on: September 27, 2018, 12:36:16 pm »
+2
Ohhhhh woah really? I assumed that adaptation  is referring to what Selye considered 'adaptation'  was, which states that:  it is a sequence of non-specific physiological responses and reactions to any stressor, which can be expressed as resistance over time. And that each stage of the General adaptation syndrome is considered part of the process of adaptation, according to this model.

From my understanding, all stages are part of the adaption process in that you need all stages for adaption to occur, but only during the stages where resistance increases does actual adapting occur (which is the focus of the question). The fact that the question is also worded in a way that it only asks for one branch of the autonomic system inclines me to think this. (And I have feeling that the question is specifically looking for the understanding that GAS has adaptive and maladaptive parts, and requires you to a respond accordingly fairly and squarely)

But I could be totally misinterpreting the question though. Could be totally off and overthinking things so yeah, please take my answer as you will. :P
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 03:13:44 am by sdfg »

studyingg

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1197 on: September 27, 2018, 12:41:45 pm »
+1
From my understanding, all stages are part of the adaption process in that you need all stages for adaption to occur, but only during the stages where resistance increases does actual adapting occur (which is the focus of the question). The fact that the question also only asks for one branch of the autonomic system inclines me to think this.

But I could be totally misinterpreting the question though. Could be totally off and overthinking things so yeah, please take my answer as you will. :P

Nahh it makes sense, perhaps its too ambiguous to know for sure, thanks for the great responses though!! :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1198 on: September 27, 2018, 12:49:15 pm »
From my understanding, all stages are part of the adaption process in that you need all stages for adaption to occur, but only during the stages where resistance increases does actual adapting occur (which is the focus of the question). The fact that the question is also worded in a way that it only asks for one branch of the autonomic system inclines me to think this.

Yeah, I'd consider the first two stages to be adaptive (and the third to be maladaptive) but it's usually safer to give what could be extra/unneeded info than to leave it out.

Can't see any issues with your thought process here, but I'd hate either of you to miss out on marks because you're thinking too deeply/specifically about a word in the prompt

rani_b

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #1199 on: September 29, 2018, 11:01:57 am »
+1
'Stefano is very overweight. As his new year's resolution, Stefano decides to get fit and begin eating more fruits and vegetables. Stefano has weighed up the pros and cons of certain diets and plans to begin his diet in the next few weeks. Identify and explain what stage of the trans-theoretical model that Stefano is most likely to be in.'

Why is the answer contemplation and not preparation?
2019 ATAR: 99.85

Selling: English [50] & Lit [48] essays! PM for details.