Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 10:04:50 pm

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 475513 times)  Share 

amanaazim

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #1725 on: October 26, 2020, 07:49:21 pm »
Questions on Memory:

2..can someone explain the roles of the 4 structures of the brain in terms of memory. ALSO what does it mean by creating memories like isn't the memory already created in STM and then just stored in LTM.

Are mine correct though?

cerebral cortex- stores implicit and explicit memories
hippocampus - consolidates/ encodes explicit memories
amygdala- consolidates emotionally arousing memories and adds the emotional component to memories.
cerebellum - consolidates/encodes/creates implicit memories
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 07:53:15 pm by amanaazim »

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #1726 on: October 26, 2020, 09:14:07 pm »
+3
Questions on Memory:
cerebral cortex- stores implicit and explicit memories (predominantly explicit memories)
hippocampus - consolidates/ encodes explicit memories
amygdala- consolidates emotionally arousing memories and adds the emotional component to memories + stores classicaly conditoned fear
cerebellum - consolidates/encodes/creates implicit procedural memories
Made some edits :)
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis

AlannahBottino

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1727 on: October 28, 2020, 11:49:02 am »
+1
Hey everyone,

Does anybody have some psych exams they could post the link to? I have done all of the VCAA ones, and am looking for NEAP, TSSM, STAV, Insight, or basically anything else relevant.

Chocolatepistachio

• Science Games: Silver
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #1728 on: October 28, 2020, 12:00:40 pm »
+3
Company exams are copyrighted and therefore cannot be shared on the forum

AlannahBottino

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1729 on: October 28, 2020, 01:46:29 pm »
Are there any other practice exams that maybe could be shared?

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #1730 on: October 28, 2020, 02:11:25 pm »
+4
Are there any other practice exams that maybe could be shared?
Hey Alannah!
There's a free ATAR Notes practice exam you can find here.
Otherwise for company exams you might be best off asking your teacher if they have any. Most teachers have pretty decent collections of company exams they've purchased from my experience.
If you can't find any company exams though, it might be a good idea to go through all your past VCAA exams and collect up all the questions you didn't get full marks on. You can patch these questions together and make yourself a practice exam. It won't be perfect, but It should hopefully give you some more practice and allow you to re-do some questions you previously struggled with.

Good luck with you psych practice!
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

amanaazim

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1731 on: October 31, 2020, 01:08:51 pm »
are memories an exact replica of the world , like for example in sensory memory does iconic and echoic memory carry an exact replica of the stimuli that is stored in them. And also like for sensory memory would the information/stimuli be stored in sensory memory and then be paid attention too?

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #1732 on: November 01, 2020, 01:12:02 pm »
+3
are memories an exact replica of the world , like for example in sensory memory does iconic and echoic memory carry an exact replica of the stimuli that is stored in them. And also like for sensory memory would the information/stimuli be stored in sensory memory and then be paid attention too?
Your first question is a hard one to answer - I don't think that its something you'll need to talk about in the exam. In terms of sensory memory storing exact replicas of the actual sensory information - I don't think you can quite say this is true - after all you are essentially converting - in the case of a sound - vibrations of the air into something can be stored in the structure of the brain. As such, a consequence on this conversion and processing means I would say its probably inappropriate to say that the sensory memory is a replica of the actual stimuli. I would say that sensory memory is more accurate than other types of memory though as it isn't affected by the same expectations and biases that other memories might be.
Your second question is correct - according to Atkinson and Shiffrin's multistore model of memory, all sensory information is temporarily stored in this 'sensory memory/registrar' where it will quickly decay, unless attention is paid to it where it will then move on to this short term memory.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #1733 on: November 01, 2020, 01:43:21 pm »
I was wondering how to go about questions where the sensory information is visual? Like usually if I’m describing someone touching something hot and including nervous systems I mention the after end neurons in the sensory division of the somatic nervous system in the peripheral nervous system carry this info from receptor sites.

If it’s visual stimuli It sounds stupid to go “receptor site on the eyes”. Is that even a thing?
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

tiredandstressed

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1734 on: November 01, 2020, 02:30:59 pm »
+2
I was wondering how to go about questions where the sensory information is visual? Like usually if I’m describing someone touching something hot and including nervous systems I mention the after end neurons in the sensory division of the somatic nervous system in the peripheral nervous system carry this info from receptor sites.

If it’s visual stimuli It sounds stupid to go “receptor site on the eyes”. Is that even a thing?
Photoreceptors = absorbs light, gives us colour and night vision
This isn't covered that in-depth 3/4 you can expect to get questions that specifically ask for sensation within the body
VCE '17-'18
My guides:
HHD sample questions

lilnilz

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1735 on: November 02, 2020, 01:37:03 pm »
so we were taught the antecedent in operant conditioning in regards to phobia is always the [fear of (stimulus)] but i've marked a prac exam of mine and the answer was [phobic stimulus], what would you put in an exam?

tiredandstressed

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1736 on: November 02, 2020, 02:54:21 pm »
+1
so we were taught the antecedent in operant conditioning in regards to phobia is always the [fear of (stimulus)] but i've marked a prac exam of mine and the answer was [phobic stimulus], what would you put in an exam?
Phobic stimulus is more specific (specify what the phobic stimulus is e.g. spiders)
VCE '17-'18
My guides:
HHD sample questions

lilnilz

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1737 on: November 02, 2020, 03:13:31 pm »
Phobic stimulus is more specific (specify what the phobic stimulus is e.g. spiders)

yes but for example if someone has a fear of birds, would the antecedent be [Fear of birds] or like [Interaction with bird]
thanks!!

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #1738 on: November 02, 2020, 05:14:47 pm »
+6
yes but for example if someone has a fear of birds, would the antecedent be [Fear of birds] or like [Interaction with bird]
thanks!!
The antecedent is the stimuli/situation that occurs before the behavior (prompts the behavior) as part of the three-phase model (antecedent, behaviour, consequence) of operant conditioning. As such, you would only talk about antecedents in the context of a phobia when talking about the perpetuation of a phobia via the process of operant conditioning and in this case the antecedent would be the same as phobic stimulus. When talking about a phobia more generally, its best to call the stimulus prompting the phobic response the phobic stimulus.
Fear of the stimulus is the behavioral response to the antecedent (although you might want to be more specific than this if there are particular aspects of a fear response mentioned in the question).
Hopefully this helps :)
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #1739 on: November 03, 2020, 12:26:38 pm »
Hi everyone.

I'm a bit confused by multiple-choice question 50 in the 2019 exam. I picked C but the answer was A. Why would a small sample size be better in this case? Isn't a large sample size better to use for increased reliability of results and such?

Thank you!