Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 05:29:14 am

Author Topic: Discrete Maths  (Read 18559 times)  Share 

FallonXay

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
Discrete Maths
« on: April 21, 2017, 12:53:27 pm »
Hello!
I'm having a ton of trouble with proofs in discrete maths ( I can barely do any questions  :( )
I've posted a few questions below (Q13, 15a, 16 b/c)  any help would be greatly appreciated!  :)
Thanks.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 02:39:29 pm by FallonXay »
HSC (2016): English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics: Extension 1 || Physics || Design and Technology || Japanese Beginners

University: B Science (Computer Science) @UNSW

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Discrete Maths - Proofs Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 01:40:02 pm »
Hello!
I'm having a ton of trouble with proofs in discrete maths ( I can barely do any questions  :( )
I've posted a few questions below (Q13, 15a, 16 b/c)  any help would be greatly appreciated!  :)
Thanks.
Remember, in discrete mathematics they are EXTREMELY fussy about how your proofs are set out. For these proofs, I'll reduce my explanation but at the reward of structuring my answer the exact same way I would've structured it in the exam. If you post any more from here onwards, I will focus more on explanation, but my proof will be all over the place and it'll be up to you to reconstruct it logically (keeping any necessary and omitting any extraneous details)

Proofs are long so I'm also split posting.

For Q13, the trick was to identify that the LHS took the form (2n)!/n!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 01:44:52 pm by RuiAce »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 02:17:42 pm »
+1

This proof involves prime numbers. So somewhere in here we will use proof by contrapositive.

Note: It is assumed that you know the formula for the sum of a G.P. Note also that the above factorisation is irreducible over Z.

If you just rearrange the formula by multiplying that denominator to the left, you get the factorisation trick I used.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 12:57:47 pm by RuiAce »

FallonXay

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 02:38:58 pm »
Remember, in discrete mathematics they are EXTREMELY fussy about how your proofs are set out. For these proofs, I'll reduce my explanation but at the reward of structuring my answer the exact same way I would've structured it in the exam. If you post any more from here onwards, I will focus more on explanation, but my proof will be all over the place and it'll be up to you to reconstruct it logically (keeping any necessary and omitting any extraneous details)

Thanks Rui you life saver!

Also, would you have any tips on knowing when to use contrapositive, direct proofs or contradictions? (Besides a lot of practice :p )
HSC (2016): English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics: Extension 1 || Physics || Design and Technology || Japanese Beginners

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 02:41:36 pm »

It may help to stare really hard at the proof in part b) where we had a numeric example.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 02:42:40 pm »
+1
Thanks Rui you life saver!

Also, would you have any tips on knowing when to use contrapositive, direct proofs or contradictions? (Besides a lot of practice :p )
Hmm.

"Contra-" proofs appear mostly in irrationality and prime/composite numbers. It is advised that you attempt proof by contradiction if you can't figure out why it must be right, but you do know why the negation is just blatantly wrong.

FallonXay

• Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 02:57:11 pm »

In the 4th line, what happened to the 2^n in the denominator?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 02:59:10 pm by FallonXay »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 02:58:08 pm »
+1
In the 4th line, what happened to the 2^n in the denominator?

Note that there are n terms.

I multiplied 2 to EACH of the n terms. This requires n lots of 2s to multiply, i.e. 2^n.

Essentially I expanded it in. Note how the denominator goes from \(1.2.3\dots (n-1)(n)\) to \(2.4.6\dots (2n-2)(2n)\)

FallonXay

• Trendsetter
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 03:03:49 pm »
Note that there are n terms.

I multiplied 2 to EACH of the n terms. This requires n lots of 2s to multiply, i.e. 2^n.

Essentially I expanded it in. Note how the denominator goes from \(1.2.3\dots (n-1)(n)\) to \(2.4.6\dots (2n-2)(2n)\)

Sorry, I don't quite understand how you expanded it? wouldn't you have to multiply it out by 2^n to get (2^n) x (2 x 2^n) x ... x (n x 2^n)?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 03:11:53 pm »
+1
Sorry, I don't quite understand how you expanded it? wouldn't you have to multiply it out by 2^n to get (2^n) x (2 x 2^n) x ... x (n x 2^n)?

I only multiplied 2 to every term. Not the bulky 2^n to every term.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 03:13:44 pm by RuiAce »

FallonXay

• Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 03:13:47 pm »

FallonXay

• Trendsetter
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 04:01:46 pm »
Hello,

how would you prove the following question attached?

(Thanks in advance!)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 04:15:04 pm »
+1
Hello,

how would you prove the following question attached?

(Thanks in advance!)
This one requires a bit of skillful thinking and preferably an abuse of notation to go with it.

(The chapter and question reference is given in your screenshot. If there's any line in the proof they gave that troubles you feel free to bring it up.)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 04:20:09 pm by RuiAce »

FallonXay

• Trendsetter
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 10:17:06 am »
This one requires a bit of skillful thinking and preferably an abuse of notation to go with it.

(The chapter and question reference is given in your screenshot. If there's any line in the proof they gave that troubles you feel free to bring it up.)

I'm assuming the '10' in the answers are factorising out the decimal places? But how do they know what powers to put it to? (i.e 10^m, 10^(r-1), etc)?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 10:40:54 am »
I'm assuming the '10' in the answers are factorising out the decimal places? But how do they know what powers to put it to? (i.e 10^m, 10^(r-1), etc)?
The idea is that in general (i.e. not always), a decimal number that is rational has one part that is terminating, and a part after it that's recurring.

E.g. \(\frac1{12}=0.083333333\dots=0.08\overline{3}\)
The \(0.08\) part is the terminating part
The \(0.00\overline{3}\) is the recurring part

m and r are integers made to distinguish the purpose. Note that this is a proof where you would say let m and n be blah, not 'suppose' m and n be blah.

I believe that the question wants you to take the first r decimal places (or r-1, you can figure that little thing out) to be the terminating part, and the NEXT m-r decimal places to be the recurring part.