Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 07:39:33 pm

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 475459 times)  Share 

KiNSKi01

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +9
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #1245 on: October 17, 2018, 08:35:44 pm »
thanyouuu miniturtle!

ATAR: 98.20

'18:
Physics - 42
Psychology - 40

'19:
English Language -42
Chemistry - 40
Further Maths - 45
Maths Methods - 40

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #1246 on: October 17, 2018, 08:45:16 pm »
+1
Hey everyone. Hope y'all exam preparation is going well. So I have completed my course notes not long ago for this subject. However, looking back at it, I realise that some parts of it are too detailed and unnecessary for the exam. So I am wondering what the best method of cutting parts of notes is. As in if there is a secret method to success XD. Though I highly doubt there is any method other than going through everything, I look forward to some useful tips!. THANKS and good luck for your exam! 15 days left .-. . But hey, we're all in this together.

I personally didn't find notes that useful and instead spent a lot of time on practice exam questions and a fair amount of time on teaching others. 

Good luck with your exam preperation!

SameManSame123

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1247 on: October 17, 2018, 08:59:19 pm »
I personally didn't find notes that useful and instead spent a lot of time on practice exam questions and a fair amount of time on teaching others. 

Good luck with your exam preperation!

thanks miniturtle!

rani_b

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #1248 on: October 18, 2018, 05:34:28 pm »
Do we need to know about flashbulb memories?
2019 ATAR: 99.85

Selling: English [50] & Lit [48] essays! PM for details.

KiNSKi01

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1249 on: October 18, 2018, 07:10:04 pm »
+1
Do we need to know about flashbulb memories?

It isn't explicitly mentioned in study design but I'm fairly sure all we would need to know is that it is a vivid and highly detailed memory of an event in which someone first learns of a significant or emotionally arousing event. Also the amygdala contributes to the formation of a flashbulb memory

'18:
Physics - 42
Psychology - 40

'19:
English Language -42
Chemistry - 40
Further Maths - 45
Maths Methods - 40

fl982

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1250 on: October 18, 2018, 11:32:25 pm »
hey guys (for the question attached below)

I distinguished the evaluation of primary appraisal for both Stella and Audrey. However, since it was for 4 marks I talked decided to add weight, and say Stella was experiencing distress as opposed to Audrey who is experiencing eustress. The examiners report provides details regarding only primary appraisal, so would I lose marks here ( -2 marks?) or obtain the full 4 marks given I clearly explained by answer in response to the scenario.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1251 on: October 19, 2018, 07:15:35 am »
+1
hey guys (for the question attached below)

I distinguished the evaluation of primary appraisal for both Stella and Audrey. However, since it was for 4 marks I talked decided to add weight, and say Stella was experiencing distress as opposed to Audrey who is experiencing eustress. The examiners report provides details regarding only primary appraisal, so would I lose marks here ( -2 marks?) or obtain the full 4 marks given I clearly explained by answer in response to the scenario.

You probably wouldn't lose marks since there's nothing to indicate you're wrong.

To get the four marks you should have:
- what is Stella experiencing
- what is Audrey experiencing
- why/how (Stella)
-why/how (Audrey)
Since its 4 marks I would also include
- primary appraisal bring the first step in L&F transactional model
- primary appraisal being subjective and varying depending on factors unique to the individual

Hope this helps :)

studyingg

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #1252 on: October 19, 2018, 09:55:14 am »
Hi guys, hope everyone's exam prep is going well :) I was doing this trial, and kind of got confused for question 49, as to why the answer is A. From my understanding, GABA dysfunction is a predisposing risk factor, whereby an individual is more susceptible to developing an anxiety disorder due to an inherent neurological imbalance. Did not know that it was possible that a phobia can lead to a reduction of GABA in the nervous system.

My question is... do phobias lead to GABA dysfunction which in turn, perpetuates the phobic symptoms?  Or should I just stick to my original understanding?

hi its me again

what is another limitation of the mental health continuum, other than the fact that the boundries between each category on the continuum are indistinct?

Mod Edit: merged double post, in future please edit your original post rather than posting twice in a row :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 07:38:47 am by miniturtle »

rani_b

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1253 on: October 19, 2018, 01:28:22 pm »
+2
My question is... do phobias lead to GABA dysfunction which in turn, perpetuates the phobic symptoms?  Or should I just stick to my original understanding?

I agree with you that GABA is predisposing - but I think the question is worded weird. I don't think it's saying "what has happened to GABA levels because of her phobia" but that it's saying "If GABA dysfunction is part of the reason why Gia developed the phobia, does that mean she has low levels, is more sensitive etc?" Like what does GABA dysfunction mean? So it's A.

sdfg

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #1254 on: October 20, 2018, 12:04:41 pm »
+1
Hey everyone. Hope y'all exam preparation is going well. So I have completed my course notes not long ago for this subject. However, looking back at it, I realise that some parts of it are too detailed and unnecessary for the exam. So I am wondering what the best method of cutting parts of notes is. As in if there is a secret method to success XD. Though I highly doubt there is any method other than going through everything, I look forward to some useful tips!. THANKS and good luck for your exam! 15 days left .-. . But hey, we're all in this together.

Seconding miniturtle's advice on this, especially the teaching bit. Teaching the content to friends and myself in the mirror was where most of my memorisation took place and it also helped me with my understanding of the material (if I couldn't teach it, I knew I didn't understand it well enough so I'd revise until I could teach it).

But if you're concerned about whether or not you need to know something for the exam, check out the study design key knowledge dot points under the cross-study specification, unit 3 and unit 4. That's all the content you need to know cause that's the only content VCAA can test you on.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 12:07:07 pm by sdfg »
Psychology [45] | HHD [47]

KiNSKi01

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1255 on: October 20, 2018, 01:59:30 pm »
Sup  :P

I've got a question about standard deviations with respect to the E.R

Suppose in the exam that the E.R involves an experiment and with the results they provide a standard deviation. Are the only judgements we can make based upon the standard deviation related to how widely spread the data is. Or should we take it a step further and say whether or not this demonstrates relationship (e.g massive standard deviation- this shows that their is a very tentative relationship between IV and DV if not one at all)

TL;DR how should we discuss standard deviations if presented with one in the E.R

'18:
Physics - 42
Psychology - 40

'19:
English Language -42
Chemistry - 40
Further Maths - 45
Maths Methods - 40

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1256 on: October 20, 2018, 03:51:02 pm »
+1
Sup  :P

I've got a question about standard deviations with respect to the E.R

Suppose in the exam that the E.R involves an experiment and with the results they provide a standard deviation. Are the only judgements we can make based upon the standard deviation related to how widely spread the data is. Or should we take it a step further and say whether or not this demonstrates relationship (e.g massive standard deviation- this shows that their is a very tentative relationship between IV and DV if not one at all)

TL;DR how should we discuss standard deviations if presented with one in the E.R

I'd talk about the spread of data (definitely) and that high standard deviation reduces ability to draw conclusions

KiNSKi01

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1257 on: October 20, 2018, 05:32:21 pm »
ok cool!  ;D Too easy

'18:
Physics - 42
Psychology - 40

'19:
English Language -42
Chemistry - 40
Further Maths - 45
Maths Methods - 40

rinner

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #1258 on: October 20, 2018, 08:51:13 pm »
Hey guys, I wonder if anyone had a detailed but succint? answer for how a phobia is acquired though classical conditioning and maintained through operant conditioning. Also for the mechanism of the lock and key model, because I don't really know how to word it nicely. Cheers
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 09:17:54 pm by rinner »

rani_b

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1259 on: October 21, 2018, 12:18:40 pm »
+1
Hey guys, I wonder if anyone had a detailed but succint? answer for how a phobia is acquired though classical conditioning and maintained through operant conditioning. Also for the mechanism of the lock and key model, because I don't really know how to word it nicely. Cheers

Classical conditioning can precipitate a phobia - you can then go on to explain the three stages with the UCS, UCR, NS, CS and CR.
E.g. Before conditioning, the UCS of pain from a needle evoked the UCR of fear of pain from a needle. The NS, approach of nurse, produced no particular response. During conditioning, the UCS and NS were paired together, evoking the UCR. Etc, etc.

Operant conditioning can perpetuate a phobia through negative reinforcement. This is because the removal of the anxiety/fear (aversive stimulus) when avoiding the phobic stimulus (behaviour) increases the likelihood that the avoidance behaviour will occur again. Therefore, their fear is maintained.

As for the lock and key model:
Neurotransmitter is the 'key' - has a distinctive shape
Receptor site is the 'lock' - has a matching shape
The key opens the lock so that the neurotransmitter can have either an excitatory or inhibitory effect.

Hope that helped :)