Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 10:49:18 pm

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 475532 times)  Share 

rani_b

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +67
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #1230 on: October 06, 2018, 12:17:03 pm »
Hey guys  :),

If anyone has done the 2017 VCAA sample exam, what did they get for Q7e.i?

I personally wrote down independent-groups for my answer. The marking sheet I'm using aren't official answers, but they specified repeated-measures design only as the answer.

"Amelia would use a repeated measures experimental design.
The reason it has to be a repeated measures design is that Amelia has explicitly chosen to use ”the words in List 2” (the non-rhyming words from the original experiment) as well as “the same participants”. Hence, there cannot be two groups. The only “extension of her investigation” is the use of visual images to link with each of the nine words in the second (experimental) condition."

What does that mean?
2019 ATAR: 99.85

Selling: English [50] & Lit [48] essays! PM for details.

studyingg

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #1231 on: October 06, 2018, 01:14:28 pm »
Hey guys  :),

If anyone has done the 2017 VCAA sample exam, what did they get for Q7e.i?

I personally wrote down independent-groups for my answer. The marking sheet I'm using aren't official answers, but they specified repeated-measures design only as the answer.

"Amelia would use a repeated measures experimental design.
The reason it has to be a repeated measures design is that Amelia has explicitly chosen to use ”the words in List 2” (the non-rhyming words from the original experiment) as well as “the same participants”. Hence, there cannot be two groups. The only “extension of her investigation” is the use of visual images to link with each of the nine words in the second (experimental) condition."

What does that mean?

I'm pretty sure I got stumpped on this question as well but basically, the best way to understand it is look at the data-collection table she used (it's how I got it haha). If she were to carry out the third part of the experiment, she would compare the new results from the extention to the results she's already got from list 2 alone, and because she initially used all the participants while obtaining these results, it is only logical that she uses the same participants in the extention in order to compare the effect of pictures.
basically the extention becomes the experimental condition
the original results from list 2 become the 'control' condition (did not use pictures which is the new IV)

Idk if its the only acceptable answer tho

« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 01:22:59 pm by studyingg »

fl982

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1232 on: October 14, 2018, 10:23:51 am »
Hey guys,

The psych study design specifically doesnt include negative punishment.
It says "...and punishment (including response cost)"
Does this mean we only need to know about positive punishment and response cost?
Also im unsure if negative punishment and response cost are the same thing

studyingg

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1233 on: October 14, 2018, 10:35:45 am »
+2
Hey guys,

Does this mean we only need to know about positive punishment and response cost?

Response cost and negative punishment are the same thing, but in your explanations, please use the term 'response cost' rather than negative punishment, as It's better to use terminology from the study design.   :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #1234 on: October 14, 2018, 10:40:33 am »
+4
Hey guys,

Reinforcement: increase chance the behaviour will be repeated
Punishment: decrease chance the behaviour will be repeated
Positive: by applying a stimulus
Negative: by not applying a stimulus/ removing a stimulus

In response cost, a positive stimulus is removed, decreasing the chance the behaviour will be repeated.
So response cost is the same thing as negative punishment

As I hope this makes clear, negative punishment is a sub-category of punishment and therefore is included in the study design. It's also specifically included under the name of response cost :)

KiNSKi01

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #1235 on: October 14, 2018, 04:08:08 pm »
Sup people!

Minor question but just can't find a proper answer to it  :P

In the GAS model, when is cortisol first released?  Counter-shock or resistance?
ATAR: 98.20

'18:
Physics - 42
Psychology - 40

'19:
English Language -42
Chemistry - 40
Further Maths - 45
Maths Methods - 40

studyingg

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1236 on: October 14, 2018, 04:16:17 pm »
+2
Sup people!

Minor question but just can't find a proper answer to it  :P

In the GAS model, when is cortisol first released?  Counter-shock or resistance?

I would say countershock, because there is always a level of cortisol in the bloodstream, it just increases when resistance increases, and resistance first increases during countershock. Luckily, this was in the 2017 exam last year, and it is adressed in the exmination report, where basically, it is implied that cortisol levels first increase during countershock, however the answer of resistance was also accepted.

KiNSKi01

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1237 on: October 14, 2018, 04:20:00 pm »
+1
dope!

Now I remember going over that question during the year XD

'18:
Physics - 42
Psychology - 40

'19:
English Language -42
Chemistry - 40
Further Maths - 45
Maths Methods - 40

rani_b

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #1238 on: October 16, 2018, 08:37:30 am »
Bill was very happy when his son was born. A few weeks after the birth, Bill lost his job and became worried about providing for his family in the future, especially since his wife did not have paid work.

Question 50
When the baby was born, Bill immediately experienced
A. distress.
B. eustress - answer
C. allostasis.
D. the fight-flight response.

Question 51
In terms of Lazarus and Folkman’s Transactional Model of Stress and Coping, Bill’s immediate appraisal of becoming a father was most likely to have been
A. a threat.
B. stressful.
C. irrelevant.
D. benign/positive. - answer

This is from VCAA 2013. I'm just wondering why question 51 has D as the answer? Because Bill experienced eustress when the baby was born, doesn't this mean he appraised it as a challenge, meaning it's stressful?
Or am i overthinking things  :P
2019 ATAR: 99.85

Selling: English [50] & Lit [48] essays! PM for details.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1239 on: October 16, 2018, 08:41:47 am »
+1
Question 51
In terms of Lazarus and Folkman’s Transactional Model of Stress and Coping, Bill’s immediate appraisal of becoming a father was most likely to have been
A. a threat.
B. stressful.
C. irrelevant.
D. benign/positive. - answer

This is from VCAA 2013. I'm just wondering why question 51 has D as the answer? Because Bill experienced eustress when the baby was born, doesn't this mean he appraised it as a challenge, meaning it's stressful?
Or am i overthinking things  :P

I think you're overthinking it, I think they just want you to go "very happy" --> positive

KiNSKi01

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1240 on: October 16, 2018, 10:48:18 pm »
yoooo is the biopsychosocial model (In conjuncton with 4P factor model) that we learn in mental disorders (Unit 4) applicable to questions on stress. What I mean is that content applicable to questions asking us about stress (Unit 3). I am confused  :P

'18:
Physics - 42
Psychology - 40

'19:
English Language -42
Chemistry - 40
Further Maths - 45
Maths Methods - 40

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1241 on: October 16, 2018, 11:52:15 pm »
+1
yoooo is the biopsychosocial model (In conjuncton with 4P factor model) that we learn in mental disorders (Unit 4) applicable to questions on stress. What I mean is that content applicable to questions asking us about stress (Unit 3). I am confused  :P

biopsychosocial model is applicable to everything in psych

KiNSKi01

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1242 on: October 17, 2018, 04:22:50 pm »
Yeah sorry I haven't explained myself very well. Are like the treatments for mental disorders (e.g bio=exercise, psycho=CBT, social, psychoeducation) applicable to managing stress too

'18:
Physics - 42
Psychology - 40

'19:
English Language -42
Chemistry - 40
Further Maths - 45
Maths Methods - 40

SameManSame123

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1243 on: October 17, 2018, 05:26:49 pm »
Hey everyone. Hope y'all exam preparation is going well. So I have completed my course notes not long ago for this subject. However, looking back at it, I realise that some parts of it are too detailed and unnecessary for the exam. So I am wondering what the best method of cutting parts of notes is. As in if there is a secret method to success XD. Though I highly doubt there is any method other than going through everything, I look forward to some useful tips!. THANKS and good luck for your exam! 15 days left .-. . But hey, we're all in this together.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1244 on: October 17, 2018, 08:05:33 pm »
+2
Yeah sorry I haven't explained myself very well. Are like the treatments for mental disorders (e.g bio=exercise, psycho=CBT, social, psychoeducation) applicable to managing stress too

Exercise is applicable to stress and you could frame psychoeducation through the lens of improving coping flexibility to turn that into a yes as well.

CBT can be used in managing maladaptive stress responses in mental health problems (eg specific phobia) but I wouldn't say "CBT is a psychological intervention for stress" or anything like that.