Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 05:17:58 pm

Author Topic: ATAR Notes chat.  (Read 3661 times)  Share 

aiming_95

ATAR Notes chat.
« on: November 01, 2011, 05:53:09 pm »
Don't know if this has been suggested before, but how about creating a way where 2 posters can chat privately ? this can be handy in many situations.

Say for example there are 2 posters chatting about the rates of tutoring, or 2 posters forming a deal where they swap notes etc.

This will make conversing much easier, instead of needing to refresh your inbox to await a reply.

Can be done similar to the Facebook chat system.

Thoughts ?

Spheniscidaphile

Re: ATAR Notes chat.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 05:58:10 pm »
there's already a chat feature, and people using it. ask them how to do a private 1-to-1 chat. i'm sure the mods there will be able to help you

Camo

• Sir President Father Professor Sergeant Admiral Grandmaster Camo OAM
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • I love you like the little taco's.
  • Respect: +62
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 05:59:05 pm »
Somewhere over the rainbow
 Way up high,
 There's a land that I heard of
 Once in a lullaby.

Somewhere over the rainbow
 Skies are blue,
 And the dreams that you dare to dream
 Really do come true.

Someday I'll wish upon a star
 And wake up where the clouds are far
 Behind me.
 Where troubles melt like lemon drops
 Away above the chimney tops
 That's where you'll find me.

‎"We divert our attention from disease and death as much as we can; and the slaughter-houses and indecencies without end on which our life is founded are huddled out of sight and never mentioned, so that the world we recognize officially in literature and in society is a poetic fiction far handsomer and cleaner and better than the world that really is."
- William James.

transgression

• de Modular, corp.
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 05:59:27 pm »
+1
You should start your own one ^___^
Quote from:  wah wah
FACEBOOK

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 06:11:32 pm »
A bunch of us hang out in an IRC channel. If you know how to use IRC it's irc.freenode.net #vce
e, don't use the webchat, it results in too much log in/out spam - download mIRC and idle please
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 06:40:19 pm by Russ »

Camo

• Sir President Father Professor Sergeant Admiral Grandmaster Camo OAM
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • I love you like the little taco's.
  • Respect: +62
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 06:13:07 pm »
Re: Chat.

Refer to there.
‎"We divert our attention from disease and death as much as we can; and the slaughter-houses and indecencies without end on which our life is founded are huddled out of sight and never mentioned, so that the world we recognize officially in literature and in society is a poetic fiction far handsomer and cleaner and better than the world that really is."
- William James.

DisaFear

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bravery is not a function of firepower
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 06:19:00 pm »
While on the topic of chat, how about a shoutbox type thing at the top of the page?
Everyone logged in has access
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 06:24:50 pm by DisaFear »

(AN chocolate) <tisaraiscool> Does it taste like b^3's brain?
BSc (Hons) @ Monash (Double major in Chemistry)

aiming_95

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 06:21:43 pm »
System looks alright. Can use an update to make it look more modern though :P

Predator

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 11:04:21 am »
I like the idea of a shoutbox.
Is it possible to implement on this forum?
I have seen it on a few sites that use the same software so I am assuming it is possible.
ATAR 2010: 84.70

Physical Education: 40
Further Maths: 38
Economics: 36
Design & Technology: 35
English: 34
Visual Communication and Design: 34

aiming_95

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 05:23:35 pm »
Exactly.

Would be really handy.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 05:26:48 pm »
Shoutboxes usually get bogged down in a) spam or b) stuff that should go in threads, so for those two reasons I'm kind of against it.

Nina is meant to be organizing stuff at the moment though, add it to her todo list :P

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 06:10:31 pm »
Shoutboxes usually get bogged down in a) spam or b) stuff that should go in threads, so for those two reasons I'm kind of against it.
I don't really like the idea of a shoutbox either. Especially if it was something placed somewhere like in that screenshot. The design is horrible. It seems really obtrusive to me and I would be annoyed by it (though an adblock tool would fix that problem for me).

On it's own separate page wouldn't have that problem of being obtrusive at all though. I'd probably decide to ignore it depending on all the spam on it etc. I'm not sure, but do shout boxes have that 1 on 1 private conversation feature?

I guess there's always MSN etc. There's also that online tutoring idea that enwiabe posted about, I guess a system like that could cater for some of the need for some form of instant communication (though that probably won't cater for general conversation type stuff).

molllz

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 05:52:33 pm »
I agree, make it like a similar facebook chat on the side of the screen, where you can chat with members on the side of the screen if they are online

gossamer

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 05:55:21 pm »
I don't really like the idea of a shoutbox either. Especially if it was something placed somewhere like in that screenshot. The design is horrible. It seems really obtrusive to me and I would be annoyed by it (though an adblock tool would fix that problem for me).

On it's own separate page wouldn't have that problem of being obtrusive at all though. I'd probably decide to ignore it depending on all the spam on it etc. I'm not sure, but do shout boxes have that 1 on 1 private conversation feature?

I guess there's always MSN etc. There's also that online tutoring idea that enwiabe posted about, I guess a system like that could cater for some of the need for some form of instant communication (though that probably won't cater for general conversation type stuff).

My dear, that's IRC for you in a nutshell.

And in my experience, shoutboxes /can/ have a 1 on 1 private chat feature, however I've only worked with IPB forums, not SMF.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 05:58:13 pm by gossamer »